My new home for about a month

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just passed sec+ this morning and I'm really looking forward to finishing mcse. I'm excited about this test because, well, I love networking. That is all. Carry on.

Comments

• hyperrawr9000hyperrawr9000 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    me too. oh and hi there!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good luck on those 70-293 studies. I'll be joining you as soon as I've knocked out the CCDA. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had the same thought, but here its been 2 months and I'm really not much closer to taking it than I was then.

At least I have a companion now to answer all of my questions
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I had the same thought, but here its been 2 months and I'm really not much closer to taking it than I was then.

At least I have a companion now to answer all of my questions

Let's start a "70-293 trek" thread and see how long it lasts icon_lol.gif

Did you schedule the test already?
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Let's start a "70-293 trek" thread and see how long it lasts icon_lol.gif

Did you schedule the test already?

I bet it doesn't last as long as the security+ trek was.

Not yet. I'm going to buy the 5 pack this week and get it on that schedule. Probably still 2-3 weeks out, this aint easy stuff.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just passed sec+ this morning

Congrats! Good luck on the 293!
    this aint easy stuff.

That's what I want to hear. I admire a good challenge. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is RRAS...
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was pretty freaked out by this test but I got my highest score on the MCSE trek so far. If you did well on the beast you're 80% ready. GPO and PKI are very important but I don't think they're too tough. The hardest part for me was not labbing autoenrollment of user certificates because I didn't have 2003 Enterprise and didn't bother downloading it and recreating my DCs.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    IIf you did well on the beast you're 80% ready. GPO and PKI are very important but I don't think they're too tough. The hardest part for me was not labbing autoenrollment of user certificates because I didn't have 2003 Enterprise and didn't bother downloading it and recreating my DCs.

I did okay on the beast, but I already know that IPSec and RRAS are going to give me a run for my money. Add into that PKI and clustering and you have a very foul tasting soup.

I intend to build a new server to be my Root CA and then I'll make my DC's the issuing CA's and set them up with auto enrollment.

I'm also a little concerned with the wireless part. I watched the nuggets for them, and it looks like CA's coming back except with a new twist. I'm not sure I'll be able to lab up on that though.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just passed sec+ this morning and I'm really looking forward to finishing mcse. I'm excited about this test because, well, I love networking. That is all. Carry on.

Damn you! I am taking it tomorrow icon_lol.gif

Congrats!
    Damn you! I am taking it tomorrow icon_lol.gif

Congrats!

You going to join us in here after sec+?
    You going to join us in here after sec+?

He should probably start with the 290 or 291. Jumping right into the 293 could be the bad news bears.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He should probably start with the 290 or 291. Jumping right into the 293 could be the bad news bears.

Despite adversity and nobody thinking they could do it the Bad New Bears beat the best team. So you're saying that he will overcome this test despite conventional wisdom saying he doesn't have a chance!?!

Think of the movie rights to this story. The modern day epic!

Yeah that was dumb. I don't remember spending much time on wireless apart from what the CBT Nuggets had. I wouldn't stress too awful much, it's a lot less about the details of how it works and more about what to configure and when to use which encryption.

Edit: So apparently typing cbt nuggets like I did caused it to automatically link to the website and pop up a box when I moused over it. Interesting.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Edit: So apparently typing cbt nuggets like I did caused it to automatically link to the website and pop up a box when I moused over it. Interesting.

It did for me too, so I edited my post and just called them nuggets. That'll show the man.

Oh yeah, forgot he hasnt done mcsa yet.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He's probably not likely to either. In his current path he seems to have adopted the attitude of learn the MS rechnology and skip the MS certs. Since he seems to be more aimed at networking/security I think that may actually be a good choice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Do say yet lol.

