Bl8ckr0uter's Linux+ trek

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
That's right folks its that time again. No Dynamik not that time. For gods sake put that back in your pants. It is time for another trek to a entry level cert lol. I am talking about Linux+.

My study material:

My first official day will be tomorrow.
Practical Guide to Linux Commands
Linux Admins Beginnners Guide
LPIC in a Nutshell (ordering today)
Sed and Awk

I don't think Sed and Awk will be covered to the depth that the book goes into them but that is ok. Nothing wrong with over studying those two (because apparently they are pretty important) http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/58540-rhce-objectives-sed-awk-2.html#post459815.

The plan:

I will expand on this later but my goal is get the first test done by November 20th (a Saturday). I'd like to get the second test done by December 18th. Of course if I feel like I can do them sooner I will but I don't want to get them done any later than these dates.

The environment:
I will for now use my ubuntu laptop and a few VMs but I am building a server as we speak which I want to use at least 2-3 CentOS boxes and a few Ubuntu boxes and a BSD (yes I know this will not be covered by the LPIC but I need to know) and a Windows Server box (probably 2003 and 2008 ) to practice with a mix environments.

Anyone else down for this? (Besides Rogue)

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can only imagine how long this thread will be. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I really want to read your CCNP trek when you start that. (This one, not so much....)

In fact if you decide to give up on the penguin, I can promise you that erpadmin will not be "ridding" you...lol.

Having said that, and in all sincerity, best of luck in your studies and trek (however long or short it be). icon_cool.gif
  • AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hopefully some time in the future, not that high on my priority list right now. Good luck!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I can only imagine how long this thread will be. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I really want to read your CCNP trek when you start that. (This one, not so much....)

In fact if you decide to give up on the penguin, I can promise you that erpadmin will not be "ridding" you...lol.

Having said that, and in all sincerity, best of luck in your studies and trek (however long or short it be). icon_cool.gif

Well you are going to have to wait on that. I have a few things I need to get done before I can start doing that. LPIC-1 is one I need for school (to get out of 2 linux classes) so I need to kill this one quickly. Actually before the start of next quarter lol.

You aren't down for a little Linux studying?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like you've got the whole trip planned out, I'm sure you can knock the exams out on or before your projected timetable. Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    No Dynamik not that time. For gods sake put that back in your pants.
    If I had a dime for every time I've had to say that. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You aren't down for a little Linux studying?

If I needed to do it for work, then I would be down. If it was just to give the finger to MS? Not-so-much. Unix is something I would have gotten into awhile ago, as a lot of shops do use it for SAP/PeopleSoft environments....but there are just as many Windows shops that use them as well....so it was never a real worry. But if I ever had to learn it, as CLIes were NEVER a problem for me to learn, I could in a heartbeat. :)

Best of luck to you once again. :)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm definitely going to watch this thread. It'll definitely help me out when I get back to studying for this. I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again, congrats on the Sec+ :). I think I'm one cert away from being your mirror image if I decide to bang out (physically) the CCNA:Sec before you finish the L+/LPIC-1.
    I'm definitely going to watch this thread. It'll definitely help me out when I get back to studying for this. I said it in the other thread but I'll say it again, congrats on the Sec+ :). I think I'm one cert away from being your mirror image if I decide to bang out (physically) the CCNA:Sec before you finish the L+/LPIC-1.

Oh no we can't have that. There can be only one....

At any rate I thought you were joking about the vacation thing. That sucks man icon_sad.gif
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm interested to see how this goes, I'm half interested in doing the LPI certs as I'm a daily Linux user, just would like to have some proof of it too. Kinda busy with networking stuff at the moment but I'll see how my time is soon enough...
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Honestly this exam wasn't that difficult at all, I took the beta for the new exam and I studied for a few days. I'm in no way a linux expert, I know my way around enough to be dangerous and run linux as my main desktop at home. I have a few linux boxes in my lab at work I use for monitoring and such so I do play in the CLI but not that much.

Networking, Apache, basic command structure, the technotes for the old linux+ exam on here were a good review.

FWIW I had a class in my undergrad on linux and practically all my grad courses used linux for some things. It's amazing how different classes are between a private business university to a well respected research university in course structure.

