Backup question

JamesHJamesH Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm using the MS press book. I found the thread on here and made the corrections to my book. I'm getting ready to sit the exam, but I'm thinking I may need to get some additional material to fill in some gaps I'm finding through my testing.

QUESTION:

I hope someone can help clarifiy this for me. Thanks in advance!

PG 733 USB Flash Drives "you can not save system image backups to flash memory".

In the measure up test the question is :
You want to make a system image backup using backup and restore.
Which of the following locations can you use as a destination?
- External Hard disk (Correct)
-USB flash drive (Wrong)

How does the computer know the difference between the USB flash drive being plugged into the USB port, and an external hard drive being plugged into the USB port? I thought they both show up as "removable media"

I also though the the external Solid State Drives were the same technology as the USB flash drives. Does that mean that an external SSD hard disk, plugged into the USB port, could NOT be used as destination for a system image back up?

Can anyone clarifiy this for me or shed some light on this subject?

Comments

• IanDDIanDD Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not 100% sure but I beleive its down to the file format, the image needs to be on a NTFS file system and I beleive USB flash memory is formated for FAT32.

I may be wrong but that would be my best guess, hopefully someone else might be able to give you a definitve answer.

I dont recall any such specific questions like that in the exam thou.

Good luck with exam :)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    USB can be formatted anything, as can a HDD. Many USB's come preconfigured with FAT, but that is an easy change.

I think (and I don't know for sure) that the question is assuming that you don't have a USB flash drive that is larger than your current HDD. Imaging an entire system will take lots of space.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • IanDDIanDD Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    USB can be formatted anything, as can a HDD. Many USB's come preconfigured with FAT, but that is an easy change.

I think (and I don't know for sure) that the question is assuming that you don't have a USB flash drive that is larger than your current HDD. Imaging an entire system will take lots of space.

Yes thinking about it u must be right as u can boot to WinPE from a USB stick, maybe they are just assuming that the image size wouldnt fit on a USB stick.

Not sure what the advantages would be, being able to store an image on USB memory stick. Apart from a backup which would be better on a networked drive in an enterprise environment.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IanDD wrote: »
    Yes thinking about it u must be right as u can boot to WinPE from a USB stick, maybe they are just assuming that the image size wouldnt fit on a USB stick.

Not sure what the advantages would be, being able to store an image on USB memory stick. Apart from a backup which would be better on a networked drive in an enterprise environment.

A lot of times questions are phrased as "which option is better" or "which option is best" Half the battle is knowing what they want you to say.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • JamesHJamesH Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'm looking into these last few areas in too much detail. This will be my first cert exam and I've been reading this one is a tuff exam. Guess I'm just a little nervous.

I appreciate the feedback.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    A lot of times questions are phrased as "which option is better" or "which option is best" Half the battle is knowing what they want you to say.

And don't forget the questions that end in, "What do you do first?"or "Requires the least administrative effort?"
    Usus magister est optimus
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also sometime MS likes to not give you the best choices for an answer choice. Sometimes the best answer may not be a choice so you need to read through the answer choices carefully and always know of more than one way to do something.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Flash drives probably have different Hardware IDs so that's how Windows would know. Microsoft could have implemented this restriction given how easy it is to misplace Flash drives.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012