Options

How many of the Ethernet standards actually come up?

samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, how many of these ethernets actually come up in the exams? Just seems alot to remember all about.

100BaseTX
100BaseFX
1000BaseT
1000BaseX
10GBaseSR
10GBaseLR
10GBaseER
10GBaseSW
10GBaseLW
10GBaseEW
10GBaseT

Thanks in advance :D
[Currently Studying : MCSA: Server 2012/MCSA: Windows 8]
[Currently Reading: ]
[Current Qualifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+]

Comments

• Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's no way to know because each test will be different. My testing center told me that they download a new version of the CompTIA test EACH NIGHT! So you never know! Try you best to memorize as many as you can. If you look at them you will notice some patterns in the naming which helps. On the other hand, if this is the ONLY thing you don't know well then you should do alright since they can't have enough on this one topic to cause a failure. But, it might not be the only thing you need to bone up on ? icon_study.gif

Good luck!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep. You could see a ton of questions on all of those or none at all. Depends. Just make yourself a chart and study the heck out of it. That's what I had to do with OSI layers and Port numbers. Heck I was still studying the crap out of port numbers an hour before I went for the test.

Once you have the letters after the cable name down you should do fine. The distances are also fairly simple, since there is really only the 1 for Ethernet.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Yeah this is one a lot of people tend to over study for. Heck i memorized an 8 x 5 table for each bit in binary, and what it translates to if borrowed in a subnet, i memorized the Binary row, the mask you would use, the CIDR for that bit if borrowed, how many hosts if that notation is used and how many networks if that bit were used, a dumped it out onto my wipe board when i sat down at the test. Never needed it, only question even remotely relating to subnetting i got was related to a classful or classless address.

Granted cable types are used a little more, but the generalize a lot more than you think, just get a basic understanding of the three major types, and the few distances within those and you should do just fine.
  • Options
    samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your information guys, im going to try my best to memorise all of them however i do have a bit of a memory problem :/ I find it extreamly hard to read something and remember it, even if i sit there reading the same thing over and over. Which are the 3 main ones you would suggest knowing everything on? Thanks.
    [Currently Studying : MCSA: Server 2012/MCSA: Windows 8]
    [Currently Reading: ]
    [Current Qualifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+]
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Try memorizing them in order from shortest to longest.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    deswedsdesweds Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Add 10Base5 and 10Base2: connector types, CSMA/CD, lack of a hub/switch. I pulled these from the previous edition cuz I would never have believed CompTIA would keep this ancient crap in. They did.

Make sure you know that multimode fiber uses a three-digit nm values of wavelength:e.g. 850nm - and singlemode uses four digit: 1330nm: this trick makes it easy to remember the standards

Dont worry about 10Gbase standards that support SONET

Don't forget 10BaseFL (what the CompTIA domains call 10BaseF).

Know your cable leengths for fiber standards (almost all the copper standards are 100m so they're easy.

Know which standards fit under 802.3ae.

Hint: Twinax is important

I hardly ever come to Techexams.net. If you got my book my email is in the first chapter.

Good Luck!

Mike

Mike Meyers
    Author: All-In-One Network+

Want to know what's happening on the CompTIA scene? Follow me on Twitter: desweds and on Facebook: desweds

Hey guys, how many of these ethernets actually come up in the exams? Just seems alot to remember all about.

100BaseTX
    100BaseFX
    1000BaseT
    1000BaseX
    10GBaseSR
    10GBaseLR
    10GBaseER
    10GBaseSW
    10GBaseLW
    10GBaseEW
    10GBaseT

Thanks in advance :D
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, be sure to be very comfortable on the problem solving steps. I got more questions on those then ethernet cable lengths etc.