Passing Sec+ Tomorrow

superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just a heads up. I'm taking that test down. DG's book was used (and before that All-In-One Sec+). Feeling pretty good about it now. That and I simply cannot afford to not pass :) My savings are dwindling until I finish this semester and can finally get a job.

Well, provided I get my voucher code I ordered in time to schedule it for tomorrow.
Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH

Comments

• gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After you order voucher shouldn't take more than a few hours to receive that code via email. After seeing how highly recommended DG's book is I decided to order it myself already went through the trainsignal cbt video's but still felt something was lacking so far this book is great I'm on chapter 5. Anyway good luck on the test let us know how it goes plan to take mine in 3 weeks.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You got this! Bring home the "W"!!
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well...I didn't pass today...

I didn't get my voucher until this morning via email, and it has to be scheduled 24 hours in advance. dang it. So I'm taking it tomorrow. Scheduled. In the books. Ready to go.

Passing Sec+ Tomorrow (for real!)

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doh.... well good luck tomorrow!
    Well...I didn't pass today...

I didn't get my voucher until this morning via email, and it has to be scheduled 24 hours in advance. dang it. So I'm taking it tomorrow. Scheduled. In the books. Ready to go.

Passing Sec+ Tomorrow (for real!)

I liked how you made it seemed you failed today....LOL!

Bring the thunder on it and bring home the gold!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to feel confident! thats a big plus, but since you have and extra day I'd still give an extra reading to my studying... just to be on safe side... Good luck on your test!
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    You got this one in the bag. Go an kill that bad boy tomorrow :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Yea I'm going to use today to simply review. I feel pretty good about it already, but I want to know all of these topics inside and out so more reviewing won't hurt!

• botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you seem to be fine. Good luck !!!
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
    Yea I'm going to use today to simply review. I feel pretty good about it already, but I want to know all of these topics inside and out so more reviewing won't hurt!

It can hurt.....

You don't want to spend the day before an exam like Security+ doing hardcore studying. You need to give your brain time to absorb the material. It sounds silly, but it works.

Having said that, a very light review will not hurt....you just don't want to cram the day before an exam. You want to cram an hour or two before the exam starts....but not the day before.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It can hurt.....

You don't want to spend the day before an exam like Security+ doing hardcore studying. You need to give your brain time to absorb the material. It sounds silly, but it works.

Having said that, a very light review will not hurt....you just don't want to cram the day before an exam. You want to cram an hour or two before the exam starts....but not the day before.

Oh no worries on that front icon_lol.gif I just woke up from a 2 hour nap, which was preceded by some PS3 action, and I'm thinking about heading out later. So...during my break from having some fun, I might glance over the summaries in DG's book and review some of the practice exams.

I did finally get around to the practice test at the end of DG's book and scored a 92%, so I think I'm ready. A few of the ones I missed I would argue in my favor of, but I'm sure that will be the case on the real exam as well :)

For example, a private key has been compromised what should you do? Answer: CA should revoke it and add to CRL
    My Answer: You should revoke it

Sure, the CA manages the CRL, but the CA won't know it needs to be revoked until YOU say so. That part is put on the end-user to specifically request it be revoked. I suppose there is a difference in requesting it to be revoked and actually revoking it, but actually revoking cannot take place without the end user being involved and requesting it...oh well...it happens!

Sure, the CA manages the CRL, but the CA won't know it needs to be revoked until YOU say so. That part is put on the end-user to specifically request it be revoked. I suppose there is a difference in requesting it to be revoked and actually revoking it, but actually revoking cannot take place without the end user being involved and requesting it...oh well...it happens!

Presumably, if you just revoke it, the employee who left the organization could request and generate another cert. Realistically, that shouldn't happen, but in the case that it did, when you notify the CA, if that employee tries to generate another cert, it won't be valid, because anything that comes from that employee will be on the CRL.

icon_cool.gif
    Presumably, if you just revoke it, the employee who left the organization could request and generate another cert. Realistically, that shouldn't happen, but in the case that it did, when you notify the CA, if that employee tries to generate another cert, it won't be valid, because anything that comes from that employee will be on the CRL.

icon_cool.gif

Hmm - I wasn't considering it from an employee point of view. I was considering if the key had been lost / stolen / etc.

But even still, if it was an employee, wouldn't the employee have to be authorized to get another cert granted to them? If it's a private CA ran by the company, I can't imagine they would give out certs to non-employees...

