I'm now an MCSE:Security

agreenbhmagreenbhm Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, new to the site.

I just passed the 70-298 today, which completes my MCSE:Security track.

Tests I've taken: 270,290,291,293,294,298, A+, Net+, Security+.

298 was definitely the most difficult one, but then again, I hardly prepared for it, as the case studies in my study material were painful to get through.

I'm now on to the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator track. I'm going to take 70-649 in the near future (hopefully), then the Windows 7 test and the 2008 Enterprise Administrator exam. I'm hoping it won't be too terribly difficult (I work with Win 7 and 2008 on a daily basis).

Comments

• brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    agreenbhm wrote: »
    Tests I've taken: 270,290,291,293,294,298, A+, Net+, Security+.

Congratulations on the pass. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if this is the full list of your passed exams you're still lacking 1 security exam. You definitely achieved your MCSE for Windows Server 2003, but for the MCSE:Security you need to take two security exams and from those you listed, only Security+ meets one of the two requirements.

MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Check out the url to Microsoft's site, choices would be: 70-299 (generic MS security overview - all of which was covered during the course of your MCSE studies), ISA 2004 or 2006, Security+, SSCP, CISSP, CISA or CISM.
  • agreenbhmagreenbhm Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought that was the case, originally, but I saw this this afternoon (taken from this page MCSE Certification | MCSE Training | Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ):

CompTIA Security+:
    Note CompTIA Security+ certification satisfies both the MCSE elective requirement and an MCSE Security specialization requirement.

I thought I was going to have to take 70-299, but this suggests otherwise. Either way, I'm not taking 299 :) . I have a voucher available to me for 1 more MS exam. I'd rather use it towards the 2008 upgrade exam than adding the Security specification to my MCSE, if it doesn't already have it. I'll check my MCP profile next week once my test registers and report back as to whether MS' site was misleading.
    CompTIA Security+:
    Note CompTIA Security+ certification satisfies both the MCSE elective requirement and an MCSE Security specialization requirement.

Even that being the case, you still have only satisfied one of two requirements for the security exams (check the url from my last post). Honestly, 70-299 was a piece of cake. Unless you have lots of ISA experience, I would suggest that one.
    You may be right, but like I said, I think it's probably more worthwhile to use my voucher towards a 2008 cert than adding the security designation to my MCSE. Would you agree?
    Practically speaking, I'd say that you're absolutely correct. I've not seen any job requirements specifically looking for an MCSE:Security. It is nice, however, that it does set you apart from your run of the mill MCSE, and you're only one test away from it.

Either way you go, don't wait too long to start the MCITP track. It's far easier than the MCSE tests and there really wasn't that much new to learn. Going right into the 2008 tests after having completed 2003 will ensure a bunch of that knowledge is still there and get you through the few tests in a breeze. Best of luck!
    brewd wrote: »
    Practically speaking, I'd say that you're absolutely correct. I've not seen any job requirements specifically looking for an MCSE:Security. It is nice, however, that it does set you apart from your run of the mill MCSE, and you're only one test away from it.

Either way you go, don't wait too long to start the MCITP track. It's far easier than the MCSE tests and there really wasn't that much new to learn. Going right into the 2008 tests after having completed 2003 will ensure a bunch of that knowledge is still there and get you through the few tests in a breeze. Best of luck!

I've already started reading my 70-649 book. I'll hopefully take that test within the next month. I'm hoping it won't be too hard, given that I actively use this technology at work (and home). Thanks!
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you move on to the MCITP:EA track, what are the chances that you will ever go and complete MCSE:Security? Also, while there are not many indicators that employers are looking for it, I have to think that it is a key differentiator. Plus, if you want to pursue security as a career focus, at some point, that will assist. There is no security specialization or anything for the 2008 exams.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may be right, but like I said, I think it's probably more worthwhile to use my voucher towards a 2008 cert than adding the security designation to my MCSE. Would you agree?

It is almost 100% the same content as the 298. How often can one test get you a new distinction?? Not very often.

If you move on now, you will never make it back. Once the MCSE retires, there is no going back, and MCITP lacks the security specialty.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Took the 70-299 today and passed (just barely). I attribute that to complacency in my studying (and even while taking the exam, as I wasn't too focused and had other things on my mind). Anyway, I passed, and NOW I am an MCSE: Security, officially.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Took the 70-299 today and passed (just barely). I attribute that to complacency in my studying (and even while taking the exam, as I wasn't too focused and had other things on my mind). Anyway, I passed, and NOW I am an MCSE: Security, officially.

Grats icon_thumright.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Officially this time ;)

Congrats
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ha congrats this time, glad I read through the first time. Great accomplishment and way to set yourself apart from the pack.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Epic accomplishment icon_cheers.gif