Feels Good to be Back....

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been away for awhile (though I have been lurking here from time to time) for various reasons that are much too boring to state here. At any rate, because of a few events in my life and motivational posts by a few of you, I have decided to start studying for the 70-291. Previously, I was on route to the VCP, but my company has said that could not cover the cost of the VCP course.

So, after months of frustration, pouting, projects, and scuba diving, (not necessarily in that order) I've decided to complete my MCSA before going onto the VCP (again). During the time that I have been luring here, trying to gain motivation and momentum to pick up the books again, I've all but decided to go past the MCSA and get the MCSE as well. I've been really looking forward to diving into Server 2008, but reading the posts here about should you/should you NOT continue you with the MCSE and then taking the upgrade exams made me realize that it only makes since to do it as I am a Server Admin now and in order for me to better gain a more thorough knowledge of AD and design (as well as move into a Senior position in the future), this only makes since.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to say hello I'm back, thanks for the need kick in the arse to get me going, and hopefully I will slay the beast in time for Thanksgiving. See you in the 70-291 Forums

BreadFan
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another South Carolinian! :D

Welcome back!
  • BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh Yea!! icon_thumright.gif

and proud to be a South Carolinian (99% of the time anyway)

I saw awhile back when you moved to Greenville (from up north?) It was probably culture shock for you but I am sure has settled in. I am still wishing I could move up there or Charlotte. Columbia is so BORING (plus there is the SCAR fans to deal with here icon_rolleyes.gif j/k)....
    Mark Twain

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Oh Yea!! icon_thumright.gif

and proud to be a South Carolinian (99% of the time anyway)

I saw awhile back when you moved to Greenville (from up north?) It was probably culture shock for you but I am sure has settled in. I am still wishing I could move up there or Charlotte. Columbia is so BORING (plus there is the SCAR fans to deal with here icon_rolleyes.gif j/k)....

Yeah, as in nobody hurries the way they do up North. Honestly, that was a major relief once I got use to it. I've come to love Southern culture...

I've had the opportunity to visit Columbia twice and it is horribly boring.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, as in nobody hurries the way they do up North. Honestly, that was a major relief once I got use to it. I've come to love Southern culture...

I've had the opportunity to visit Columbia twice and it is horribly boring.

I lived in Columbia for 4 years when I was at USC - I agree Columbia is a boring city!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    Bread - welcome (back) to another S.Carolinian. Now if we can just work on you getting rid of that ugly orange and purple! :)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    Bread - I see you are a diver. I am too! Where do you dive up in Columbia? Do you ever make it down to Charleston to dive?
    My wife is a USC alum so I have to deal with the garnet and black too icon_twisted.gif

No, I haven't made it down to Charleston to dive yet (only Lake Murky here in Columbia). I'm dying to go Megladon Shark tooth diving in the Cooper since I love shark diving too. I hear that Charleston Scuba is a great place.

What diving certs do you have? How long have you been diving? etc. I am fairly recent SSI cert diver and just had septoplasty surgery last month so according to DAN I need to wait about 90 days to dive again.

I'm trying to get the $$$ to get my own equipment, but the IT certs come first. I'm on ScubaBoard - Online Scuba Diving Community - Equipment, Dive Travel, Training and More! as well
    Mark Twain

I haven't gone diving in the Cooper. I've heard the viz is horrible and the currents can be really bad. I got certified with Charleston Scuba and I really like them. Sally and Tom (the owners) are really cool. I've only been diving for 3-4 years now. I only have my PADI basic underwater. I took the class for the advanced, and got 2 of the dives done. I still have to do my deep dive and navigation, and one other I think.

I have asthma and bad sinuses, so I'm really careful when I dive and how deep I go. Plus in Charleston, you have to go 20 or so miles off shore to dive, and I always get sea sick diving here. I've been diving in the Caribbean, and I was down in the Keys this summer and went diving there. I like that. 10 minute boat ride and 50 + feet of viz. I'm hoping to go out to San Diego this spring for a SANS course, and if I do I'm going to try to extend the trip a few days and dive out there.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad to see you're back on the boards!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks Earweed icon_thumright.gif

If you think that viz is bad, try Lake Murray. My last dive there at the flood gates at 35+ feet down was equal to about <2 ft viz. with LED flashlights.

