Just passed ITIL Foundation V3

ScoobsScoobs Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

Can't remember if I’ve posted here before or not but if not thanks for all the information that people have put up here. There was a lot of useful stuff.

I'll add some links for practise tests for people studying for the ITIL Foundation exam when i get home.

So i passed the exam last week and i have to say i found it very easy, I had self studied for about 2 weeks before hand and took about 6 or 7 practise tests before the day itself.

I completed the test in around 11 minutes and passed although i did not receive a score (do they print that on your certificate?).

Anyway to the point of this post, it is my ambition to become a service manager in some capacity (service operations) as i have 8 years of support experience would taking on the service operations intermediate exam be cost effective?

Would it be cheaper/easier/better to do the capability stream of Operational Support and Analysis?

I pretty much did the ITIL Foundation for under £140 but i suspect my next certification will be quite expensive, can anyone shed any light on best methods for attaining the 21 hours a approved training?

Kind regards[/FONT]
Beer v1 Master
ITILv3 Foundation - Passed
70-270 XP - 17/12/10

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Scoob

Congratulations on passing your Foundation!

Either the SO or OSA courses will be a good way to get some more in depth knowledge on the Operational processes.

As a general rule, the Lifecycle courses are aimed at managers/implementers, and the Capabilities are aimed at day to day 'doers'.

You can view the syllabi for both courses on this site http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationLevels/ITILV3IntermediateLevel.asp

You've got a number of options for training now, what you choose should be dictated by your learning style as well as your budget. Online training is cheaper, but if you end up resitting the exam 15 times it doesn't work out that way!

There is the standard classroom option which is usually the most expensive, and then a number of different e-learning options. Some are remote classroom, some are online videos....have a look around and see what looks good. Most sites offer a 'try before you buy' option.

You'll also find most sites offering a heavily reduced Expert package as well so if you think you might go down that route in the long term, it may be worth considering now.

Hope that helps

Claire
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Scoobs wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Hi all,

Can't remember if I’ve posted here before or not but if not thanks for all the information that people have put up here. There was a lot of useful stuff.

I'll add some links for practise tests for people studying for the ITIL Foundation exam when i get home.

So i passed the exam last week and i have to say i found it very easy, I had self studied for about 2 weeks before hand and took about 6 or 7 practise tests before the day itself.

I completed the test in around 11 minutes and passed although i did not receive a score (do they print that on your certificate?).

Anyway to the point of this post, it is my ambition to become a service manager in some capacity (service operations) as i have 8 years of support experience would taking on the service operations intermediate exam be cost effective?

Would it be cheaper/easier/better to do the capability stream of Operational Support and Analysis?

I pretty much did the ITIL Foundation for under £140 but i suspect my next certification will be quite expensive, can anyone shed any light on best methods for attaining the 21 hours a approved training?

Kind regards[/FONT]

congrats, and the test time is pretty impressive.....
  • ScoobsScoobs Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Scoob

Congratulations on passing your Foundation!

Either the SO or OSA courses will be a good way to get some more in depth knowledge on the Operational processes.

As a general rule, the Lifecycle courses are aimed at managers/implementers, and the Capabilities are aimed at day to day 'doers'.

You can view the syllabi for both courses on this site http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationLevels/ITILV3IntermediateLevel.asp

You've got a number of options for training now, what you choose should be dictated by your learning style as well as your budget. Online training is cheaper, but if you end up resitting the exam 15 times it doesn't work out that way!

There is the standard classroom option which is usually the most expensive, and then a number of different e-learning options. Some are remote classroom, some are online videos....have a look around and see what looks good. Most sites offer a 'try before you buy' option.

You'll also find most sites offering a heavily reduced Expert package as well so if you think you might go down that route in the long term, it may be worth considering now.

Hope that helps

Claire

Thanks for your response Claire, could i ask which route you took and why?
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
    pakgeek wrote: »
    congrats, and the test time is pretty impressive.....

Thanks.

I honestly can't understand why they give people an hour to do that test, I took about 7 or 8 practise tests and i think the longest i spent on one was about 15 minutes and the lowest score i got was 32/40.

Does anyone know where/when i'll find out my actual score (i did the test on a PC in a testing centre)?
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
    Hi Scoobs

I'm not the best one to ask about the route I took as I'm a trainer and I run a training company :D

I took my V2 Manager's and did the Manager's Bridge in a classroom. I also took all the V3 Intermediates (Capability and Lifecycle) when I was classroom training.

Now I develop online courses instead and I've moved away from the classroom route.

I think both routes have pros and cons:
    Classroom - you have to go, it's all over and done with and you benefit from learning with other people...but it's expensive and can feel rushed
    Online - you can procrastinate so you need to be disciplined, but it's also more cost effective and allows you to take your time. Most online training companies allow you to network with tutors and other students too.

