pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    All I can say is "good luck."

LOL

All I can say is.... sleeping.gif

I have seen a few HP Procurves. Rare, but I'm sure there is a few places where they are more common.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't mean "good luck" in a negative way (completely). Cisco certs don't just represent knowledge with Cisco equipment. Cisco certs often represent over-arching networking knowledge that is platform independent. Many Juniper admins that I know also have Cisco certs even though they don't do Cisco networking because 90% of the material is still relevant.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Only a few pro curves? They are the second largest switch manufacturer! Rare would be a foundry chassis.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Interesting article. I can understand why they want Cisco certified people to jump over and certify on their platform. Getting the Cisco certs , anything from CCNA to CCIE, shows an overall knowledge of networking which can easily transfer over to another vendor.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ALL i can say is good luck. HP documentation is not all that great. I know I have been using the stuff for the past 3 years and they are nowhere at being in an attack mode. At best they are in a "hey we are here, too! over in the corner"
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Only a few pro curves? They are the second largest switch manufacturer! Rare would be a foundry chassis.

Hey, that is just my experience... icon_wink.gif

Harsh man, harsh! :)
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only problem I have with HP is that there cert website is impossible to navigate. I gave up after 3 days trying to get guys signed up to do some pre-sales stuff.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

this is true, they are very large and have a huge market in the switching business. Our company uses them for access layer purposes. You get life-time warranty and you can replace any piece/module or the entire unit free of charge anytime anywhere!

I am also in an environment where i could see myself retiring at this place.Also if getting HP certified could help my chances grow long term with the company but also undoubtedly help my career grow, i wouldnt mind progressing with a cert or two from HP (Only networking!). Especially knowing my cisco certs count towards HP certs! You cant go wrong with that!icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

We have Foundry equipment. Actually I'm looking at taking the entry level Brocade exam here....when I pause from my CCNA studies...
    Our ISP (we work closely with them on access layer and some transport stuff) uses the foundry / brocade stuff, very high quality networking equipment. A lot of our customers use this ISP's colocation facility, the equipment is like this: fiber terminates into a Cisco, cisco switches into an intelligent brocade, brocade switches into a dirty switch (a dumb HP) from there we go into various firewalls, under which are more HP switches.

All the manufacturers living happily together in the same rack icon_smile.gif
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    No doubt. HP bought 3com to up their ante. Cisco is a goliath to take down. Good luck to them. CCNA is globally known as a trusted certification.

On a personal note, I use procurve switches as they're cheaper than Ciscos in most cases. With a lifetime warranty, its hard to turn them down in comparison to Cisco.

I still plan on getting my CCNA someday...after MCITP:EA and CISSP.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
    Cisco has a lot of carrier level equipment that is excellent. I think people overestimate their needs and figure since cisco is used by the big boys, thats what they should have. Juniper and HP are excellent contenders and are often a more appropriate choice for SMBs and larger businesses.
    Cisco has a lot of carrier level equipment that is excellent. I think people overestimate their needs and figure since cisco is used by the big boys, thats what they should have. Juniper and HP are excellent contenders and are often a more appropriate choice for SMBs and larger businesses.

I think there's more to it than that, else Juniper would have a larger footprint in the non-carrier market. People often hate on Cisco because of their price point but the equipment they offer to every level of enterprise or business can't be matched and their support is outstanding. From ISRs to mid-range switching, telco equipment, security appliances, data center grade, to ISP carrier, etc, You can go to Cisco and buy an entire shop that will inter-connect perfectly. Cisco will never say "we can't do that." They have a solution for everything.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Thats not necessarily true, Juniper is a dismal marketer, name recognition is powerful in this industry. Certifications are also big and Cisco's name is far more recognized than Juniper's.

I am lucky to have consulted on enough networks and have been able to see these different manufacturers in action.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It says something that Cisco certs are respected by companies that play with other equipment. Alot of folks seem to regard Cisco as though it were a vendor neutral cert, and most of the knowledge is. Alot of network knowledge is like programming - once you learn the concepts and how everything flows, it's all just syntax differences.
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Cisco will never say "we can't do that." They have a solution for everything.

Except how to download an IOS without a support contract?
    SephStorm wrote: »

While this sucks for people looking to study, its foolish to assume Cisco should just give away IOS to anyone that buys a Cisco router. I do not understand why people feel that IOS should be free. It's highly proprietary internally developed software. Would you expect Microsoft to give away Windows? People think that when they buy a Cisco router they're buying the hardware but in reality you're mostly buying the highly complex and well-developed software that runs on it.

What is the difference between an access-layer switch from Cisco and an access-layer switch from HP? the answer is the operating system. Both vendors can provide the same speed, port density, and many of the same features, but the underlying operating system is what differentiates the products. To expect the operating system - the part of the device that makes it uniquely Cisco - should be free, is perhaps misguided.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »

Supposedly there is a lab IOS in development so you may get your wish here.
    It says something that Cisco certs are respected by companies that play with other equipment. Alot of folks seem to regard Cisco as though it were a vendor neutral cert, and most of the knowledge is. Alot of network knowledge is like programming - once you learn the concepts and how everything flows, it's all just syntax differences.

This is true, but it is certainly not vender neutral. The exams are rigorous which is why they garner a lot of respect. A lot of juniper admins on these very forums have Cisco certs because they are so well respected. It doesn't take long working with other equipment to find where Cisco leads and falls behind. Provided you stick to the standards based protocols Cisco lives very well with other manufacturer's devices.
    This is true, but it is certainly not vender neutral. The exams are rigorous which is why they garner a lot of respect. A lot of juniper admins on these very forums have Cisco certs because they are so well respected. It doesn't take long working with other equipment to find where Cisco leads and falls behind. Provided you stick to the standards based protocols Cisco lives very well with other manufacturer's devices.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Cisco is vendor neutral. The Design certification track cured me of any such misconception.

But in general, the majority of the knowledge is vendor neutral. OSPF works the same way on Juniper devices as it does on Cisco, it's just the configuration syntax that changes. The exams themselves are rigid, sure, and basically ask you how to configure things for IOS, but you'll probably have a good understanding of what happens when you type in each command, and that's the important part.
  • ITGuyRickITGuyRick Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hey, I have a bunch of Foundry chassis down the hall. :o
    Rick
    Working on: LPIC 1, Next: CWNA, CCNA
    BSIT Capella University (ongoing)
    Supposedly there is a lab IOS in development so you may get your wish here.

I read about that, haven't heard any updates though.
    While this sucks for people looking to study, its foolish to assume Cisco should just give away IOS to anyone that buys a Cisco router. I do not understand why people feel that IOS should be free. It's highly proprietary internally developed software. Would you expect Microsoft to give away Windows? People think that when they buy a Cisco router they're buying the hardware but in reality you're mostly buying the highly complex and well-developed software that runs on it.

True. But I don't think its quite a fair comparison. If I were to buy a cisco device from an Authorized reseller, I would be paying a lot of money, much more than I would from a third party. Also, I'm sure most resellers don't sell the older equipment that is in labs today, so I am going to be paying more still. And finally, there is the support contract.

Compare that to MS, I buy a PC without Windows, I can simply walk into a store and buy a copy. They still get their money, If I want to upgrade, I buy the new version.

Why can't Cisco do something similar, "IOS Mart" pay a decent price for the IOS version you want to buy. I would probably get involved.
    ITGuyRick wrote: »
    Hey, I have a bunch of Foundry chassis down the hall. :o

I'm jealous! Foundries (or Brocades now) are excellent switches, easily on par with Cisco and less expensive too. I try to get my coworkers to consider them, but we are a procurve shop.
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm jealous! Foundries (or Brocades now) are excellent switches, easily on par with Cisco and less expensive too. I try to get my coworkers to consider them, but we are a procurve shop.

Have you had a chance to play with Juniper's switches? I would strongly recommend them to anyone. Just like everything else Juniper, it may be just to powerful for its own good.
    I have only worked with Juniper firewalls and an old SSLVPN appliance. I am sure their switches are great, I have had nothing but good experiences with the Junipers I have worked on.
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have only worked with Juniper firewalls and an old SSLVPN appliance. I am sure their switches are great, I have had nothing but good experiences with the Junipers I have worked on.

Right, i just read your previous comments, and I agree with everything you've said. You bring up a good point with regards to their marketing. They appear to be so ISP and government focused that they often fall out of consideration in the commercial enterprise.

Play with Force10's stuff, I think you'll be surprised.