In the end, the CA would have to revoke the original cert and add it to the CRL, but it still needs to be requested by someone (person who decided it needed to be revoked, "you" as I took it in the question)

Hmm - I wasn't considering it from an employee point of view. I was considering if the key had been lost / stolen / etc.

But even still, if it was an employee, wouldn't the employee have to be authorized to get another cert granted to them? If it's a private CA ran by the company, I can't imagine they would give out certs to non-employees...

In the end, the CA would have to revoke the original cert and add it to the CRL, but it still needs to be requested by someone (person who decided it needed to be revoked, "you" as I took it in the question)

Real World Imaginary Scenario

I deal with "managed PKI" from both a user and an administrator perspective through a well known CA (probably the best known... :D )

I generate a certificate request from my server.

I grant myself a certificate based on the certifcate request I sent.

I install certificate on my web server.

My new job offer comes through! I give 2 week notice.

Guy who is replacement informs CA I left the organization.

My email from old job is now on CRL. Any certificate I requested will also be invalid and therefore revoked. New ones will need to be generated by my replacement.

This is a real world scenario of what (needs to) happen. Hopefully it makes sense. :)
  • bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congratulations!

On a serious note: thanks for explaining this...I understand the concepts of what PKI is, what a CA, CRL, AS, etc. are, but haven't put them together on how they all work together. I'm reading all my material to get a basic grasp on the stuff then going to buy DG's book as a final study guide.
    bobbaft wrote: »
    Congratulations!

On a serious note: thanks for explaining this...I understand the concepts of what PKI is, what a CA, CRL, AS, etc. are, but haven't put them together on how they all work together. I'm reading all my material to get a basic grasp on the stuff then going to buy DG's book as a final study guide.

This PDF might help you out even more:
    http://www.verisign.com/static/DEV004104.pdf

Remember, don't worry about Extended Validation. It's not tested on Security+ (or apparently in the next iteration). All EV certs do is make a valid cert make the address bar green for a valid cert and red for invalid. You've seen this on sites like Bank of America, Paypal, etc. (This was why I put managed PKI in quotes..... :) ).
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Real World Imaginary Scenario

I deal with "managed PKI" from both a user and an administrator perspective through a well known CA (probably the best known... :D )

I generate a certificate request from my server.

I grant myself a certificate based on the certifcate request I sent.

I install certificate on my web server.

Guy who is replacement informs CA I left the organization.

My email from old job is now on CRL. Any certificate I requested will also be invalid and therefore revoked. New ones will need to be generated by my replacement.

This is a real world scenario of what (needs to) happen. Hopefully it makes sense. :)

Congrats! I just recently became a System Administrator for DISA FSO.
    I DID NOT GET A NEW JOB! IT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW AND WHY CERTS END UP ON THE CRL!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(If that wasn't clear enough, I don't know what is....lmao!)
    LMAO that's funny.

Anyways, my claim is now officially true icon_cheers.gif. Scored an 864. Bit lower than I was shooting for but as expected there were one or two questions where I believe CompTIA answered wrong (none of the answers were good), but perhaps I'm just stubborn icon_lol.gif.

Few terms and such that were not found in DG's book but I roughly recalled from the All-In-One. The questions were a little different than expected but still not bad - just poorly written in most cases, some with no good answer so I had to pick between two subpar answers....

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Congrats! Another one under the belt icon_cheers.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I DID NOT GET A NEW JOB! IT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW AND WHY CERTS END UP ON THE CRL!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(If that wasn't clear enough, I don't know what is....lmao!)

:Picon_lol.gif my bad haha
    LMAO that's funny.

Anyways, my claim is now officially true icon_cheers.gif. Scored an 864. Bit lower than I was shooting for but as expected there were one or two questions where I believe CompTIA answered wrong (none of the answers were good), but perhaps I'm just stubborn icon_lol.gif.

Few terms and such that were not found in DG's book but I roughly recalled from the All-In-One. The questions were a little different than expected but still not bad - just poorly written in most cases, some with no good answer so I had to pick between two subpar answers....

Congratulations!! Welcome to the club! icon_thumright.gif DG is the man...and no one (definitely not me) told you you'd get 900! Just that you'd pass....and pass you did (and well!!)

Now pay it forward and help out the rest of your DoD buddies/others who were just as nervous as you were. :)

Congrats once again!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • TheGuyTheGuy Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I took and passed this test today also. I agree with you on certain questions seeming to have only vague or wrong answers to choose from.
  • lockdnloadedlockdnloaded Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    LMAO that's funny.

congratulations superman! icon_thumright.gif