Server+ Study Help

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, well I am a student at LCO(Lincoln College Online), a collge based in West Palm Florida offering online classes. I'm earning my Associates in NCIS /W Microsoft Programs. Some of you know me, but this is my fist time posting in the Server+ part of the board. So, here is my issue.

I am currently studying MAINLY for my A+ and Net+ exams, my school is paying for the A+ and I plan on taking that by December, but my current the current classes I am taking this term are Networking Tools and Techniques, and servers.

The networking I'm grasping fairly well, Lincoln has provided a TestOut's LabSim activation for the Network+, and also a Server+ Labsim for my server class, but I am getting smashed in the Server class, having trouble grasping it. I know I can, I just dont think I've found my groove, or learning style. Now since I am a student I have access to Microsofts Dreamspark, it has the Windows Server 2003 and 2008 NOS, and also offers their Virtual PC program. Now considering I have no experience with either of these tools I figured I should ask some of you experts.

Can installing these and utilizing them in different ways be of help ?
Is the Virtual PC program not the right tool to install this server on and 'play' with ?
What can I do to try and hone my skills, I have the LabSim, the text books, and I'm getting showed up on a daily basis by people who obviously have experience hands on. Now even though that probably shouldn't bother me due to the fact I've never even been within a foot of a server, it does. And Id like to atleast show everyone that I can do it, because I know I can. The grades in these two classes are VERY important to me, I need to pass them with 'flying colors'.

So will these two programs help me at all ?
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I doubt if labbing with the server operating system is going to help you a lot if the course is geared toward the material for the Server + as the Server+ is a combination of server hardware, Networking, Storage, and the operating system.
    What books are you using for the course?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Complete Guide to Servers and Server + - Micheal Graves, that is the textbook bought by Lincoln, like I said earlier it also provided the LabSim Server+ Material, which is video tutorials, etc - just incase your not familiar with that.
    Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
    CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
    CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
    Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
    Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
    The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
    TestOut Labsim - Network +
    TestOut Labsim - Server+