Cheapest it certification ?

coding-toting*coding-toting* Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody. I really found these forums very helpful and guiding.
I would like to know which IT certification is cheapest in terms of exam fee ?

Comments

• jaykoolzboyjaykoolzboy Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ccent, about $85 occasionally on getcertify4less
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

In terms of price and worth, the "CIW Web Foundations Associate" is a pretty cheap one at $150.....
  • coding-toting*coding-toting* Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response. But i heard the MS certs are cheapest, like 50$ or something ? i thought there would be sumthing cheaper than that?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for your response. But i heard the MS certs are cheapest, like 50$ or something ? i thought there would be sumthing cheaper than that?

MS certs are like 125 I think. There are some specials which can get you basically another test take for very little money.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are part of the Cisco Networking Academy and you complete the CCNA Exploration 4 exam with an 80% or higher, I think your voucher comes out to between $45-$65. On the other hand, it may not be cheap because you're paying for the class to get access to the voucher (and of course learn the material :))

In most cases, the student discount vouchers are always cheaper than directly from the vendor or through other sites.
  • SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    If you are a student, you can usually take a Microsoft test for about $55, and they often have Second Shot vouchers attached to them.

In addition, MS and Prometric are currently offering a package deal; you can get tests for as cheap as $100 each, all with Second Shot vouchers.

Ex: I paid $500 for five tests, all with Second Shots (which I have no intention of having to use.)
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • coding-toting*coding-toting* Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for the info.
    i am looking forward for a MS cert.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    In terms of price and worth, the "CIW Web Foundations Associate" is a pretty cheap one at $150.....

Do you really feel it has that much value? Any regular price MS exam is $125. Add in a voucher discount and/or second shot and you have at least an MCTS someone has heard of. icon_wink.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I think you have to look at what a certification can do for you. I don't have a problem with dropping $500 to get my MCITP because I know that it will only open up opportunities for me in the future. Look at it this way, if someone came up to you today and said give me $500 and within 1 year you will have $20,000. Would you do it? Of course you would. $20,000 is an amazingly low starting salary in my opinion also just trying to paint a picture for you. If you don't have the money now then slowly progress through the MS certs because they are going to have the best immediate return. Don't be cheap when you are investing in yourself.
    Do you really feel it has that much value? Any regular price MS exam is $125. Add in a voucher discount and/or second shot and you have at least an MCTS someone has heard of. icon_wink.gif

I guess the ellipsis wasn't a good clue that I was half serious. :)

I'm gonna answer this question honestly though.

I and many other WGU IT students had no choice but to take this waste-of-time cert. I have it, but it's not on my cert list because while I earned it, I was pretty annoyed at having to take it and the crap my WGU "mentor" had put me through to get this class out of the way.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer in making lemons out of lemonade. While I would never list this cert in my technical resume (though maybe I'll put it in linkedin....who knows), I would put it in my management one, as this test does test EVERYTHING one has done in IT. (Or if you haven't done a jack-of-all-trades role, like I have, tests everything about IT, including programming).

Mind you, it's no ITIL cert, which truth be told, I've never heard of until I reacquainted myself with TE, but I can sell this cert as a way of saying "I'm familiar enough with such and such group that I can manage them, even programmers."

And I know the OP was looking for a $25 cert (in other words, cheap in the financial sense), but as I just finished becoming a "CIW Associate" icon_rolleyes.gif, I figured I'd have some fun with a play on words. :)
    I guess the ellipsis wasn't a good clue that I was half serious. :)
    No, it wasn't. I need emoticons or I don't get humor....

<Sarcasm >
    <Comment>
    Alternately you may surround your remarks in SarcaXML tags.
    </ Comment>
    </ Sarcasm>
    icon_lol.gif
    I'm gonna answer this question honestly though.

I and many other WGU IT students had no choice but to take this waste-of-time cert. I have it, but it's not on my cert list because while I earned it, I was pretty annoyed at having to take it and the crap my WGU "mentor" had put me through to get this class out of the way.

Having said that, I'm a firm believer in making lemons out of lemonade. While I would never list this cert in my technical resume (though maybe I'll put it in linkedin....who knows), I would put it in my management one, as this test does test EVERYTHING one has done in IT. (Or if you haven't done a jack-of-all-trades role, like I have, tests everything about IT, including programming).

