BGP in home lab

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
Has anyone set BGP up in a lab environment? I have 3 spare routers to play with. They are all using an IGP in the same AS. Should I change their IGP AS to something unique, before I attempt to implement BGP?

Also, I'm guessing I'll need to incorporate iBGP as well? (use loopbacks for this?)

Any tips, recommendations appreciated. Never tried this before

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dissolved wrote:
    Has anyone set BGP up in a lab environment? I have 3 spare routers to play with. They are all using an IGP in the same AS. Should I change their IGP AS to something unique, before I attempt to implement BGP?

Also, I'm guessing I'll need to incorporate iBGP as well? (use loopbacks for this?)

Any tips, recommendations appreciated. Never tried this before

BGP is used to route between AS's, so if your AS systems are not unique whats the point to run BGP in the first place??
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    iBgp routes within your AS and eBGP between others. The point of trying would be to learn that icon_rolleyes.gif

Yankee
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    darkuser posts like someone else I knew under another name! icon_wink.gif

Yankee
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    BGP is used to route between AS's, so if your AS systems are not unique whats the point to run BGP in the first place??

iBgp can also be used with eBGP for load sharing/alternate path when you are dual- homed to one ASN. We have used this before when deploying packages to remote sites that will be connecting to one ASN.

Check it out at Cisco:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml#conf5
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yup it's me .... new name better forum. icon_twisted.gif
    rm -rf /
  • dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    thanks for the help guys