Truthfully I was just having a conversation with my wife about this very issue. I don't have enough networking experience to get into most of the cisco positions in my area even though I'd like to go into network(ing) security. I am also not very comfortable with my Windows Client/Server knowledge as a whole. I am no longer ok with not just not knowing. I also know that MS bores me a bit and I probably won't study it unless I have a goal in mind (besides simply learning). Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008? My company is using 2003 DCs and will be upgrading to all 2003 and 2008 servers within the next year. I want to be apart of that. I also still need to work on building the win7 image we will use. MCSA (with windows 7 client exam) would match our network perfectly. I also have been keeping an eye on jobs in the area. Most of them want 2008 knowledge/experience. I could go directly to the MCITP:EA and go from there. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each path. I also know It would be one more test for me to go MCSA>MCITP:EA than just MCITP:EA. I might end up going this route. I could probably knock out 290 this year and 291 early next year.
    earweed wrote: »
    He's probably not likely to either. In his current path he seems to have adopted the attitude of learn the MS rechnology and skip the MS certs. Since he seems to be more aimed at networking/security I think that may actually be a good choice.

That was the plan, until I had an interesting conversation with a recruiter (looking for a security analyst). Basically they were asking me questions about MS technologies that I had no ideas about and they were basically like you need more windows knowledge/experience. It was kind of an eye opener.

My concern with doing SSCP, GSEC and others is that I won't be able to really use those skills because I won't know that basic adminish stuff of windows (and thus won't get the call backs). At the very least I will probably go an MCTS in either windows 7 or AD. Who knows!?! I just got another call about a senior NOC position that is paying about 15k more than I am making and they are heavy cisco, checkpoint and juniper. The place was too far away (over 60 miles) and I am not looking to move yet anyway. What it is going to come down to is do I think I can "force" my way into a high level security position or do I feel like I should round myself...
    I think 2003 is the better place to start, but of course you knew that because thats the path I'm taking. Earweed would disagree, thats why he is taking the 2008 path. In the end, does it matter? Probably not very much.

I like the idea of getting MCSE now, because the name is so well known. I also think that in 5 years when it isn't possible to get one anymore, that I will be viewed as a veteran in the field. Even companies who are upgrading to 2008, probably won't be really using 2008 for at least a year or so. In order to up the DFL or FFL, all of the 2003 boxes will have to be off the network (or at least no longer DC's). At some point I intend to get the MCITP:SA:EA, but I don't need to get it right now. It will still be an option for years to come.
    I actually chose the 2008 path mainly because it will allow me to complete my degree sooner at WGU. It's not a which one is better issue. I had labbed with 2003 prior to starting down the 2008 path because I was initially going to go for the MCSE.
    I still have Server 2003 VMs that I sometimes use to compare it to 2008 and now 2008 R2 (what's different and different steps to configure it).
    I'm totally aware of the lack of knowledge recruiters have of the 2008 MCITP as I have had to explain it to every one I have been in contact with.icon_twisted.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm totally aware of the lack of knowledge recruiters have of the 2008 MCITP as I have had to explain it to every one I have been in contact with.icon_twisted.gif

I don't think this is as big as it once was.
    I don't think this is as big as it once was.

At one point I did a search on monster for MCSE vs MCITP (which would include more than just the SA or EA roles) and MCSE still had many more hits. This was a couple months ago, and things might have changed. I would get new numbers for you, but will not go check monster out on a work computer, even if it is purely for curiosity.
    Down here the MCSE is still king. Most companies still use 2003 and XP.
    Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008?

03 to 08. I only say this because of how much 03 is still out there. Learning both gives you the best of both.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Black.... I would suggest the '03 and then the '08 path, you would be VERY rounded then. I have read many comments on TE about how the '03 helps build on the '08 certs, most seem to think the '08 path is easier that way. It's my plan, plus the WGU portion allows for MCSE 2k3 to be used in place of the MCITP:EA, but the deadline is the 31st of December.

MS is so widely used that you pretty much need MS/Cisco higher end certs to get the good positions. I know that isn't "gospel", but with the current economy, recruiters and employers are using that, along with a BS, to ask for more and even pay less. I struggled with the 293 ( never failed a test like this one before) and my best advice is lab it up.

I am using a Dell Precision laptop with 4 gig/2.5 dual core ghz proc/120 gig hdd.

