Which CBT and why?

kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
If one is trying to supplement some of their book and lab training with some CBT's, which CBT is best and why?

CBT Nuggets? Testout? Trainsignal? Other?

I've noticed in the forums that people say Testout seems to provide tests, labs and instructor based training. However, some people felt that there was more instruction in the CBT Nuggets and Testout gave less instruction and provide supplemental reading lists. Feel free to provide your own criteria, but please comment only if you've had direct first hand experience using one of the products. It would be great if someone has used two or more of these products and can compare. Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks all

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I have used CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal. Trainsignal is a little more expensive, but has much more content. I also like they way they deliver the content. CBT Nuggets are good - less expensive, and less content. If you already have a good level of proficiency, the latter is probably better because of cost. If you are trying to learn something from scratch, TS is better IMHO. You wont go wrong with either though.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CBT has better content, but pain in the ass DRM.

Trainsignal has worse content, but no DRM and they will even give you the mp3's and ipod videos, so you can watch/listen on your ipod or smart phone.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heh, and those 2 answers tell you everything you need to know; for some one works better, for others a different one. I personally prefer CBTNuggets although so far the average content has been a bit less than the few trainsignals I've used; but it's presented in a more easily-digested manner, so if I follow the CBT with actual book-study, I win!

Of course, I don't have a very good sample to say all CBTNuggets/Trainsignal videos would follow the same train.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I use CBTNuggets and Testout as they overlap for me fine. The Testout's cover 2 types of videos ( 1 for theory/overhead dry erase board and 1 for the actual server screen capture administration), spec pages you can print out in each module, active sims ( haven't had anything blue screen or crash), and testing modules at the end.

CBTnuggets are fire and forget (launch and watch). I use them at work while doing my daily "chores" and figure repetition is key. The more I listen in the back ground something has to stick.

Have you looked into Transcender as well? Good stuff.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    motogpman wrote: »
    4CBTnuggets are fire and forget (launch and watch). I use them at work while doing my daily "chores" and figure repetition is key. The more I listen in the back ground something has to stick.

Thats what I liked about Trainsignal. I loaded the videos on my phone and listened while driving to work, or out on a bike ride. Plus the visuals weren't exactly stimulating so I don't think I missed a whole lot.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think TestOut is great for people who really get into classroom learning. It is structured in a way that you do a little bit of watching, reading, and labbing. Each product has positives and negatives. I use CBT Nuggets because my workplace has a streaming subscription so I don't have to pay for them. I have used TS and Testout in the past though and been satisfied with them.
  • bsm2bsm2 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use Testout to pass my Network+ test and its great lab sims and computer labs work great you really learn!!!! Good luck
  • kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, if Labsim has the Classroom Theory and then the Screen Capture Administration, does CBT or Trainsignal do that as well? Is CBT just whiteboard administration solely? or do they show you walking through something on screen as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets/Trainsignal sometimes do whiteboard presentation but it is mostly teaching you to do stuff on the server or workstation itself. I haven't done anything like CISSP or Security+ where there might not be as much hands on so I can't speak for that. I have used it for Windows 7, Cisco, and Server and those take more of a hands on approach.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kidainny wrote: »
    If one is trying to supplement some of their book and lab training with some CBT's, which CBT is best and why?

CBT Nuggets? Testout? Trainsignal? Other?

I've noticed in the forums that people say Testout seems to provide tests, labs and instructor based training. However, some people felt that there was more instruction in the CBT Nuggets and Testout gave less instruction and provide supplemental reading lists. Feel free to provide your own criteria, but please comment only if you've had direct first hand experience using one of the products. It would be great if someone has used two or more of these products and can compare. Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks all

I used Test Out for my A+, and am currently using it to study for my Network+, and I think it’s a great resource. I bought the Train signal, but I don’t care that much for it, because I felt like it was just someone going over each objective, and not really diving in that deep into the material. It’s great that train signal offers IPod videos, but they don’t offer labs, and that’s how I learn. Lab sim uses labs, videos, tests, and lectures in every one of their courses. One nice thing about Lab sim is you get printout outs of each video that are yours to keep. I like to past these print outs in One Note and make my own study guide that I can use while studying for my certifications.
    I suggest playing with a CBT trial from each CBT company, and seeing which you one prefer.
    Here’s an old link I found that compares train signal to CBT Nuggets
    Hope this helps
    TrainSignal Vs CBT Nuggets CCNA Video Training | Networks Training
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor