Juniper lab

Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
So I know that with in the next 2 years, I would like to get my JNCIP. That said, I would also like to build a small lab. The problem is that I am having a hard time finding Used Juniper equipment that is affordable, like Cisco.

Any ideas? I have look at ebay and that is a no go for the most part. I am looking for some routers and switches I guess... Please help me out of my ignorance, as I am more of a cisco guy.

Maybe you could give me an example of a lab that you use? some pics maybe?

Thanks a lot guys.
Eating humble pie.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked into building an olive that can be used in gns3/vmware for the routing aspects? for switching i would assume physical equipment would be the way forward.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    nel wrote: »
    Have you looked into building an olive that can be used in gns3/vmware for the routing aspects? for switching i would assume physical equipment would be the way forward.

Hey Nel,

Good to hear from you again. You know, I did think about Olive but I am not a big fan of emulators. I guess I could resort to Olive as a last resort option. But I most definitely prefer real hardware.

any ideas?
    Eating humble pie.
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Have you looked at the post called "1U Olive"? Basically you can run Junos on a Nokia IP330 firewall, it matches routers specifications exactly to run it out of the box. It has 3 ethernet ports and price of a C2610, you can do just about everything you need for JNCIP.

Cheers
    deth1k wrote: »
    Have you looked at the post called "1U Olive"? Basically you can run Junos on a Nokia IP330 firewall, it matches routers specifications exactly to run it out of the box. It has 3 ethernet ports and price of a C2610, you can do just about everything you need for JNCIP.

Cheers

Yep you can also do that although i have never tried to. I guess it would give you more of an aspect of using "real hardware" but seems pointless imo when you can do the same thing in gns3 etc.

When i was looking for actual hardware it seemed very hard to find juniper kit at reasonable prices. infact near impossible ha. then there seemed to be a strong interest where you would have a good handful of people vying for the purchase thus driving up the actual price too. have you had a look on ebay or are there any at work you could borrow which are lying about? When i attempt my juniper studies im aiming to use emulators for routing and a couple of EX series switches we have as spares at work.

Maybe aldur / zoidberg can suggest better things?

• stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    As far as the Olive/IP330 route goes, beware, you can't do the show chassis commands, and a lot of the class of service options aren't available too.

It might be a case of biting the bullet and just buying one or two Junipers (J2300s, SRX if you can stretch to it), and using olives for the rest. I believe thats how Aldur has done his labs before, although he can confirm.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    nel wrote: »
    Yep you can also do that although i have never tried to. I guess it would give you more of an aspect of using "real hardware" but seems pointless imo when you can do the same thing in gns3 etc.

When i was looking for actual hardware it seemed very hard to find juniper kit at reasonable prices. infact near impossible ha. then there seemed to be a strong interest where you would have a good handful of people vying for the purchase thus driving up the actual price too. have you had a look on ebay or are there any at work you could borrow which are lying about? When i attempt my juniper studies im aiming to use emulators for routing and a couple of EX series switches we have as spares at work.

Maybe aldur / zoidberg can suggest better things?

Although you can do this in VMware / GNS3, using a dedicated piece of hardware to run it is always better, in my opinion anyway. Also runs natively on the box and doesnt require an upgrade to PC to run multiple instances of WMvare for your olives.
  • mkomonmkomon Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For Olives I would take the VMware path. One can get a decent PC for a couple of bucks these days and it can easily run 5 Olives on one device. I also prefer the management options of VMware. The capabilities of both solutions (dedicated box/VMware) are the same anyway.

My $0.02.
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    The lab is just going to get harder to build for the next versions... especially if you consider the SP track... If it is for the ER track... J-Series are good bets... They support the jseries as well as the jsr code which means you could essentially practice both Routing and Security...

I do remember and do know that these things do get expensive... Usually you might want to look @ J2350/4350... I am guessing these should become cheaper as most people end up buying SRX instead...
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
  • Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    The lab is just going to get harder to build for the next versions... especially if you consider the SP track... If it is for the ER track... J-Series are good bets... They support the jseries as well as the jsr code which means you could essentially practice both Routing and Security...

I do remember and do know that these things do get expensive... Usually you might want to look @ J2350/4350... I am guessing these should become cheaper as most people end up buying SRX instead...

THanks guys... I may have to come back to this after my CCNP. My plan is that after my CCNP, I go for my JNCIP and I will end up buying something.

BTW, YOU GUYS ROCK!
    Eating humble pie.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The problem is that I am having a hard time finding Used Juniper equipment that is affordable, like Cisco.
    If you're patient you can find used J2300 routers for between $150-250 on eBay.

The guy that was doing Buy-it-Now (for $450) or Best Offer would drop under $400 for the new-in-box discontinued J2300s -- but he seems to have sold out. Now the best you seem to be able to do on a regular basis is between $450-$500 for the new-in-box discontinued J2300s (though some people are selling used J2300s at that price too icon_rolleyes.gif).

The advantage of being a cat guardian is that everything is a cat toy -- so I just buy Juniper "Cat Toys" and the cost comes out of the Cat Toy Budget. :D
    mikej412 wrote: »
    8 Juniper J2300 Routers (J2300-1T2FEL-S-AC-US)
    1 Juniper SRX100 Services Gateway (SRX100B)
    1 Juniper Secure Access 1000 (SA1000) SSL VPN Appliance
    2 Juniper NetScreen Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems (NS-IDP 1000)
    1 Juniper SSG-5-SH-W-US Wireless VPN Router with Firewall
    1 Juniper Netscreen-5GT (NS-5GT-ADSL-B) ADSL Security Firewall VPN
    1 Juniper Netscreen 5GT (NS-5GT) Security Firewall VPN
    2 Juniper WX-15 Application Acceleration Appliances

Plus the Olives.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    deth1k wrote: »
    Although you can do this in VMware / GNS3, using a dedicated piece of hardware to run it is always better, in my opinion anyway. Also runs natively on the box and doesnt require an upgrade to PC to run multiple instances of WMvare for your olives.

I can see what your saying but there isnt much difference between the two imo. Infact, if people use virtualisation for studying for CCIE's etc then its good enough for me :) i guess its just down to features and preferences available at that time.