Don't second guess yourself man on this one it's not too difficult. I think Dynamik had a decent review however and it was still pertinent to the new version I took.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/33258-a.html

I won't complain too much however since I got the cert for free icon_lol.gif
    I guess I should mention that I am doing the new Linux+ (powered by LPI) which is two test (basically the LPIC-1). I still hope your words hold true shednik
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I guess I should mention that I am doing the new Linux+ (powered by LPI) which is two test (basically the LPIC-1). I still hope your words hold true shednik
    Just stick to the objectives, look at the material given in the sticky topic on the LPI corner of this forum, MAYBE get a guide written for LPIC-1 and work through it (I passed without a guide, but compiling prep material wasn't an easy task) and you'll be fine.
    Looking at rogue's road, maybe it's a good idea to study per topic rather than x amount of time on y amount of videos/number of chapters read.
    Beside being precise with exam topics, LPI's exam objectives have weight, which is another helpfull hint at producing your own path.
    Of course it will help to use Linux on a daily bases but if you use it just to consume content, it won't help much.
    Good luck with your LPIC-1 quest! icon_cheers.gif
    varelg wrote: »
    Just stick to the objectives, look at the material given in the sticky topic on the LPI corner of this forum, MAYBE get a guide written for LPIC-1 and work through it (I passed without a guide, but compiling prep material wasn't an easy task) and you'll be fine.
    Looking at rogue's road, maybe it's a good idea to study per topic rather than x amount of time on y amount of videos/number of chapters read.
    Beside being precise with exam topics, LPI's exam objectives have weight, which is another helpfull hint at producing your own path.
    Of course it will help to use Linux on a daily bases but if you use it just to consume content, it won't help much.
    Good luck with your LPIC-1 quest! icon_cheers.gif

What did you use to pass? I know you listed it somewhere but I can't remember where. Also do you think I have enough material? I also want to do through linux from scratch but that will be later in the year.
    LFS won't be necessary just for the exam and if you are on a deadline. It's good to build up your system from scratch so that you see concepts conveyed into real solutions but it's also time- consuming and takes some patience.
    If you decide to stick with the non- guide plan, it will be very helpfull to get Sobell's "Practical Guide to Linux shell scripting" and get first not second edition (second edition is "enhanced" with chapter for scripting on Mac and some Perl programming so it's not in your scope). Also get the Scott Graneman's "Linux phrasebook", a tiny pocketbook that holds the best explanations on permissions, calculation of effective perms (without unnecessary octal math) and package managers. Don't forget man pages. These helped me with 101. 102 covers client-side networking and books above don't cover it, so it was much more search on the net per topic and learn the syntax of config files (know your config files and their locations and you'll be safe). O'Reilly's "Linux Network Admin Guide" and "Linux Networking Cookbook" helped me but to a certain point, you'll need explanations of how things are set up per 2.6 kernel. I'd repeat the call for reading the man pages.
    For final revisions and checkup of your preparedness go to penguintutor's site, free exam simulations there on level pretty close to the real thing.
    Don't forget to visit the LPIC sticky topic on this forum, there's a great compilation of study resources there that you might find interesting.
    Some would say tldp.org is a great resource as well but in my view it is in a dire need for update.
    As we all noticed, there isn't an entry level Linux cert anymore that isn't LPI- based.
    As per literature you have for prep, LPIC in a nutshell alone will suffice. Too bad it doesn't cover LPIC-2 like the previous edition did.
    Now you have wider choice of updated prep literature, when I passed there was only one guide (Jang's, and not tremendously good reviews at that), now you have 3, updated for new objectives. Sybex's guide came out just in the middle of my 102 prep, in my opinion too much fluff but some may like it that way.
    And on a final note, if you chose "... Nutshell" as your prep guide, stick with it and consult other titles if you feel some subjects aren't explained as deeply as you might think.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

This is on my short list of things to do, but it won't be until next year at the earliest. You should take good notes so I can borrow them. icon_lol.gif

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Man all this Linux talk is making me want this cert as well :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm considering / leaning towards this trek also after I knock out Sec+ on Wednesday, I'm not 100% yet, pondering something with MS on it too... maybe 70-680...

so I will be watching this thread just in case.
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
    Finally got my LPIC-1 in a Nutshell. I overslept on my nap tonight so I am going to do some reading in about an hour or so.
This discussion has been closed.