sscp

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
i just finished up my sec+ and it grabbed my interest so im wanting to learn more about infosec

i know sec+ is a stepping stone in the area is this the next logical step or do i need to look at the ceh exams

i know im not ready for the cissp
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i just finished up my sec+ and it grabbed my interest so im wanting to learn more about infosec

i know sec+ is a stepping stone in the area is this the next logical step or do i need to look at the ceh exams

i know im not ready for the cissp

Do you have 1 year of experience in Information Security (INFOSEC)? If so then you can sit the SSCP. If not than you can still sit it but you only become an associate of SSCP.
    More on that here: https://www.isc2.org/sscp-professional-experience.aspx

It looks like SSCP is like S++ . Have you looked at the objectives? You can download some information here: https://www.isc2.org/cib/default.aspx
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have 1 year of experience in Information Security (INFOSEC)? If so then you can sit the SSCP. If not than you can still sit it but you only become an associate of SSCP.
    More on that here: https://www.isc2.org/sscp-professional-experience.aspx

It looks like SSCP is like S++ . Have you looked at the objectives? You can download some information here: https://www.isc2.org/cib/default.aspx

More like Security++++ icon_lol.gif
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im a network admin so ive got the exp covered

im just wondering if this is the correct test or should i look into ceh exams

yea it does look like sec+++ but im really wanting to do the next step and at the same time dont try and dive into the top end certs and get flustered

yea it does look like sec+++ but im really wanting to do the next step and at the same time dont try and dive into the top end certs and get flustered

If you a Network Admin then I would go for it. You will learn a lot from the experience.
    More like Security++++ icon_lol.gif

Idk man. I have been reading the objectives and it seems to be less of a bear than rumored. I don't get the same feeling about SSCP as I do GSEC

I am going to do GSEC and C|EH next year (and eleansecurity if they get the student program together eLearnSecurity : Penetration testing and IT Security courses). I am considering SSCP as well (but not that strongly). I might just do it for resume candy but finding someone to sponsor me is going to be tough since I don't know anyone with the CISSP/SSCP. I might just do the SSCP since the elearnsecurity qualifies for 15 (or 40) cpe points.
    Idk man. I have been reading the objectives and it seems to be less of a bear than rumored. I don't get the same feeling about SSCP as I do GSEC.

Will see. I'm planning to pursue that after my Bachelor degree is finished.
    Will see. I'm planning to pursue that after my Bachelor degree is finished.

I'm throwing my hat in for this one after WCNA and C|EH (assuming I can find a testing center close to me icon_sad.gif )
    I'm throwing my hat in for this one after WCNA and C|EH (assuming I can find a testing center close to me icon_sad.gif )

WCNA and C|EH are also on my list of "wants."
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□

You are really looking at 2 different exams between the CEH exam and the SSCP. One is more for pen tester basics-> CEH and one is more for securing network/systems -> SSCP. There are a lot of options out there but it depends on what is interesting. The GSEC is a great option if you can afford it and it is more recognized then the SSCP. Either one is a DOD 8570 cert though.

The next logical step would be either SSCP or GSEC if you want to go the general security route. If you want a more pen testing related test then the CEH would be a good place or e-learn security.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    You are really looking at 2 different exams between the CEH exam and the SSCP. One is more for pen tester basics-> CEH and one is more for securing network/systems -> SSCP. There are a lot of options out there but it depends on what is interesting. The GSEC is a great option if you can afford it and it is more recognized then the SSCP. Either one is a DOD 8570 cert though.

The next logical step would be either SSCP or GSEC if you want to go the general security route. If you want a more pen testing related test then the CEH would be a good place or e-learn security.

that exactly what i was looking for

it looks like sscp is the cheaper of the two and its still on the list maybe ill toy with ceh after
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□

it looks like sscp is the cheaper of the two and its still on the list maybe ill toy with ceh after

Check this link out. I posted on another forum about the different types of certs that are out there related to security: The Ethical Hacker Network - Need help on certifications studies

It is a lot cheaper but GSEC seems to be more technical (at least from what I can tell from the objectives).

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Make sure you check way the ongoing costs for any certification is. Those of us that have both the CISSP and SSCP pay a total Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) of $150US each year to maintain these certs. Some people may not want to take on this extra cost just to have an extra cert or two.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Make sure you check way the ongoing costs for any certification is. Those of us that have both the CISSP and SSCP pay a total Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) of $150US each year to maintain these certs. Some people may not want to take on this extra cost just to have an extra cert or two.

Do you know if you can let one lapse without changing the status of the other?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, you pay the AMF for each cert seperately.