Mind you, it's no ITIL cert, which truth be told, I've never heard of until I reacquainted myself with TE, but I can sell this cert as a way of saying "I'm familiar enough with such and such group that I can manage them, even programmers."

And I know the OP was looking for a $25 cert (in other words, cheap in the financial sense), but as I just finished becoming a "CIW Associate" icon_rolleyes.gif, I figured I'd have some fun with a play on words. :)
    No, it wasn't. I need emoticons or I don't get humor....

<Sarcasm >
    <Comment>
    Alternately you may surround your remarks in SarcaXML tags.
    </ Comment>
    </ Sarcasm>
    icon_lol.gif

Well...glad I am a CIW Associate. icon_cool.gif

As I just finished reading about XML, your code needs to be in all lowercase, for your SarcaXML tags to fly. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously though, even with emoticons, sometimes stuff flies over people heads. (NO not you, just speaking in general. :) ) People (sometimes me too) get sensitive on the Interwebs...
    Well...glad I am a CIW Associate. icon_cool.gif

As I just finished reading about XML, your code needs to be in all lowercase, for your SarcaXML tags to fly. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously though, even with emoticons, sometimes stuff flies over people heads. (NO not you, just speaking in general. :) ) People (sometimes me too) get sensitive on the Interwebs...

Actually it is a dialect of XML based on XAML and the standard for XAML is to use Caml Case. This allows you to build passive aggressive UXes.
    Actually it is a dialect of XML based on XAML and the standard for XAML is to use Caml Case. This allows you to build passive aggressive UXes.

Ahhh.... :D
    Ahhh.... :D

Proper pronunciation is sar-kAhz-muhl. Just in case you were wondering.
    Proper pronunciation is sar-kAhz-muhl. Just in case you were wondering.

BEGIN SARCASM

UPDATE postrecord SET post = "Oh I was.....now I can go to bed soundly now...."

COMMIT SARCASM

[SQL....Sarcastic Query Language.... icon_lol.gif ]
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

I failed the 601, then I passed the 701, failed 702, and then I finally passed the 702.
    I paid about 150.00(per voucher) x 4=$600 in vouchers
    The most expensive exam is the one that you fail.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cheapest I ever did was a free Beta exam from CompTia :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Personally, I think you have to look at what a certification can do for you. I don't have a problem with dropping $500 to get my MCITP because I know that it will only open up opportunities for me in the future. Look at it this way, if someone came up to you today and said give me $500 and within 1 year you will have $20,000. Would you do it? Of course you would. $20,000 is an amazingly low starting salary in my opinion also just trying to paint a picture for you. If you don't have the money now then slowly progress through the MS certs because they are going to have the best immediate return. Don't be cheap when you are investing in yourself.

This is exactly what you should be looking at not how much it costs you. Other than highly technical certifications such as GIAC, CCIE, CCA, VCAP, MCM, MCA, OSCP & OSCE most certifications are pretty close in price i.e. under $400. What are your goals and aim for them!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are part of the Cisco Networking Academy and you complete the CCNA Exploration 4 exam with an 80% or higher, I think your voucher comes out to between $45-$65. On the other hand, it may not be cheap because you're paying for the class to get access to the voucher (and of course learn the material :))

In most cases, the student discount vouchers are always cheaper than directly from the vendor or through other sites.

The voucher is 50% off. And you get to pick one voucher for the 640-802, or one voucher each for ICND1 and ICND2. And the classes are often part of a degree program, so you're not just paying tuition and books for the CCNA.

I really like how the academy web site will show you your scores for everything, including which questions you missed on each quiz and exam. But the actual questions aren't there, just the question numbers. That is so helpful. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Juniper's Fast Track Program has had the free vouchers a year or two back -- and then went to 50% off vouchers. Not sure what the current offers are or if they're still targeting existing Cisco Certified Individuals.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    BEGIN SARCASM

UPDATE postrecord SET post = "Oh I was.....now I can go to bed soundly now...."

COMMIT SARCASM

[SQL....Sarcastic Query Language.... icon_lol.gif ]

My new favorite TE quote. :D