Options

Question about IT job and career path.

s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
First some background: I have been doing tech support for 8 months now and prior to that an internship for 3 months. I will have my Associates of Applied Science in Computer Network Systems in under 6 months. I will also be taking my CCNA exam soon and continueing with other certs. Now thats out of the way.

I have been offered a job doing basic web design (html, css, photoshop). This isn't something I'd like do do forever, but I would go from making $10.50/hr to $13/hr and I would enjoy the change in job function as well. My question is would taking this job negatively impact my goal of becoming involved in networking and server administration? Should I stay where I am at so I can get at least a year before seriously looking for another job?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hard to say, but I think different HR people have very different views. Personally, I think it would not be a step in the right direction. Sure you can learn new interesting skills, but those would not relate much to network/server admin.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    I would leave that company that is paying you 10.50 (were talking USD right?) an hour, that is really low even for entry level. I wouldnt take a web design job though, I would look for another tech support job.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    You are probably right about it not being a step in my direction (though not a bad direction I guess).

Yes, $10.50 is low, but I have seen lower out here in Salt Lake City. Such as $8.50 for level 1 tech support for Comcast. While my wage does suck, you have to figure that you acn get a 2 bedroom out here for $500/mo. We have a low cost of living compared to other places. Trust me though I am always looking for a new job to some extent. I'll be doing a lot more looking once I have a cert to put on my resume though :D
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I would tend to agree that taking the job doing actual web design wouldn't be a step in the right direction. If you were going to working with the servers the web pages were hosted on and such, it would be different, but doing the actual design doesn't really relate to networking.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Sheesh, 8.50. But, a 2 bed apartment here in Seattle can range anywhere from a grand up.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    I am paying $150/mo right now for an extremely tiny ass bare bones no perks apartment right now. Of course I've known the owner for 10 years so I was able to get $300 knocked off.

Anyways, I am looking for something better and more challenging. Sending 5-10 resumes a week.