2011 Certification Plans

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
In the security section, there was already a thread started about this:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/58374-q4-2010-2011-security-cert-objectives.html

But I wanted to start one in a more high traffic area. My plans are
Q4 2010 (few days): Security+ - COMPLETED
Q4 2010: LPIC-1 (November-December)
Jan Q1 2011: C|EH
Q2: 2011: WCNA
Q2: GSEC, A.A.S Network Engineering
Q3: A.A.S Software development (maybe)
Q3:: Possibly GCIA and/or start CCXP
Q4: ????

I just completed the S+ yesterday and I am now working on LPIC-1. I think I want to squeeze the SSCP in there somewhere even though someone told me it was useless lol. CCN(S)P is something I want to do, but I want to be able to focus on it completely. I am ordering the CCNP self study guides however and I am starting to build a lab for the NP/SP. If I switch jobs and get into a role that uses ASAs and such I will start after going after that as well. Basically if I can get GSEC, C|EH and WCNA before I graduate with my A.A.S in Network Engineering I will be very happy. I will be done with that at the end of next summer. I think it is doable. I'd like to be able to squeeze in ITIL foundations in there for resume candy but I might not get to it. I am also playing around with the idea of doing LPIC-2. I don't want to put that to paper yet though. Not until I knock out some of these other certs.

So my goals are actually much lower this time around compared to last time:
This is the last time I swear.

2010:
MS:MCP, MCTS, MCSA MCSA:S
Comptia: Sec+ L+
Cisco: SNRS (CCSP), possibly CCNA:V

Lol I probably changed that stuff around 3 times just for me not to meet like 75 percent of that. I am ok with that though. At the time I didn't have CCNA:Security so I did that. I did the Security+ (finally lol) and I will do the Linux+. I at least now have more career direction. I think that is something I was lacking from those months. I didn't really know what I wanted to do. Well that isn't true. I didn't know that I could do what I want to do without having a ton of certs. Instead of MCSA:S/MCSE:S I am aiming for GSEC. It isn't as many "checkboxes" but it is to the point. Anywho I think that my mentality of doing more with less will help me because I hate not meeting my goals and I love going above and beyond. It will also help keep me focused despite what certain recruiters say. I have a bunch of non cert goals such as scripting, learning pki and different parts of security. I am also strongly considering going to the hacking dojo and/or the elearnsecurity training to help build my chops. I am actually quite scared of the two SANS certs lol simply because of the price tag involved. I actually plan to study for the GSEC for about 6 months, even though I know I can do it faster, I plan to get a the other two certs I mentioned and make sure I cover the objectives completely. I will probably post updates and notes on my blog as I start going.

The GCIA could actually take up the rest of my year in 2011 (about 6 months) simply because I heard it is a bear and I don't want to fail. I am actually more afraid of that cert that the CCXP stuff lol. But we will see. Hopefully by the time I get there, my packet ninja skills will be good enough to get over my fear lol. I am looking forward to it.

EDIT: Oh and now that the CCNP security actually looks like it is coming out, I'd like to take a shot at SECURE and do the CASP beta when it comes out.

So there it is, my plans between now at July/August 2011. Has anyone else thought about what they want to do?

Comments

• za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty cool

Well I havn't thought about it yet but for now I can say (I should finish MCITP-EA) before EOY.

So for 2011

1- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 (although I heard it's hard to virtualize)

2- Renew my CCNA

3- Don't honestly know any ideas ? I'm not planning to seek any Cisco certs though.

Thanks for the thread and good luck for you
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    Pretty cool

So for 2011

1- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 (although I heard it's hard to virtualize)

2- Renew my CCNA
    3- Don't honestly know any ideas ? I'm not planning to seek any Cisco certs though.

You could do CCDA, CCNA:Security or ICND2 to renew your CCNA (I vote CCNA:Security).

What do you mean that the EMA is hard to virtualize?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am currently in a class for A+/Net+ and self studying Security+ for the end of this year...

next year I think I am heading down the Microsoft track at school... I have to decide between a Microsoft track, Cisco, or VMware...

waiting to get a little more experience with the basics before I decide
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    You could do CCDA, CCNA:Security or ICND2 to renew your CCNA (I vote CCNA:Security).

What do you mean that the EMA is hard to virtualize?

Yea I was thinking about CCNA:Security as well although it's easier to do just the ICND2. I think that will be my first goal for 2011.

As for EMA Well this is what I read somewhere here in the forum that it's hard to test Exchange using virtual labs. I didn't research this issue to be honest and I can't really use my work environment as well.

Virtualization sounds a big thing now so I might do the

MCITP-Virtualization Administrator
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I got the CCNP out the way this year so that has put me on a good path for the rest of it. As long as I finish off my JNCIA-JUNOS soon, I'll be on with the CCIP through the early months of 2011.

