Is it smarter to fail first?

careerchangecareerchange Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've passed many of the Microsoft MCP exams on first try, but I am wondering if its better to take the tests VERY early just to get a feel for the exam and THEN study hard...

Anyone else try taking the exam before studying? Retakes are free right?

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    It's never a good idea to blow 200 bucks lol.....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'd never think this is smart.

I suspect it is a good way to get flagged for cheating as well, but merely a guess.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Disagree..you should never have the mindset of failing or have that "oh well" attitude. Allowing yourself time to study properly should be your goal. And in most cases, re-takes are not free. I don't know about you, but I don't have money to blow on re-takes.....
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That'd make the test an expensive "Assessment test". If you were to do that for some like the CISSP you'd be out a mortgage payment icon_lol.gif.

Take it at the end of studying so that it'll be more of an "application" of learning rather than just seeing if you could potentially pass based on what you saw on the "first attempt".

With MCP tests you have that second shot but with CompTIA, its hit or miss; the retakes are on your dime.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Repo Man wrote: »
    It's never a good idea to blow 200 bucks lol.....

+1

If it happens, pick yourself up and go with it. But don't plan for it or try to do it.

Even a technology that you are familiar with should have some brief studying. Remember, the point of certifications isn't to rack up as many as you can. It is to have knowledge and show that you have knowledge. Lets say you were a good guesser and happened to pass. Now you find yourself in the real world, and don't know jack.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's smarter to do everything to the best of your ability to pass using legit material.
    This is kinda like asking if you should take your final exam way early into the semester.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 to all of the above. You could also flag yourself as being someone who "feeds" questions to the braindumps.
    It's best, even if you have a free second shot, to study and do your best on the tests.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's smarter to do everything to the best of your ability to pass using legit material.
    This is kinda like asking if you should take your final exam way early into the semester.

One instructor I had gave out the final exam on the first day. He then marked questions wrong and handed it back on the last day. I was feeling pretty good when I scored 70% the first time around. :D

With that though, he had 3 other finals that you didn't get to see. A lab, an open book test, and a closed book test.

By the way, why is this in the Network+ area? It seems more of a general question, or at least in the Microsoft area since he references MCP.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    One instructor I had gave out the final exam on the first day. He then marked questions wrong and handed it back on the last day. I was feeling pretty good when I scored 70% the first time around. :D

With that though, he had 3 other finals that you didn't get to see. A lab, an open book test, and a closed book test.

By the way, why is this in the Network+ area? It seems more of a general question, or at least in the Microsoft area since he references MCP.

NO way!!!!! lol
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Retakes are free right?
    Retakes are not free unless you explicitly signed up for some voucher or special offer to have a free retake, and in that case it's generally only one free retake per customer. Unless there's a deal going on from Microsoft, (or any other certification vendor,) expect to pay full price each time you sit any exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Strategically, if you've got a free retake in your pocket, it's not a horrible idea to take it early to get an idea of what you're up against.

Personally? I would never (and have never) done it for 2 simple reasons -

#1 - My goal is to learn the material not just pass the exam. If I do that, then I only need one shot.

#2 - Pride. I've never failed a cert exam. I would feel wrong if I went back on my normal preparation process just to get a heads up on what I might see on the exam.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've passed many of the Microsoft MCP exams on first try, but I am wondering if its better to take the tests VERY early just to get a feel for the exam and THEN study hard...

I don’t understand your question……. I have spent a lot of time and money studying for the exams, so that I can learn and retain as much info as possible. I think just passing an exam to say you passed it is pointless in my opinion. I want to truly understand the information contained in the certification I’m studying. Also, I would like to be able to each other people about the material contained in the certification.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you already know the material that makes you feel confident that you'll pass.
    Otherwise you are only cheating yourself from the cash if you fail and knowledge either way.
  • careerchangecareerchange Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    K_Rich wrote: »
    Unless you already know the material that makes you feel confident that you'll pass.
    Otherwise you are only cheating yourself from the cash if you fail and knowledge either way.

Disgregard my post all. I was under the impression that there was no cost to take the exam a second time. At $250 a pop, I'll make sure I'm ready before I go.

Now, back to my Sybex book...............
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One more comment if I may. Why not just buy a good quality practice test (at about 1/2 the cost of a retake) and see how you do. You can still use the practice test to help in your studies! icon_study.gif