Install Exchange 2007 SP3 on Server 2008 R2 Questions

flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

First off im hoping someone can point me in the right direction as i want to make sure i get this all right!

1 - Im installing my first Exchange 2007 server into a child domain, There is no exchange 2003 servers in the root domain either. It will only be Exchange 2007, do i still need to prepare the domain with the legacypermissions switch still? i would prefer to do my schema updates first before the installation of E2K7, i understand this can be done just running setup, but i want to be on the safe side. The account im using has domain admin permissions and local permissions on the exchange server that will be installed. Is it best to update the schema first and have the account im installing it added to the exchange full adminstrators role first? In the child domain, i have 2 windows 2008 R2 domain controllers, the exchange server is a member, is that fine when updating the schema, ive read that i should have a W2K3 computer joined to do it, but my FSMO role DC is 2008 R2.

2 - My Exhcnage server will be installed on Server 2008 R2. All i have is the service pack 3 installation file, from what i have read is that its the full version of exchange 2007 with SP3, So does it let you choose if its enterprise or standard installations? I have been looking all over for any gotyas for installing exchange on 2008 R2 and the closest is this link, will this suffice, its alot different than installing it on 2003:

How to Install Exchange 2007 SP1 and SP2 Prerequisites on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista: Exchange 2007 Help

I want to make sure i have all my eggs in the basket and if this link is fine, start from the top and work my way down, there is not alot of documentation to installing exchannge 2007 on server 2008 R2, some of its really confusing, so i thought i would ask the experts. I dont have any installation media, so im a bit hesitant as this will become a production machine.

thanks again for any information!

Flames

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is the 2008 R2 a clean install or an upgrade? This may help What's New in Exchange Server 2007 SP3: Exchange 2007 Help
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • flames1000flames1000 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Its a clean installation. Im just not sure if this is a full installation of exchange 2007 or a trial? All i have is the sp3 installation file and what version will be installed?

flames
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's been a while since I last installed an Exchange server, but if it's like the SP1 installation file, it is actually a full install of Exchange 2007 with SP3 integrated in a trial mode.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...