Options

Passed 70-298

fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

Just a quick one to say that I have passed 70-298 today which now gives me both my MCSE and MCSE:Security. The path I took was as follows:

70-270
70-290
70-291
70-299
70-293
70-294
70-298

I do realise that I should have probably left both 70-299 and 70-298 to the end and done 70-298 before 70-299 so I would have had my MCSE first, but never mind.

I spent just over 14 months on my MCSE: Security path. Where I was able to learn new things and put them into practice within my job, which really helped to build on that knowledge. I pretty much used a virtual environment for anything that I could not put into use at my job (Either because it was already in place and working, or not needed) for more practical experience.

The exam itself 70-298, with the case studies isn't too bad. It is certainly tricky in places however after doing all the previous certs and my working experience I felt very much prepared, and managed to get a score of 887 which isn't too bad.

There is not much advice to give for the exam, as if you have done the other certs, and can tick off all the learning objectives you should be pretty much set. Just make sure you pick up some exams sims to get used to the case study style, I used Kaplan Self Test Software, which was good. I also read through the 70-298 MS Press book (What a grind), and read my notes from 70-299. Time management is most definitely the key as you really need to balance reading through the case study and answering the questions, don't give yourself too little time to answer the questions!!

For me now 70-649 looks like my new route followed by 70-647 to get the MCITP:EA. I already have both client exams, so it should be pretty straight forward. All the best to anyone going for this exam. See you over on MCTS/MCITP 2008 forums.

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What did you do for your other security elective? Security+? SSCP? CISSP?
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    What did you do for your other security elective? Security+? SSCP? CISSP?

Ahhhh sorry I forgot to add that. I did 70-351, even though I would have preferred to do something like the CISSP. But I needed to know ISA 2006, as a requirement for my job so that's why I chose it.

Still if I ever get time, I will try and look into a CISSP as it looks quite interesting. I see you have a CISSP, how did you find it?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your MCSE: Security!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations.

Whats next? time off?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Many thanks guys :)
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Congratulations.

Whats next? time off?

MCITP:EA which means 70-649 and 70-647, quite looking forward to studying a change in technology though with server 2008, as I feel I have done server 2003 forever. I have used server 2008, but now I can sit down and have a real good look at all the new functionality.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fly2dw wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Just a quick one to say that I have passed 70-298 today which now gives me both my MCSE and MCSE:Security. The path I took was as follows:

70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    70-299
    70-293
    70-294
    70-298

That's the route I took. Nice work!
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's the route I took. Nice work!

Cheers mate
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly2dw wrote: »
    ...I see you have a CISSP, how did you find it?

A pain. Honestly, I didn't think it was as bad as everyone painted it. Was it a long exam? You bet. Was it extremely broad? Indeed. Was it technical? Moreso than I would have assumed based on everyone's comments about how non-technical it was.

I figured I would be able to handle it, and I only studied about 90 hours (68 of which were from a bootcamp), whereas the average seems like it is about 300 hours. However, I had a lot of experience with Access Controls, Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery, Physical Security, Network/Telecom, and Application Security. I focused on Risk Management, Security Models, and Cryptography. Passed on my first attempt.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Passed on my first attempt.

Nice one!!