Options

Videos

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I have the Sybex Kit and Darril's book, but I am wondering about the videos out there. I am reading the books, but concerned about retention. I haven't had to study for anything in years. I know the more senses you use in learning, increases the chances at being successful in grasping concepts. Are there any worthwhile videos out there? I did a search here and found Apex mentioned here, as well as Trainsignal. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I have the Sybex Kit and Darril's book, but I am wondering about the videos out there. I am reading the books, but concerned about retention. I haven't had to study for anything in years. I know the more senses you use in learning, increases the chances at being successful in grasping concepts. Are there any worthwhile videos out there? I did a search here and found Apex mentioned here, as well as Trainsignal. Any thoughts or recommendations?

You really are putting way too much thought into this. I was the same way, and it's the reason why this section is still visited by me. If you have both of those resources, you'll pass on the first attempt. I won't promise a 900....but I will promise a pass. Just study DG's book and use the Sybex as a supplement.

Having said that, I'll still answer your question about videos.

I was going to recommend the Labsim product, but I think they changed instructors. The other guy they had was decent, but when I played this guy's demo on assets, I don't know if it's network lag, his accent, or a combination, but it didn't sound that clear to me. But the LabSim's have excellent practice exams and the crypto section was pretty good.

But DG is all you need, man. I can't stress that enough. The axiom of needing multiple sources does not apply to Security+ and Darril Gibson. That I can speak on experience with my exam as well as the fact that so far....NO ONE has failed using (properly) Darril's book.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Labsim and it was excellent. As to Erpadmins comment about it changing instructors I remember 2 different instructors combined to do the video, some of it done by each instructor.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You really are putting way too much thought into this. I was the same way, and it's the reason why this section is still visited by me. If you have both of those resources, you'll pass on the first attempt. I won't promise a 900....but I will promise a pass. Just study DG's book and use the Sybex as a supplement.

Having said that, I'll still answer your question about videos.

I was going to recommend the Labsim product, but I think they changed instructors. The other guy they had was decent, but when I played this guy's demo on assets, I don't know if it's network lag, his accent, or a combination, but it didn't sound that clear to me. But the LabSim's have excellent practice exams and the crypto section was pretty good.

But DG is all you need, man. I can't stress that enough. The axiom of needing multiple sources does not apply to Security+ and Darril Gibson. That I can speak on experience with my exam as well as the fact that so far....NO ONE has failed using (properly) Darril's book.

I hope you're right. Security+ is not a certification I would have pursued on my own. I was forced to take it because of a job requirement. There is a lot of useful information, but my job is Solaris. I use very little Windows at all and most examples are always in Windows.

As I said Security+ is a job requiremnt DOD 8570, otherwise I would be better suited studying Linux or Solaris, whic I could use on a daily basis.
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I hope you're right. Security+ is not a certification I would have pursued on my own. I was forced to take it because of a job requirement. There is a lot of useful information, but my job is Solaris. I use very little Windows at all and most examples are always in Windows.

As I said Security+ is a job requiremnt DOD 8570, otherwise I would be better suited studying Linux or Solaris, whic I could use on a daily basis.

I can see and understand the trepidation.

You don't need to do any labbing in a Windows environment, that much I can promise you.

Any Windows question you may get can be answered with the process of elimination. That's why the DG book is a better resource than Sybex. You will focus on what you need to focus on....not the extra stuff.

Remember, you only need 750/900. If you get 750, then you get the same certification many of us earned. Yes, the Feds want you to have it and they put pressure on you to get it, but it's not a hard exam. MS would be a different story.

Just keep studying the DG book and you'll do fine.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I used Labsim and it was excellent. As to Erpadmins comment about it changing instructors I remember 2 different instructors combined to do the video, some of it done by each instructor.

I really only used Labsim for the crypto. I knew it wasn't that guy in the video demo. Maybe he was the risk assessment guy.
  • Options
    redmossbergredmossberg Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really like using CBT Nuggets. They are excellent for the Microsoft Exams.
    A.A.S. Computer Network Systems
    B.S. Information System Security
  • Options
    dspeltzdspeltz Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT nugget video for CCNA wireless exam was great!
    Thanks,
    Drew
    070-215, 220-301, 220-302, 640-802, N10-004, 640-721 certified
    Next: SY0-201
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I really like using CBT Nuggets.

I second this. The CBT Nuggets series is one of the best video resources out there. You could always look at Darril's own videos on YouTube as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.