Is it really that bad?

jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
I'm a long time administrator who's only recently began to care about certs, and I'm taking 70-290 in a couple weeks. I've got experience with Windows server platforms dating back to NT 3.51, though I've mostly been dealing with Netware/OES the last couple years (I work in K-12, the last stronghold Novell really seems to have). I haven't been doing as much with Active Directory recently as I'd like, but with the handful of Windows 2003/2008 servers we have, I've done a lot of AD to eDirectory/LDAP stuff that's allowed me to keep up on it somewhat.

Anyway, I feel pretty confident from going over the MS press book, and a handful of practice test collections I've found. I've also got the ExamCram guide for this test to get some final prep in. Are there any "gotcha" areas that get overlooked on this test? I don't want to have a false sense of confidence, but I really don't see anything on the exam guidelines that looks particularly challenging, given my experience with the platform.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    290 is the easiest in the MCSE series and it's not even close. Know backups and group/file permissions really well and you're set.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Its been a while since I've taken it, but I agree. It's mostly questions on AD, permissions, and group policy. Also keeps a heads up for simulations. Check over the exam requirements and cover any grey areas you may have. Although, if you've been using M$ server since NT days, you should have no problem.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Test isn't that bad. If you are concerned get the CBT nuggets. James Conrad does a great job, and it is nice to see what is going on. But since you have already seen it, maybe reading it and doing some tinkering in a lab will be good enough.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • redmossbergredmossberg Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CBT Nuggets help me the most for this exam. You should have no problem though with all your server experience.
    A.A.S. Computer Network Systems
    B.S. Information System Security
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Just passed with 850. Wasn't too bad, really.

Onward to 70-291!
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »

Onward to 70-291!

Congrats man! icon_thumright.gif
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Onward to 70-291!

Good work. 291 is harder, to don't get over confident based on your 290 score!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good work. 291 is harder, to don't get over confident based on your 290 score!

I think thats what happened to me between 270 and 290. I scored something like 960 on the 270 and a month later high 700's on the 290.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□

Onward to 70-291!

Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

I'll be taking this exam in 2-3 weeks
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63