Opinion about certification track

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
As some of you might know and some might not I am a help desk tech tier 2. I've been doing this type of work for several years in some form of capacity for a while now, except for a 6 month stint when I was more involved in transition / project management.

Anyway all pride aside I felt the need to get some network training, because quite frankly I am not that knowledgable in networking.

So I decided to make it my next certification, because I also do a lot of Cisco troubleshooting and WAN and LAN troubleshooting, not to mention I use Netview QoS, Tivoli and few more monitoring tools. I've kind of grown into this position and I enjoy it. Infact I made a post about it a few months ago where I got a skillset promotion, not financial.

Anyway I thought I would default to the experts. Let's say I get my network + sometime in November. In your opinion would it I be better off doing security +, which I don't really use, but in someways I do, or A+, to validate that I understand the basic workings of a desktop/laptop and other devices. There is no way I can do all 3 out before the 31st, or else this would be a moot point.

Again I am looking for you opinions and if you could provide a reason why, that would be even better. Believe me I do listen and that is why I am taking network + right now.

And if you feel neither are a good investment that's cool too.

Thanks a bunch

Patrick

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are already doing N+ so finish that and then press on with the CCNA
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    You are already doing N+ so finish that and then press on with the CCNA
    Agreed. A CCNA and experience to back it up is a good combination that will help you get into a more specialized role should you desire one.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed. A CCNA and experience to back it up is a good combination that will help you get into a more specialized role should you desire one.

Menthol I do believe me I do. I am so done with help desk it's not even funny.

Database, Networking, Servers, cleaning stalls (JK). Just specialization to make money and to ascend my career. In the service desk I work at the servers are off limits, unless they are old school mid ranges. However they let us telnet into the Cisco routers and even use GUI tools to look at the switches and routers. We use tools like Cisco works and the others mentioned above. The WAN guys are really cool and will sit with you for 10-15 mins or remote into your machine and show you how to use a tool. I honestly think it's my best bet at the moment. I am getting real world experience and I can mirror that up with my certifications.

Thanks for the input Menthol
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, if you've been doing this kind of work for a few years, the A+ and Network+ probably won't give you too much trouble. When I was a PC tech at CompUSA, my boss scheduled me for the A+ exams and told me about it the day before. I went in, sat for one exam at 11am and the other at 2pm, then I went out and partied because I passed. This isn't an uncommon event for entry-level exams, people with experience can pass them with little or even no prep-time.

Take a look at the exam objectives on CompTIA's site for these tests. If you feel like 80% - 90% of it is familiar to you, then you may just need to do a review of the material before you sit for each exam. If not, then you could always do a quick run-through of some training and see where you are.

Seriously, it sounds like you could probably knock out the A+ and Network+ pretty quickly, and still have plenty of time to go for Security+ before the December 31st deadline, if you should want to pursue it. I also agree with Turgon, moving up the ladder to CCNA might not be a bad idea either. In an ideal situation, you could definitely knock out the A+ and Network+ in the next couple of weeks, work on Security+ through the remainder of November and then December, and then spend January and February obtaining your CCNA.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Honestly, if you've been doing this kind of work for a few years, the A+ and Network+ probably won't give you too much trouble. When I was a PC tech at CompUSA, my boss scheduled me for the A+ exams and told me about it the day before. I went in, sat for one exam at 11am and the other at 2pm, then I went out and partied because I passed. This isn't an uncommon event for entry-level exams, people with experience can pass them with little or even no prep-time.

Take a look at the exam objectives on CompTIA's site for these tests. If you feel like 80% - 90% of it is familiar to you, then you may just need to do a review of the material before you sit for each exam. If not, then you could always do a quick run-through of some training and see where you are.

Seriously, it sounds like you could probably knock out the A+ and Network+ pretty quickly, and still have plenty of time to go for Security+ before the December 31st deadline, if you should want to pursue it. I also agree with Turgon, moving up the ladder to CCNA might not be a bad idea either. In an ideal situation, you could definitely knock out the A+ and Network+ in the next couple of weeks, work on Security+ through the remainder of November and then December, and then spend January and February obtaining your CCNA.

That is rather ambitious, but heck I like it :)

I am defiently thinking about the CCNA at the start of next year. I figured why not I use the technology and there is this affordable community college certification course that trains you for the CCNA, CCNP, ETC you get the point.

I am motoring through the book. I've knocked out 100+ pages in two days and I have a few hours left tonight before I go out with some guys from work.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you have experience A+ and Net+ are a cakewalk. Taking both A+ tests this coming Monday, have done minimal review and feel 100% confident on passing. I took the Net+ earlier this month with only one week of fairly light study and easily passed the test. From your description you've got considerably more experience than I do as well, i'm just a lowly level one with 3 years experience. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.