Options

Your CCNP approach

spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
When I did the CCNA I studied for each exam seperately because one built on the other but such is not the case with CCNP. For those of you studying or for those who have already passed did you study for 1 exam at a time, take the exam, then move on? Or did you study for multiple exams at once then just review before taking each exam?

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    One at a time, so its easier to concentrate on each ones concept. With the BSCI/ROUTE, you're sticking at layer 3 so everything has something in common. With BCMSN/SWITCH, you're sticking at layer 2 (mostly, if you dont count the chapter on multilayer switching) so everything has something in common.

It just makes a lot more sense to me to think in a layer while studying. Obviously you have to put it all together (which is what the TSHOOT does, and real life will do too)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Yeah, what stuh said.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I am pretty close to taking ICND2, I plan on immediately jumping into SWITCHING, then ROUTING, then TSHOOT.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess it all depends on how you like to study, I have friends that have studied for a year straight and the knocked out the MCSE taking 1 exam every day in a week.

Then again, for the CCNP I am doing exactly what stuh said. I sat the ROUTE, then the SWITCH and now I have to do the TSHOOT (hopefully next week)...

Depends on you, but however you study just dedicate yourself to it and you will do fine regardless.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I have friends that have studied for a year straight and the knocked out the MCSE taking 1 exam every day in a week.

To retain the amount of information required to pull that off, not to mention at the level of detail required, makes me think your friends either have photographic memories, or they use ****.

If I'm wrong, you should hang out with them as much as you can... they're friggin geniuses.

Just saying.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    mikearama wrote: »
    To retain the amount of information required to pull that off, not to mention at the level of detail required, makes me think your friends either have photographic memories, or they use ****.

If I'm wrong, you should hang out with them as much as you can... they're friggin geniuses.

Just saying.

I knew people back in the day (2000-2001) that did this with the 7 test MCSE 2000. They spent 7 months 8-10 hours a day studying.... but who wants to do that. Id rather spending like 2 hours a night studying and maybe a 4 hour session on one of my days off.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i am planning now to study switch and route. and then take the exams close togather. and to be honest a year on i could walk in and retake my ccna exams with out a problem. you don't have to **** to remember it all. if you lea the theory then there is no reason you sholud ever forget it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.