I don't have a firm opinion on which is best - I think different types work for different folks.

Claire
    Hi Scoobs

I'm not the best one to ask about the route I took as I'm a trainer and I run a training company :D

I took my V2 Manager's and did the Manager's Bridge in a classroom. I also took all the V3 Intermediates (Capability and Lifecycle) when I was classroom training.

Now I develop online courses instead and I've moved away from the classroom route.

I think both routes have pros and cons:
    Classroom - you have to go, it's all over and done with and you benefit from learning with other people...but it's expensive and can feel rushed
    Online - you can procrastinate so you need to be disciplined, but it's also more cost effective and allows you to take your time. Most online training companies allow you to network with tutors and other students too.

I don't have a firm opinion on which is best - I think different types work for different folks.

Claire

[FONT=&quot]Strangely Claire that was the choice i had before passing my foundation exam, in the end i was very glad i made the decision to self study as there was enough free material available on the net added to the official study book to pass the exam with ease. That said i know that certainly won’t be the case with the intermediate level qualifications.

I think it will be around the £800 mark (perhaps more if accommodation is needed) to attend a 3 days course for the service operation intermediate qualification with no guarantee of success.

I think for me it would almost certainly be an online provider although it does beg the question how does AGM know that you have completed the full 21 hours of training (other than providers say so obviously)?
    Thanks for the heads up on being able to test out providers, I think finding one that you can understand is very important esspeically when subject matter can overlap[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
    Hi Scoobs

As long as you pick an accredited online provider (make sure you check this out before you hand over any money!) their course will have been reviewed to make sure it meets the contact hour requirements.

So, for example, my organisation's courses have mandatory quizzes throughout which demonstrate a delegate has completed a learning path.

There are 9 EIs now that can accredit courses and adminstrate exams - UK people have normally come across ISEB and EXIN only. The 9 EIs are here: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/ExaminationInstitutes/ExamInstitutes.asp

Some of the major online players are if you're starting to look around are:

ITIL Training Zone (my company)
    ITSM Solutions
    Art of Service
    Mountainview

Hope that helps

Claire
  • pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I honestly can't understand why they give people an hour to do that test, I took about 7 or 8 practise tests and i think the longest i spent on one was about 15 minutes and the lowest score i got was 32/40.

Does anyone know where/when i'll find out my actual score (i did the test on a PC in a testing centre)?

I got the test result right away after passing the exam through Prometric.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pakgeek wrote: »
    I got the test result right away after passing the exam through Prometric.

The exams delivered by Prometric typically provide the score immediately.

I don't want to cause any controversy, but finishing that exam in 11 minutes is a bit of an anomaly (16.5 seconds per question). Perhaps they are reviewing your exam.

MS
    I got my certificate today, scored 38/40. I'm really please because i put a fair bit of effort into my study and although i knew i had past straight away to get a 38/40 was nice.

MS - I was done in 12-14 minutes, there was nothing dodgy about it at all.

Now i need to decide where i go from here, I'm considering a foundation project manager certificate. Anyone know anything about Prince2 and if it's worth the cost/effort?

MS - could you advise me on the potential benifits of PMP or project+?

Thanks all once again.
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got my certificate today, scored 38/40. I'm really please because i put a fair bit of effort into my study and although i knew i had past straight away to get a 38/40 was nice.

MS - I was done in 12-14 minutes, there was nothing dodgy about it at all.

Definitely not an accusation on my part...it's just that 12-14 minutes is on the extreme low end of the amount of time required for this exam.

That's an excellent score.
    MS - could you advise me on the potential benifits of PMP or project+?

In the UK you need to be looking at PRINCE2. There is little to no benefit to Project+, as far as I can tell, and the PMP is hot in markets other than Europe and the UK. Check into the PRINCE 2 credentials for project management.

MS
  • oladolad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi guys, i am about to do my ITIL foundations exam, would appreciate it if i can be directed to where i can get practice exam online
    cheers
    Hi olad, you can download a free sample exam from the ITIL Official Site. Good luck with your exam!
  • Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    The exams delivered by Prometric typically provide the score immediately.

I don't want to cause any controversy, but finishing that exam in 11 minutes is a bit of an anomaly (16.5 seconds per question). Perhaps they are reviewing your exam.

MS

They do contact the test provider, I had an e-mail stating that once they had contacted the test centre then the exam would be validated.

I agree that the time of eleven minutes is unusual, I've been using both ITIL and Prince2 on a daily basis for seven years and my ITIL exams took me 40 minutes as it isn't a straightforward exam which may explain the delay.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”