pasting config to switch

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

When replacing a failed switch, my standard method for getting the config on to the new swich, is to console in and do a simple copy/past from a backed up file.

I find that this can cause an issue with large files, with lines getting missed.

do other people come across this and if so do they have any solutions for copying the config to a new switch?

I have used the xmodem protocol to copy the file across and this seems to work fine.

But I was wondering if there was a way to insue the copy past method does not miss lines?

Cheers

DevilWAH
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    have you tried slowing down the transmit rate? i.e. in tera term go to setup > serial port > then edit the transmit delay settings to determine the speed it will be transfered. This will then slow down your copy and paste.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »
    have you tried slowing down the transmit rate? i.e. in tera term go to setup > serial port > then edit the transmit delay settings to determine the speed it will be transfered. This will then slow down your copy and paste.

yer I did try this but even with it set to be 200msec per line it still has issues, and any slower than this, with a few hundrad lines of config it can take forever to copy across.

I think using

#copy xmodem: startup-config

and then sending the config file using xmodem_1k from a terminal emulator like tera term seems to work OK.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't have connectivity to copy it over with TFTP/FTP then you just need to go slow and paste the config in small portions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    If you don't have connectivity to copy it over with TFTP/FTP then you just need to go slow and paste the config in small portions.

you can xmodem over the console port.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    you can xmodem over the console port.

Yeah, but thats way more trouble than pasting it in slowly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

I concur. If I cannot TFTP it in, then I simply copy it in small chunks.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus

actuly I have just been doing this today, things you find out after you ask a question :) .

it really simple all terminual emulators suport it.

#copy xmodem: startup-config

no need to give any file names.

then simple click file >> send/transfer in the terminal emulator, and chose the config file, no re-naming or opening it up. All sorted out for you. and for a config file with 1000 lines of config, you can be sure its copied correctly and you don't miss out lines.

much quicker than slowing down the paste speed or pasting in chunks

we can have a race some time ;)
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I had this issue when I would paste in configs from hyperterminal, I started putting an ip on vlan1 put my laptop in the same subnet, and TFTP the config over. Before I did it this way I ended up sending out equipment that did not have any VTY information configured. The pasting would stop just prior to that so it always looked correct. That was a PITA lesson I wont soon forget :)
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    yer I did try this but even with it set to be 200msec per line

Per line or per char? I've never had a problem in TT using 5 msec/char.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Manually config just enough to get connectivity then tftp.
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I prefer Xmodem and I would never use HyperTerminal. Too many problems in the past.