After that, so long as funds permit, I'm going to jump on the CCIE track. R&S definitely. If I feel like I need a change in the middle of it, I'm probably going to do either the LPIC-1, or JNCIS-SP.

I may do the HP ASE exam at some point too, but I'm not going to shout too much about that, it just happens to be there and I feel like having a go.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    , I'm probably going to do either the LPIC-1, .

There are not a lot of people around here with this cert. I honestly don't "like" the objectives of the LPIC-1 and I find the LPIC-2 more interesting. I don't expect this cert to be a resume game changer but the knowledge of linux will only help me in my quest (for world domination lol).

BTW I read you blog. Very good stuff icon_thumright.gif
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    My plans are to finish my CCNP hopefully by sometime in the summer and then start working on the CCSP and toy with the idea of a CCIE Security. By the end of of 2011 I am planning to complete my masters as well, if all goes to plan I'll have 3 classes left after this semester :D. That takes priority over my certifications however, and I also am slated to lead a Six Sigma project for my green belt.

Wow I guess I have a much busier year then I thought ahead of me, we'll see how much I can get complete.

CCNP, Six Sigma Green Belt, Finish masters, and begin CCSP.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Q4 2010 - Study vacation!
    Q1 2011 - CCNA:S, ITILv3F, Project+,LPIC-1
    Q2 2011 - C|EH
    Q3 2011 - Chill
    Q4 2011 - M.S. CSEC (start)

My cert list for Q4 2010/2011 is short but I've come a long way. I got all my current certs this year and am way beyond burnout lol.

This was my entry from the security thread but I have add the vacation haha. I'm sure I'll change this like 50 times before the end of 2011.
    Hopefully I'm having a vacation in Summer 2011 since this year I havn't got one icon_sad.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    By the end of 2010 I should have my MCITP:EA, BSIT from WGU and be started on studying for the CCNA. I plan to have the CCNA by the end of March 2011. I don't have any plans as far as certs go beyond that.
    I'm already studying some Linux and could go for the LPIC-1. I know that I definitely need to get to work on some Linux skills as Linux is everywhere in the Sys Admin world. Depending on if studying for the CCNA causes me to catch the Cisco bug I may go beyond that. Practically everywhere around my area job postings that have anything to do with NOC work also mention voice so that could be an option.
    I wont really know my plans for 2011 until much later.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just about everything is up in the air for me. The only thing that isn't is CEH which I will probably do in a few months. Other then that I have a list of probables in no specific order.

Microsoft ISA 2006 70-351
    Cisco CCNP
    SSCP (Maybe CISSP)
    Wireshark WCNA
    Linux+/LPIC-1

Some of those my job may want me to get. Other then that I plan on trying to get some college in.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At the moment I'm eyeing up a couple of EMC certs and then to start on the VCAP4-DCA and VCAP4-DCD paths. Note that I said start, I have no idea how long it will take me to get through the blueprints and feel confident in sitting those exams but I will be making a real effort to make good and steady progress towards them. However I think work will want me to get my CCNA back in 2011 so I may have to make that priority depending on my development review in Q1 next year.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is good to see some folks looking at some of the lesser known certs. I'd like to get a WCNA study group going at some point but I am concerned about how many (or few) people would join. We will see though icon_wink.gif

Well at the current point in my career it is more about learning then a job board based statistics of certs which may be the driving point for some people.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The only thing I have planned definitively for next year is the CCIE Written. I had that for the end of January, but since my employer is requiring GSEC, I may push that to the end of March.

After that it's full bore CCIE Lab study time. Depending on how that goes, it may get done at the end of 2011, if not then it's pushed to 2012.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start looking for graduate schools.

I am also looking at taking Visual Basic 1, 2, and 3 at the local community college. Maybe another SQL classes, strictly for business intelligence and report writing. I might also be looking for a Crystal Report class. I think the CC offers one.

My mom gave me her SAP BW study guide / book, I might install that student version of SAP and practice creating reports and querying in SAP.

In other words who knows lol
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    By the end of 2011 (it could be earlier of course), I plan on being a MCITP:EA. Depending on when I finish, I will probably do the 646 so that I have an SA on top of that. (Just because it's one test). Oh, and Project+ (which I could really do now, but I want to focus on getting 70-642 out of the way for either the rest of this year or by 1/2011). Project+ I will probably do by end of Q1 2011.

IF there is time AND it's not messing with my other studies, I plan on also going for the MCITP: Database Administrator 2008.

OTHERWISE, for 2012, I will throw that in there as well as the Virtualization Administrator one. But the MCITP:EA and Project+ are what I'm definitely going to do for 2011.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Currently i'm looking to finish up the CCNP by the year's end/early 2011. After that I have a lot of interest in giving the Linux+/LPIC-1 combo a shot.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The issue I have with certification plans is that I can never stick to them! Work and family commitments always play a part in how well I can go by my plans. But the good thing is, if I have a plan I make that extra bit of effort to get closer to my goals. I may not get to all my goals, but setting them is a motivation in itself.

For 2011 >>

1. MCITP : EMA 2010 (a certainty)
    2. One or two CCA's. (another certainty)
    3. Possibly an SNIA and an MCTS on Sharepoint.
    4. I am seriously considering the VCP, so 1 out of the above 3 might get waylaid.

I am one away from the EA, intend wrapping it up and pick up the MCTS : ISA 2006 before EOY (appraisal early January!!)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    CCIE Written..that's it.lol

Rest and family time while finishing up school and then start prepping for the GMAT.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Either some Juniper stuff, CCIE Written, or both
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right now I'm still focused on 2010. I want to have MCSA Security done this month (two exams), and MCSE Security next month (two more exams). After that I'm thinking Citrix; I have three exams to go for the CCEE, which should take me into early 2011. Beyond that, I don't know any specifics. Overall in 2011, I'd like to do RHCE, VCAP-DCA, and finish the masters degree I started and put on hold a few years ago (6 classes remaining). I will adapt based on changes in certifications. For example, if vSphere 5 gets released then I will want to do the VCP 5.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am planning on finishing up my AAS in Networking, doing the MCITP:SA, and finishing up the windows 7 EST. After that, I am thinking of starting at WGU for BS-IT.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    2011 will be the year of the MCSE for me. I worked with 2k3 periodically in my last position, but never had any incentive to work on certifications. So I'm going to backtrack and try to fill in the gaps in my MS knowledge. On a scale of proficiency, 1-10, I'd say I'm about a 3 or 4 with Server 2k3. So, it should present some challenges. If I finish that before year end, I'll probably start the upgrade to MCITP.

I'm going to try to start reading up on Citrix and VMware along the way as well, but without any certs in mind. We just recently started implementing WYSE devices and currently don't have an official backup for the admin over that stuff. If I could get my skills up to par, I might could squeeze my way into a Jr. Admin position there.

It's shaping up to be a productive year.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What on earth? We haven't even reached Christmas yet! icon_lol.gif

Anyhow, here is my plans for 2010/2011 if I must icon_wink.gif

• Project+
    • CCNA
    • CCNA: Security

Find a Networking focused job...
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I'm planning on finish my CCNA by Thanksgiving, and planning on starting my CCNP, with the idea of finish by the Spring of 2011. I'd also love to take a stab and either Voice or Security (Cisco), but figured NP is the most in demand of the the three. I might even take a stab at knocking out some MS exams and wireless (CWNA)?, as even though I'm not responsible for administration per se, among the duties of my current position, I am responsible for troubleshooting wireless barcode scanners, printers, and other devices.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCNA Security
    CCNP Security

Non-Cert: Practice more Nagios / iCinga

I plan on studying other technologies such as penetration testing, deeper understanding of packet analysis.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right now I'm still focused on 2010. I want to have MCSA Security done this month (two exams), and MCSE Security next month (two more exams). After that I'm thinking Citrix; I have three exams to go for the CCEE, which should take me into early 2011. Beyond that, I don't know any specifics. Overall in 2011, I'd like to do RHCE, VCAP-DCA, and finish the masters degree I started and put on hold a few years ago (6 classes remaining). I will adapt based on changes in certifications. For example, if vSphere 5 gets released then I will want to do the VCP 5.
    Looking back at my 2010 plan, I did OK. I finished the VCP 4, and 3x CCAs. On the downside, the VCP took longer than I predicted, and I didn't start on the RHCE. On the upside, I did the MCITP: VA, I'm on track to finish the MCSE 2003 Security by year end, and hopefully I can make further progress toward the CCEE.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Essendon wrote: »
    The issue I have with certification plans is that I can never stick to them! Work and family commitments always play a part in how well I can go by my plans. But the good thing is, if I have a plan I make that extra bit of effort to get closer to my goals. I may not get to all my goals, but setting them is a motivation in itself.

I had the same problem until I had to remind myself that this game is a marathon, not a sprint. That's why the only thing on the schedule for this year was the CCIP. I've tried to make sure I give myself plenty of padding for each exam so that when life happens, it doesn't throw my plans too badly.

I used to have the grand notions of getting 5 different certifications in a year on 5 different subjects, but it just never worked out well for me. I either procrastinate or my retention of what went before ends up sucking.
    Essendon wrote: »

For 2011 >>

1. MCITP : EMA 2010 (a certainty)

Anyone else have done this cert or planning to do it ?
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I'll be finishing up the MS this year and so next year will be all about the certs. Given that I only have 70-270, 271, and 272 under my belt I'm considering just blowing by the MCSA altogether and pursuing the MCITP:EA. I've got several vouchers purchased via prometric's bundle deal so that will give me some time to work on them should I be unemployed for a while, which I will be starting Wednesday.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM