Server+ question

kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'd like to complete my comptia certs with the Server+. I was able to use a great resource to study with for my Sec+, (Darill's book) but there doesn't seem to be anything like that for the Server+. Nothing that jumps out at least. Seems like some have used the Exam Cram and others the Server+ Bible.

Couple of questions:

1. Can anyone who has taken this exam firsthand recommend something? Or give me a heads up on a book to NOT to waste money on.

2. Also, if someone has taken this exam and previous comptia certs like (A+, Net+, Sec+) What was your opinion in difficulty level for this exam relative to these?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if you look at the objectives of the exam it looks like it pulls info from a+ and net+ with a little of the sec+ in it so if you retained that info well you may just need to take some practice tests and see what ya need from there

you may only need a cliff notes type book
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I've been told, the server+ is a fairly useless certification. That doesn't stop me from wanting it, but it does stop my from paying for it. My advice would be to spend your time specializing with a vendor, like Microsoft.

Learning how to use a software platform is going to be more valuable to you than Server+ would be. Plus it would probably be cheaper too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    From what I've been told, the server+ is a fairly useless certification. That doesn't stop me from wanting it, but it does stop my from paying for it. My advice would be to spend your time specializing with a vendor, like Microsoft.

Learning how to use a software platform is going to be more valuable to you than Server+ would be. Plus it would probably be cheaper too.

I can't explain it, but I really want Server+ & Project+... I've seen several posts on this board saying they don't do much, but I am working on A+/Net+/Security+ now and I feel like I should add those two on after I get the trinity down.... I just feel like I like CompTIA, which sounds dumb
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    same here im doing project+ now
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i guess for me - i really would like to have the most foundation possible before i begin the MS track. This particular cert probably won't land me a better job, but i'm not just doing these certs for that reason alone.

After this test, i'm doing the CWTS, just because i'm interested in it and would like to know more.

When the new year begins i'll start the MS track, but will have a basic/general understanding of hardware/software/networking/security and servers. Just a basic foundation to build off of.

The cert may be worthless from a hiring perspective - but if you've never worked with servers before professionally, it's probably not a bad thing to learn about before starting the MS exams. Sounds crazy but i actually enjoy taking these exams and learning about new stuff. I also appreciate greatly all the input i get back from everyone on this site. Def. one of the most useful and friendly forums on the net by far.

Has anyone taken this exam first hand though? What were your impressions in comparison to other comptia exams? Reason im asking is because i used Mike Meyers for the A+ and Net+, and Darril Gibson's book for Sec+ - and i only have the Exam Cram for this test now. Will this be enough? Good material seems thin on this one.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I only had the Exam Cram for this and passed easily. It was the beta test though, so not sure if it's changed at all. But I'd say it's harder than the A+ but easier than the Net+. Still a fairly easy test though.

Don't think it's going to give you any "foundation" for the MS track though, Microsoft doesn't really care about SCSI and fibre channel questions.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    kidainny wrote: »

The cert may be worthless from a hiring perspective - but if you've never worked with servers before professionally, it's probably not a bad thing to learn about before starting the MS exams. Sounds crazy but i actually enjoy taking these exams and learning about new stuff. I also appreciate greatly all the input i get back from everyone on this site. Def. one of the most useful and friendly forums on the net by far.
    From what I remember, the server+ is focused on hardware and the Microsoft track is focused on software. Two totally unrelated certs, IMO. If you're paying for this test yourself I would highly recomend NOT taking it. I use things learned during my MCSE studies almost every day, I don't ever remember using something I learned for the Server+ exam. Only reason I took it was because it was free.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think the Exam-Cram should be just fine for this test. When I took the beta, I didn't study at all and I passed with a fairly high score based solely on previous knowledge from the likes of A+, Network+, and a little bit of stuff from MCSA/MCSE, (but mainly the first two CompTIA exams.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    kidainny wrote: »
    Def. one of the most useful and friendly forums on the net by far.

seems odd doesn't it, what's a message board without people being really mean to each other?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    From what I remember, the server+ is focused on hardware and the Microsoft track is focused on software. Two totally unrelated certs, IMO. If you're paying for this test yourself I would highly recomend NOT taking it. I use things learned during my MCSE studies almost every day, I don't ever remember using something I learned for the Server+ exam. Only reason I took it was because it was free.

+1

There are some similarities, but as you can probably guess, the MS track is going to focus using a Windows OS (both client and server). Sure, there is other stuff in there too. RAID, Subnetting, what a DHCP server does, ect. A+ and Net+ are perfect for the foundational stuff. Not to mention that they are more valuable and cheaper to obtain.

But like a couple people above, I'd like to add the Server+ and Project+ credentials to my resume. Just not right now. There are much better ways to spend my time and money.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    I only had the Exam Cram for this and passed easily. It was the beta test though, so not sure if it's changed at all. But I'd say it's harder than the A+ but easier than the Net+. Still a fairly easy test though.

Heh I thought Network+ was easier than A+.

I took Server+ last year and bombed it. I want to try to get it. Not because it's a good cert or because my company is paying for it (they never do I pay my own way every singe cert). No am I gunning for this one for one reason and one reason only. It beat me. It has become my white whale.
    Don't think it's going to give you any "foundation" for the MS track though, Microsoft doesn't really care about SCSI and fibre channel questions.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill