Security (CCNP Security)

kidfrykidfry Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
From an email I received earlier this morning... I wasn't aware of these forthcoming changes... I thought I' pass this info along!

...Cisco is pleased to announce major revisions to its popular Voice certification track and professional-level Security certification to align with evolving job roles, technologies, and business requirements. CCNP® Voice, formerly CCVP, moves beyond voice infrastructure and now includes skills related to integrating and troubleshooting voice-mail and messaging applications such as Cisco Unity Connection and Cisco Unified Presence. The CCNA® Voice certification includes the new (version 8.0) course Introducing Cisco Voice and Unified Communications Administration (ICOMM) and corresponding exam, and validates the associate-level knowledge and skills required to administer a voice network.

In addition, the new CCNP Security certification, formerly CCSP, delivers the practical skills needed to guarantee cybersecurity performance, attain high-quality security service levels, and meet compliance mandates.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpsecurity?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuqjKZKXonjHpfsX76OQkX6Gg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YIATMp0dvycMRAVFZl5nQ9RCeOa

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks interesting. The ASA and IDS test are out of reach for me now but the secure test might be fun to do.

The objectives look kind of interesting:

Exam Description

The 642-637 Secure v1.0 Securing Networks with Cisco Routers and Switches exam is associated with the CCSP, and CCNP Security certifications. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills needed to secure Cisco IOS Software router and switch-based networks, and provide security services based on Cisco IOS Software. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Securing Networks with Cisco Routers and Switches course.

Exam Topics

The following information provides general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.

Pre-Production Design

• Choose Cisco IOS technologies to implement HLD
    • Choose Cisco products to implement HLD
    • Choose Cisco IOS features to implement HLD 2
    • Integrate Cisco network security solutions with other security technologies
    • Create and test initial Cisco IOS configurations for new devices/services
    • Configure and verify ASA VPN feature configurations
    Complex Operations Support

• Optimize Cisco IOS security infrastructure device performance
    • Create complex network security rules to meet the security policy requirements
    • Optimize security functions, rules, and configuration
    • Configure & verify Classic IOS Firewall and NAT to dynamically mitigate identified threats to the network
    • Configure & verify IOS Zone Based Firewalls including advanced application inspections and URL filtering
    • Configure & verify the IPS features to identify threats and dynamically block them from entering the network
    • Maintain, update and tune IPS signatures
    • Configure & verify IOS VPN features
    • Configure & verify Layer 2 and Layer 3 security features

Advanced Troubleshooting

• Advanced Cisco IOS security software configuraiton fault finding and repairing
    • Advanced Cisco routers and switches hardware fault finding and repairing
  • kidfrykidfry Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like this info was already posted in the CCSP forum... (My apologies for the double-post!)
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I like the new revision. After I finish this CCIE (Lord willing), I'm probably going to set my focus on getting the CCNP Security. I can't wait to see the material that is released for it.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes! finally! CCNP Security 2011 here we come! icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The big question is, "Will there be any decent study material for it?"
    well they already recommended these

IPSv7 - might have its own book , but they recommend this one
    Intrusion Prevention Fundamentals

VPN - was recommended http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587051117 might have its own book though.

SECURE - will probably have its own book as well.

FIREWALL - im sure will end up using this book Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, Anti-X, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance, 2nd Edition

well see, any new material will be a bonus regardless!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just noticed this on the link you gave me:

Customers and Markets > About CCSP
    • Secure Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Secure Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming November 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming February 2011
    • Firewall Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Firewall Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming November 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming March 2011
    • VPN Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • VPN Official Certification Guide
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming March 2011
    • IPS Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • IPS Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming October 2010
      • Print and eBook—Coming February 2011
    Yeah i just saw it too! this is pure sweetness! new official material! YES! this motivates me to study harder and to finish my CCDP.

So does this mean CNAC and MARS are no longer supported products ?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    So does this mean CNAC and MARS are no longer supported products ?

You ever see how much they charge for their MARS product? There are plenty of other sensible (and cheaper) solutions... surprised they lasted this long.

I too am excited that this new cert is coming with all new materials.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    will this require a CCNP to pursue?
    No. The CCNA Security is still the prerequisite -- but the CCIE may also work.

The Cisco Learning Network CCNP Security web page:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpsecurity/syllabus?view=overview
    CCNP Security Prerequisite
    Valid CCNA Security Certification.
    Cisco web site CCNP Security Certification page:
    CCNP Security - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
    CCNP Security Prerequisites
    CCNA Security or any CCIE Certification can act as a pre-requisite.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This sounds cool,

I have always planned to do the CCSP after my CCNP, so now I think I will complete my CCNP, then follow it up with the CCDP. By which time the CCNP Security should be out, for me to do.

Can't wait to get stuck in to the Security stuff as thats reeally where I want to head in my caree in the future. But need to get the core stuff down first.

Cheers for the headsup about this
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll need to renew my Cisco certs in the next 24 months so I may as well jump on this. I'm going to a Cisco IPS course (non cert related) in 2011 so this will be a good supplement.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/