Server 2008 Certification Paths

2»

Comments

• dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Essendon wrote: »
    Apparently, the professional engineers' association (CCPE) in Canada had a problem with the term, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. They contend that an engineer is someone who holds a 4 year degree and not some boffin that dumped their way through 7 exams in 7 weeks and called themselves an engineer. I looked around but cannot find a link that confirms this is why Microsoft renamed their flagship cert.

Yup. The Engineer is reserved for boffins who partied/keggered their way through 4 years of college. :D
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • misterdoctormisterdoctor Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't see this in the list of prereq's so I thought I should mention it:

In addition to 70-620 and 70-624, you can now also choose 70-680 (TS: Windows 7, Configuring).

It might not hurt to update the OP accordingly as I'm sure few will choose Vista if given the option. :)
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Probably been asked a lot but....
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

do I have to take one of those or both?
    Many other exams in MCITP offer this two exams thing.
    Thank you guys for your time.
    meh
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Probably been asked a lot but....
    MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

do I have to take one of those or both?
    Many other exams in MCITP offer this two exams thing.
    Thank you guys for your time.

You have to take both
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Thank you, I get a bit confused because I'm completely new to MS cert world.
    In comptia and cisco is kind of "easier" or less complex the "organization" of the certs.
    meh
  • IsuruSameeraIsuruSameera Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. these details are very useful to me. :):)
  • punkisdead83punkisdead83 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im leaning towards skipping MCSE/MCSA and jumping straight into the 2008 stuff. A huge chunk of the company I work for is on 2008 already and 2003 seems kinda moot at this point.

The MCITP requirements don't seem as cut and dry as MCSE so if I'm understanding this correctly my exam path would be as follows?

70-680 (in progress)
    70-640
    70-642
    70-643
    70-647

Exchange falls under a different exam scope?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Im leaning towards skipping MCSE/MCSA and jumping straight into the 2008 stuff. A huge chunk of the company I work for is on 2008 already and 2003 seems kinda moot at this point.

The MCITP requirements don't seem as cut and dry as MCSE so if I'm understanding this correctly my exam path would be as follows?

70-680 (in progress)
    70-640
    70-642
    70-643
    70-647

Exchange falls under a different exam scope?
    That's the correct path for MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, and if you're wanting to do the MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator on Exchange 2010, you're looking at exams 70-662 and 70-663.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • walkfacefirstwalkfacefirst Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took Exam 072-290 Managing & Maintaining a MS Win Server 2003 Environment last year. I was wondering if you can apply this class to the MCITP certification path?

I am trying to see the correct path to follow to achieve the MCITP. Also does anyone have any advice on any online training courses to take to complete this certification?

I have heard mixed reviews on CBTNuggets, transcender, and others.

Thanks!!
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I never quite understood this but say I do all the exams (6 exams) that are required for MCITP Enterprise and Server administrator, Do I have both MCITP Enterprise Administrator and MCITP Server Administrator even though the exams overlap? Or must I choose just one?
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, if you do 6 exams (640,642,643,646,647,680) you will get both certs. There are quite a few people on this forum with both certs.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Can't you substitute the Comptia Security + for a test for one of these paths? or was that for something else?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can't you substitute the Comptia Security + for a test for one of these paths? or was that for something else?

The Security+ could be used as an elective for the MCSA/E: Security.
  • Tech_GuyTech_Guy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, Yes - you have both certs and you can list both because the MICITP:SA has one exam diffrent then the criteria for the MCITP:EA (which is the 70-646 vs 70-647 respectively). It is diffrent now with 2008 because with 2003 you would have to get the MCSA on your way to achieving the MCSE so many would not list both on a resume or when giving a two-minute elevator pitch because if anyone in IT knew that path then knew that you had already acquired the certs under an MCSE (MCSA, MCP)
  • Tech_GuyTech_Guy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took Exam 072-290 Managing & Maintaining a MS Win Server 2003 Environment last year. I was wondering if you can apply this class to the MCITP certification path?

I am trying to see the correct path to follow to achieve the MCITP. Also does anyone have any advice on any online training courses to take to complete this certification?

I have heard mixed reviews on CBTNuggets, transcender, and others.

Thanks!!

I am pretty sure that the 72-290 cannot be applied to the MCITP in anyway. Sorry about that...

Correct Path:

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008

Exam 70-680
    Exam 70-640
    Exam 70-642
    Exam 70-643
    Exam 70-647

CBTNuggets, There are okay... if your a learning listener.. the speaker shows a White-board with bullet points.. talks.. then switch over to the desktop and demonstrates some but that these videos alone aren't going to do the trick unless you have real world experience aswell. The videos will most of the time go off of M$'s exam objectives and dive a little bit into each. I recommend a lab (and virtual is perfect) to familiarize yourself with things. Reason why, It's rare that in any environment all products (AND SERVICES) are microsoft so you have to have a lab to go over exam objective like in my case Terminal Servcies ; We use Citrix at work. So things like maybe RRAS or a Certificate Publishing Server... I will tell you I was fortunate enought to have a friend that "lended" me some TEST OUT training software and that was amazing. It's pricy but if you are serious that is the way to go. It has a lecture for each section (and it is broken down to little topic), then a demonstration, and then a built-in lab simulation to step though so do it yourself, then a test sim (just like the real test). I was very impressed and learned alot.

Transcender is just practice tests but at least they do have explanations for possible anwsers going into some detail why one is right and the others are wrong. These questions are close to the real test scenario questions from what I've seen. You still need to practice in a lab or have real world experience. Do yourself a favor and do it right.. do not just get brain **** tests and memorize the questions and answers - in the long run that will hurt you.

• jallejalle Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 70/640,642 passed recently and now going to 70659, visualization as I got free voucher for this.
    What could be the next exam after those to gain MCITP cert?
  • diggisaurdiggisaur Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I guess the MCSE is back but now called the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert? I spoke with a Microsoft guy and also their website shows it. It looks like the 640, 642 and 646 that got you the MCITP: Server Administrator are the same exams that equal MCSA: Server 2008. They said that the MCSA 2008 for anyone with an MCITP: Server Administrator is supposed to show up on the transcripts in the next few days and you automatically are grandfathered into getting the new alphabet soup.