I've dove Cozumel and that was Supa and snorkeled 8 days in Hawaii on honeymoon (was supposed to do a shark cage dive but the d@mn conceirge messed us up on the last day).

I was hoping to go to Turks & Caicaos next year as I read its a great place to dive with hammerheads but it will be too costly for me, so I have to find a cheaper Caribbean alternative. Plus, just getting over nasal surgery, it should be interesting to dive again.

What sinus trouble do you have? my ENT that did my surgery is the BEST. I contemplated having septoplasty surgery for over 10 years and finally did last month. I wish I wouldve done it sooner.

My cousin is trying to get me to dive the USS Vandenburg. did you dive it when you were in the Keys?
    Mark Twain

My problems are just allergy related. Sadly I'm allergic to so many things my nose is constantly stopped up. My allergist has never mentioned anything about surgery to me.

I didn't dive the Vandenburg. I just did a basic reef dive off of Marathon. It was pretty cool. I saw 2 giant spotted manta rays, and tons of barracuda. For our honeymoon we were on a cruise and dove in the Bahamas. That was pretty cool as we dove a ledge that started at 60ft and bottomed at over a 1000! It was kind of creepy looking down and seeing nothing but blackness... I really recommend diving in Marathon, it's not far to the sites, viz is excellent and tons of marine life. I did some snorkeling from the beach and always saw lots of fish.

My wife and I both want to dive in Hawaii and go to the Galapagos and dive. I've read the Galapagos is pretty wicked for sea life but is a tough dive, lots of currents.

Charleston isn't a bad place to dive. The joke at Charleston scuba is/was "if you can dive Charleston, you can dive anywhere!" Most of the sites here are deep (100ft or so) but there are some shallow dives.
    That sounds cool...I've fed small rays but no spotted ones. I tried to befriend a 3 foot Barracuda in Cozumel to get a better photo but he was scared of me. Saw tons of Moray eels and lobster though.

I wish my wife dove too but she can't so it's just me. My doc recommeded Galapagos too. that is where the Great Hammerhead live. but that too is out of price range for me at the moment since we just had two nice vacations :D and aren't due for a big one for a few years (ya gotta span them out I think).

The next big one is back to Hawaii I think. We spent 8 days in Maui in Kaanapali and I highly recommend that. Sheraton at Black rock to be exact. Views of Lanai and Molokini from my window. cant beat that at all.

Yes, I want to further my diving certs too like you have. I dont mind driving to Charleston to dive either (it's only 1.5 hours from here). I know there are lots of Lionfish in the waters, but would be kewl to get some shots of them too.

Charleston is my favorite city in the world. My parents had a beach house there when I was growing up on Isle of Palms across from what is now the Boathouse restaurant (I LOVE THAT PLACE).

I just like to dive and "get wet" and keep my skills fresh. Right now I'm trying to concentrate and stay motivated to kill the 70-291 test.
    Mark Twain

I think for our 5 year anniversary we are talking about going to Hawaii. My wife dives too, she is far more advanced than I am! Granted in college her roommate was a diver instructor so she ended up getting all the "free" training she wanted.

I've only seen Lionfish when diving the Bahamas, but I know they are here. The one we saw in the Bahamas, while we were getting briefed by the dive master we were informed to keep our eyes open because they are in the area. As soon as we splashed in there was one swimming around. It didn't like all the people around it and was "puffing up", but it was still cool to see. My ultimate is to one day see some sea turtles when diving.

I'm sure you'll do fine on the 291. I'm about 3 tests away from the MCITP:EA. I took some time away from it because I was taking some SANS courses through work. But I'm getting the itch to try and knock out another test or so before the end of the year!