Security+ Layers question

durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've seen many practice questions come up asking things such as "What layer is SSL in?"

My question is, what model is it referring to when it is this vague? Do I assume it's the TCP/IP Model, the OSI Model, or even possibly the DoD model which I've come across recently. If I'm not mistaken, protocols in one model don't necessarily correspond to the same layer of another model..

Comments

• Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    durnenmr wrote: »
    i've seen many practice questions come up asking things such as "what layer is ssl in?"

my question is, what model is it referring to when it is this vague? Do i assume it's the tcp/ip model, the osi model, or even possibly the dod model which i've come across recently. If i'm not mistaken, protocols in one model don't necessarily correspond to the same layer of another model..

osi........
  • durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...Then why in the question "What layer is L2TP?" is the correct answer Link or Data-Link Layer, when according to the OSI Model it's in the Session Layer.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    durnenmr wrote: »
    ...Then why in the question "What layer is L2TP?" is the correct answer Link or Data-Link Layer, when according to the OSI Model it's in the Session Layer.
    Pssst. L2TP = "Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol"

Edit: From Wikipedia: "Although L2TP acts like a Data Link Layer protocol in the OSI model, L2TP is in fact a Session Layer protocol,[2] and uses the registered UDP port 1701." So you may be on to something.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly. I read over that several times trying to make sense of it. I just don't want a layer question to come up on the exam and me be confused about what answer to give.

Anyone that has taken the security+ have any input on how many Layer-related questions came up for them?
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I don't believe I had one OSI/TCP-IP model question on the entire test IIRC.

*edit >> you should remember what types of firewalls there are and where they operate eg> Packet Filtering, ALG etc..
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Unforg1ven wrote: »
    I don't believe I had one OSI/TCP-IP model question on the entire test IIRC.

*edit >> you should remember what types of firewalls there are and where they operate eg> Packet Filtering, ALG etc..

I agree here, what layer does L2TP operate on is more of a Network+ question. And the answer IS Layer 2, I had that question on Transcender, and that was the answer it considered correct, despite the fact i got it wrong the first time for the same reason you are confused about it. Most things are VERY literal in CompTIA, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol = Layer 2. Period.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do not think to hard on a CompTIA test you will fail it if you do. A CompTIA test is an Endurance test not an Analytical Test. Unless a test says according to the 4 Layer TCP/IP Model or the 5 Layer TCP/IP model it is talking about the OSI model.

Rule of thumb, the OSI model is how we explain things work and the TCP/IP model is how things work.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security+ isn't as hard on the OSI model as the Network+ is. It isn't something that I completely understand yet. But the OSI model is going to keep popping up time and time again, and at some point we will all need to be very familiar with it, where protocols are, and how they operate. If you can get it down now, you will just be saving yourself a future headache.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • IT NerdIT Nerd Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you know the TCP/IP layers and the OSI layers, you'll know the correct answer on the exam when the question appears.
    That's all I'll say.