Here is how I set everything up on the XP host:

1- VM Server is used, it's a free download. VM Player is good, but server allows better host network settings, I can move the USB devices with a click of the mouse between each VM session, and I can back up my VM's (copy) to an external HDD in case I blow something up. You can change the network settings easily from Host/NAT/Bridged, I use NAT when downloading updates from MS, then I moved them to Host so my lab is set up as it's own subnet and everything is working fine as it's own domain.

2- I can run 4 MS servers, 3 Ent for DC/clustering and 1 Standard for a FP server. It's a little laggy once I start them up and the XP VM's listed below, but works. When I mean laggy, I mean with everything running at once, moving from one session to the other is about 1-2 second delay max. I can live with that for what I am trying to do.

3- I have 3 XP machines set up. 512 mg/8 gig partitions/host and NAT for networking. I love the fact that the VM's expand contract their size on the fly.

If I didn't do that, I don't know how I would have been able to put the NLB/Clustering/CA/PKI and GPO portions to good test. With all the info that this test covers, it was the only way for me to really see how everything works.

Now with 294/298/299 due by Dec. 31st (my personal goals for the :S designator), that same set up is helpful for rest of the tests. When I start to work on the MCITP stuff, my lab will already be in place for adding 2k8 stuff. At that point, I can manipulate my current lab domain and already have a second spare laptop to set up a new domain with 2k8 and work on trusts and nesting. That will help in a "real world" scenario, which is exactly what my company is going to do next year.

Sorry if I am long winded on this, and in the 293 section, but this was the only test that really kicked my rear and trying to add enough info about the VM settings, in case someone has never used VM's before. It took me a bit of time just to install and update each VM, but it's been worth every amount of time spent.

Hope it helps.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    I just finished the nuggets. Still have about 200 pages left of the pressbook, but it should be pretty easy since I have some background info already. I'll also need to watch several of the videos again, and of course transcender it up a bit.

I've already been labbing a little with CA's. Next up is to create an IPSec connection and probably review RRAS. I also might pull out some of the 291 videos on RRAS and IPSec since they were more detailed over on that side.
    Do say yet lol.

Now the question is 2003 then 2008 or 2008? My company is using 2003 DCs and will be upgrading to all 2003 and 2008 servers within the next year. I want to be apart of that. I also still need to work on building the win7 image we will use. MCSA (with windows 7 client exam) would match our network perfectly.

I would do the MCSA, then upgrade to the MCITP. You already have the CompTIA electives to use. I think the MCSA and your CCNA would go well together and as you get more experience, it can only benefit you.
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would do the MCSA, then upgrade to the MCITP. You already have the CompTIA electives to use. I think the MCSA and your CCNA would go well together and as you get more experience, it can only benefit you.

More bang for your buck, so to speak. Your elective is already done. You can take the 680 and apply to the MCITP. Then you just have the 290 and 291, and the 290 is pretty easy.

But you miss out on a lot of stuff. The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.
    The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.

Agreed. Knowing AD is a must for any windows admin.
    More bang for your buck, so to speak. Your elective is already done. You can take the 680 and apply to the MCITP. Then you just have the 290 and 291, and the 290 is pretty easy.

But you miss out on a lot of stuff. The 293 and 294 cover lots of fairly critical information.

I grabbed a Mastering Windows 2003 R2 book today. I will pick up a the 2008, Windows 7, Group Policy and SCCM books later. If I really, really like it than I might do 1 test. I was thinking about the AD test for 2008 but that will be a very big if. What I am worried about is getting hooked and next thing I know I am full on for MCITP:EA. I have looked at the objectives and honestly, they did peak my interest but I know that will eat up a bunch of my time. You never know. Since I am labbing my LPIC-1 from the perspective of a mixed environment, I will have some MS studies in there as well (which is why I picked up the mastering book).

What do you guys read to bone up on Windows Security and such?

What do you guys read to bone up on Windows Security and such?

The 291,293, 298, and 299 M$ books cover security fairly well. I also use technet, read security bulletins, etc. I have some hands-on labs for the security portions of these courses if you want.