Which should I choose?!?!?

security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase a book in preparation of the Net+ exam. I need advice as to which book I should purchase. Should I purchase Todd Lammle (Net+ study guide) or Mike Meyers (all in one)?

I am a security analyst, however, I am on a quest to become a bit more techical. So, I figured I would take the Net+ to give me a basic understand.

PS - I have very little experience in networking. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• demon12345demon12345 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle is a cure for insomniac people. I have read the book and my honest view is I would not waste time and money on the book. I would rather get Myers, he is staright forward and intresting
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    I found Mike Meyer to be good for A+ and Net+
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for Mike Meyer's book. I used it for the exam and found it to be the best resource.
  • JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can't go wrong with Mike Meyers. I found his A+ all-in-one to be informative and interesting, and it (along w/LabSim) definitely helped me pass the two exams. I'm reading his Network+ guide now. His books don't have the dryness of typical text books and they do a great job of providing background and context for the material, which for me being new to the realm of IT, is crucial to my understanding of the objectives.

I wish I could get a Mike Meyers all-in-one guide for all of my classes. I probably wouldn't be sweating math as much.icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am currently reading Mike Meyers network + book. Like several other posters have mentioned it is a good fun read.

I just started reading tonight and I am on chapter 3. The book is sort of long, but there seems to be a lot of good information.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for Mike Myers. His book is a fun read and full of good information for the exam.
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you!!! I am purchasing the Mike Meyer's book right now.
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes - the Meyers All-In-One book is good. It was the only book I used and passed with about 800. Not a perfect score, but perhaps for what that book might have lacked (or it could've just been me!) it makes up for in the ease of reading. I found it enjoyable to read and didn't have a hard time knocking the book out in a week or two. It was always a pleasure to pick it up and read! Unlike the All-In-One Sec+ book - not quite as fun to read.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes - the Meyers All-In-One book is good. It was the only book I used and passed with about 800. Not a perfect score, but perhaps for what that book might have lacked (or it could've just been me!) it makes up for in the ease of reading. I found it enjoyable to read and didn't have a hard time knocking the book out in a week or two. It was always a pleasure to pick it up and read! Unlike the All-In-One Sec+ book - not quite as fun to read.

I did purchase the all in one book for the security+ and I didn't enjoy the book at all. That's why I was unsure of purchasing the all in one book for the net+. But I will go with the majority!!! If the majority says it's a good resource to study from, then I will go with it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did purchase the all in one book for the security+ and I didn't enjoy the book at all. That's why I was unsure of purchasing the all in one book for the net+. But I will go with the majority!!! If the majority says it's a good resource to study from, then I will go with it.

I had a friend at work who has A+ N+ and S+ and he did S+ first and said the same thing. He went on to do N+ and really enjoyed it.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    never used mike meyers book. but i can clearly say that im loving the Sybex book. there's plenty of technical information... i guess its just the way i like reading..
    im using that and then professor messer. goood combination, and i love watching the corresponding video after each chapter.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree