Question about my CCNP study material

gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey, guys i have a quick question i'm not sure if i purchased the wrong library or not. I'm Starting to study for my CCNP so i decided to purchase the CCNP quick reference. and i also purchased CCNP Routing and switching foundation learning library: foundation Leaning for CCNP (642-902,642-813, 642-832). Should i actually return it and purchase the CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library. Need or will i still do fine with the library i purchase which is Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Library. i haven't opened the book in case i should return and get the official exam one. need advice icon_sad.gif

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already know most of the material and have experience then you may be able to skip the foundation books and just use the exam certification guides to review for the exam.

If you actually need to learn the material, then you should start with the foundation books and then move on to the exam certification guides for your final review and preparation for the exams.

The books series -- and who should use them -- are described on the Cisco Press website.

Customers and Markets > About CCNP
    Books

Portable Command Guides contain all the CCNP-level commands for the certification exam in one condensed, portable resource. The books provide tips and examples of how to apply the commands to real-world scenarios.

Foundation Learning Guides (formerly Self-Study Guides), which are based on Cisco courses for the related exams, provide essential foundation learning and thoroughly cover topics addressed in those courses. These books assume no prior knowledge of the subject matter and take a detailed approach to tutorial-based learning. Book elements within the Foundational Learning Guide Series feature real-world case studies, configuration examples, and chapter-ending review questions, making them useful on the job, in addition to exam preparation.

Certification Guides help prepare candidates for Cisco certification exams. These books assume readers have attained the necessary learning foundation and experience for a certification test and are reviewing material before exam time. They include summary information that details critical information on key exam topics and a companion CD-ROM, which contains a powerful testing engine that can be customized with practice exam questions, simulation-based questions, and adaptable performance trackers.

Which book is right for me?
    Foundationl Learning Guides and Certification Guides are intended to complement one another. Though they will cover similar content, they do so in a very different manner. Choosing one book over another depends where you are in the study cycle. If you are familiar with the base concepts, but need to assess your knowledge and review/practice for the exam, we recommend the Certification Guides. If you are new to a topic area and need more detailed discussions of the foundation concepts, we recommend you start with the Foundation Learning Guides.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well thanks for the advice I understand the CCNP materials. I have a good background in configuring EIGRP and OSPF so looks like im a jump right into the cert guide. Thanks!
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Great post! Glad I purchased both sets... and glad I've given myself 9 full months to study. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
    I have a good background in configuring EIGRP and OSPF so looks like im a jump right into the cert guide.
    Those are 2 of the 6 major topic areas from the ROUTE exam blueprint. What about BGP, IPv6, Redistribution (IPv4 & IPv6), and Layer 3 Path control topic areas? And how are you on the theory that allows you understand all the topics listed on the exam blueprint?
    Hmmm your scaring me now mike icon_sad.gif I'm a little iffy on those guess I'll need to Hit The Labs and start getting down to work :)
    Hmmm your scaring me now mike icon_sad.gif
    Using only 1/2 of the suggested self-study books should be a scary idea. icon_lol.gif

The only "single source" of study that's good enough to use by itself is the Student Guide(s) and Lab Guide from the official training courses. Unfortunately you can't buy them -- you can only get them by taking the expen$ive training class (or buying lunch a few times a week for a lucky coworker who got to attend the classes who "doesn't notice" your "borrowing" of the courseware that they conveniently left laying on the corner of their desk when you walked by that one time.... ).
    well i can throw that out the window all my friends are stuck in a stage of "young irresponsibility" and the young me trapped in my room burried in these Cisco Books. But i will be using CBT Nuggets to help me through the CCNP aswell as the official cert exam books & Quick reference. and Make my own Labs i'm purchasing equipment any recommendations? on setup im on a budget looking for something around 500-700$
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    mikej412 wrote: »
    (or buying lunch a few times a week for a lucky coworker who got to attend the classes who "doesn't notice" your "borrowing" of the courseware that they conveniently left laying on the corner of their desk when you walked by that one time.... ).

icon_thumright.gif

I'm all for actual equipment but it may just be better to put that money towards books/materials and just run GNS3. The only section that I think you need equipment with is the switching portion but the 3640 with the switch mod will let you do most of that.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison