Got rejected

flying_postmanflying_postman Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got a rejection letter today for a sys admin job that I REALLY, REALLY, wanted and I am feeling sort of bummed. Every thing went so well in the interview I answered every question perfectly which was backed up with examples (it was a screening interview) and that was the greatest interview I had in my life and I was so confident I felt I deserved at least to go to the second round I sent the thank you letters via courier the next day everything went perfectly I felt a genuine connection with the both interviewers I just don't get it.

I have replayed the entire interview in my head since I got the letter and I just cannot see what I did wrong. Here is an excerpt of the letter:
You have an outstanding academic background, which made a favorable impression. We however regret to inform you that we are unable to make an offer to you.
WTF is that?? I don't get upset getting a rejection letter but what made this different is that I was so confident about this one I mean if I can come with my A game to an interview and get rejected what's going to happen for others ?

Is there anyone here who has experience interviewing candidates that can give me some pointers? Sorry for ranting
BTW The company had a drop dead beautiful/smoking hot receptionist. Pity I may never get to see her again. icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

Comments

• CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry about the rejection.

It may well have been that the company already on-board or already selected that was going to move into the position and they were just covering their backsides.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • nknk417nknk417 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like they decided not to hire anyone for that position. I would just move on and remember the good experience you had and go at it again. Good Luck!
  • BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    I recently interviewed for a position and even though "we really liked you", they thought they could get a contractor to do the job cheaper. I feel your pain. icon_mad.gif
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Dont feel too bad, keep on applying. I should say atleast 10 resumes a day...
    What next?
  • NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    Ultimate victory would be to ask the receptionist out on a date, and have her accept!!! Chillin with the girl the hiring manager drools over every day may make you feel a little better ;)
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Sorry about the bad new! Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Their is definitely a job out there for ya though. Good luck!
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Don't assume that you did anything wrong.

It is entirely possible to interview flawlessly, yet another candidate is selected instead. It is important to remember that it isn't always the "most qualified" or "most eloquent" that get the offer letter - other factors typically play a major role. Sometimes it depends on your connections, or the interviewers may have already made up their mind and the interview is a formality, or sometimes the applicant is overqualified and might want to move up too quickly. Who knows?

My point is that sometimes it's impossible to know why you didn't get an offer, even though it seems you are perfect for the job. No point in worrying about it, best just to keep trying til you get it.

-Mike
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Go back & get the girl.
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    That is messed up indeed. There is not much more you could have done. If you could..would it have made a difference? Let it go. Get back back out there.
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    At least you heard back from them. I hate the jobs that dont even notify you that they have hired someone for the position. Just leave you hanging on a string waiting to hear back from them. To me thats bad business. I had a joib contact me regarding a job I interviewed for 4 months prior. I was like "who is this". The sad thing I had already relocated to another city by that time. And they were interested in hiring me. I was like Hell NO. icon_twisted.gif
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • flying_postmanflying_postman Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, I have let it go already but what I suspect is that a candidate made a "lowball" salary offer, I said I'm negotiable when I was asked the salary question and I think they were only looking for cheap labour that's the conclusion I have come up with.

As for the smoking hot receptionist well she is wayyyyyy out of my league (she has such a sweet/angelic voice, and such a cute/shy smile) but miracles can happen right ? icon_wink.gif
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    garv221 wrote:
    Go back & get the girl.

Agreed.
  • Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just curious!

What kind of salary did you ask for and what was his range of salary for this Sys Admin job? Did they ask you technical questions about their servers, email system, backup systems and OS systems. I am going through the same process again right now? Cheers!!! icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • flying_postmanflying_postman Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well when the question of salary came up I said that my salary requirements were "negotiable" and I also said that I wanted to wait until there was a formal job offer before I could discuss salary.

As for the questions they were rather straightfoward typical networking scenarios, server brands etc. Good luck on yours :D
  • wickedkin6s44wickedkin6s44 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    garv221 wrote:
    Go back & get the girl.

Agreed.

go back and get the girl....what do you have to lose man? you don't have the job so even better. =)

GL on your job search
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'd agree that they likely had a candidate in mind, but may have had to actually interview to be 'covered'.

Also, I have known of a place to just interview for future positions as well as some who think they will be filling a position only to have upper management 'reorganize' and the position fall through.

Can be any number of things.

You can always respond back (usually a phone call) to the HR person or person you interviewed with if not HR and inquire what type of candidate you lost out to. Perhaps you were 'over' qualified icon_rolleyes.gif (always my favorite line...particularly when I was in my 20's....Like I have that much experience at 27 that they cannot use me? HA. I did have one place admit they were afraid to tell me what the position paid for fear I'd be insulted. Heck, I'm cheap :) And back before I had a family (and was much younger and dumber) I'd work for almost nothing just for experience....only it gave me to strong of a resume (or so I was told). That left me with different options: New career path OR Go out on my own.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    Yeah, have you figured out what you're gonna say if they call back?
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • needhelpmanneedhelpman Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GO GET THE GIRL AT LEAST POKE HER ONCE U KNOW U WANT TO.
    THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
    ALL THE WAY
  • xjxxjx Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

Is there anyone here who has experience interviewing candidates that can give me some pointers? Sorry for ranting
    BTW The company had a drop dead beautiful/smoking hot receptionist. Pity I may never get to see her again. icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

I felt you, I am in the same boat, I went on a interview on Monday, everything went very well, the man told me they would make a decision by end of the week. I still have not get a call or emai, I guess I got dumpped again. Even I think I am the only one there has the POS experience and Warehouse experience they are looking for in the AD.
    But I am not sure why I did not get selected. maybe because I am a woman ? I have to think this way somehow...not talking about whinning icon_rolleyes.gif

well, since you got a rejection letter, I suggest you send them a letter back expressing your disappointment while reflecting your perseverance, might make impression on them or leave yourself a space for future employeement chance...

PS: maybe you hit on the receptionist too hard or she might be the interviewer's misteress icon_redface.gif

Cheer up, try again next time it is a number 's game icon_idea.gif , at least this is what I am telling myself icon_mad.gif
  • xjxxjx Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, I have let it go already but what I suspect is that a candidate made a "lowball" salary offer, I said I'm negotiable when I was asked the salary question and I think they were only looking for cheap labour that's the conclusion I have come up with.

As for the smoking hot receptionist well she is wayyyyyy out of my league (she has such a sweet/angelic voice, and such a cute/shy smile) but miracles can happen right ? icon_wink.gif

when the interviewer ask me about salary, I always say " what do you offer someone with my experience ? " let them show the card first. It worked 85% time, unless you met some touch HR personal :)

as for the girl, hey, it is her professional to be sweet/anglic voice with such cute /shy smile, that was how she got the job, you shoul aimed higher, maybe this was why you did not get it icon_lol.gif

never hurts to try, maybe after you get her, maybe the jobs will follow... icon_cool.gif