Tips for Cissp

GimmynoGimmyno Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys, I'm currently studying for Cissp with Shon's AIO book and her Video Training, I find very challenging to answer correctly the practice questions at the end of each domain....I can barely reach 60% of correct answers out of 30...any tips guys?Can you also share your experiences?

Cheers Guys, appreciate it.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's not a lot you can do besides continuing to work with the material until it sinks in. Maybe try another resource or two and see if they explain/present the concepts in a way that you better understand (no resource is perfect and everyone has different learning styles).

Having said that, the actual exam questions are significantly more convoluted and difficult than those, so adjust your expectations accordingly.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found that Shon's book was really good for getting into the details but at the same time there was a lot of fluff in it. She really tried to cover all her bases with the types of people that would be reading it. Look at www.cccure.org, that site has a number of already canned study guides which can help you conentrate on what is important.

The three CISSP I have met told me that the big thing with the CISSP is understanding the material to answer complex questions. Instead of being an endurance test (memorize and repeat) I was told it is an analytical test (memorize, understand and apply).
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    The three CISSP I have met told me that the big thing with the CISSP is understanding the material to answer complex questions. Instead of being an endurance test (memorize and repeat) I was told it is an analytical test (memorize, understand and apply).

Those are my sentiments as well. I felt that I struggled significantly more with determining what the question was actually asking than simply regurgitating the technical information.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Those are my sentiments as well. I felt that I struggled significantly more with determining what the question was actually asking than simply regurgitating the technical information.

I thought it was because you forgot you had signed up for the test and only had 2 weeks to study. ;)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    Gimmyno wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I'm currently studying for Cissp with Shon's AIO book and her Video Training, I find very challenging to answer correctly the practice questions at the end of each domain....I can barely reach 60% of correct answers out of 30...any tips guys?Can you also share your experiences?

Not a joke... Try the CISSP for Dummies 3rd Edition, I find it easier to read than the AIO so read both and you may get more out of it.
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□

Gimmy -
    I have 4 weeks to go with my cissp to prepare for the test. If you feel like you are not ready, do not push it. You have 5 days prior to test date to postpone it.
    Here is what i having been using for study guide.
    AIO - Use for reference only - too much to cover
    ISC2 - get the latest edition with the new nice Green Cover
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Second Edition [Book]
    Cissp for dummies
    ccure.org video and a whole bunch of other practice tests.

I think I should be ready by then.
    Good luck and cheers.
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
    botbill wrote: »
    Gimmy -
    I have 4 weeks to go with my cissp to prepare for the test. If you feel like you are not ready, do not push it. You have 5 days prior to test date to postpone it.
    Here is what i having been using for study guide.
    AIO - Use for reference only - too much to cover
    ISC2 - get the latest edition with the new nice Green Cover
    Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Second Edition [Book]
    Cissp for dummies
    ccure.org video and a whole bunch of other practice tests.

I think I should be ready by then.
    Good luck and cheers.
    I concur. I have all of these materials and my exam is Nov 6. I was struggling with the 60% scores when I started but I'm now up to 80/90% every exam.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137

Her video series was my primary source in terms of grasping concepts. I wouldn't get caught up in the score at this point in your studying. Continue reviewing the material over and over again, there are no short cuts. You'll get there. Don't be discouraged. All of us CISSP's have been there at some point, and then you'll have your break through.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
    Not a joke... Try the CISSP for Dummies 3rd Edition, I find it easier to read than the AIO so read both and you may get more out of it.

Hated that book, but just my opinion. If you can get a hold of the CISSP Passport by Mike Meyers (out of print and priced ridiculously on ebay) that is a very good entry level book and easy read into CISSP. The book is dated, but the material is applicable, very easy to read.
    Next Up...
  • drk1980drk1980 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used AIO 5th edition for all the domains. I went through it once and at the end of each domain took the quiz. I also simultaneously took a customized quiz in cccure for that domain. Every time i had a wrong answer i went back again and reviewed the topic. Sometimes you might have to google to get more information.

When i had 30 days left to take the exam, i reviewed AIO once again and again took the questions. The main difference i noticed this time was i was reading the questions better and hence was not missing out the key words in the question.

2 weeks before the exam i took the OIG 1 and went through some domains in it. There are 2-3 domains which i felt were very good in OIG compared to AIO.

I had CiSSP for Dummies with me but never touched it.

The key to the exam is to understand the concepts well and for that AIO and OIG will be better than Dummies. I honestly feel you should use Dummies at the start only if you know the concepts well.
    drk1980 wrote: »
    I used AIO 5th edition for all the domains. I went through it once and at the end of each domain took the quiz. I also simultaneously took a customized quiz in cccure for that domain. Every time i had a wrong answer i went back again and reviewed the topic. Sometimes you might have to google to get more information.

When i had 30 days left to take the exam, i reviewed AIO once again and again took the questions. The main difference i noticed this time was i was reading the questions better and hence was not missing out the key words in the question.

2 weeks before the exam i took the OIG 1 and went through some domains in it. There are 2-3 domains which i felt were very good in OIG compared to AIO.

I had CiSSP for Dummies with me but never touched it.

The key to the exam is to understand the concepts well and for that AIO and OIG will be better than Dummies. I honestly feel you should use Dummies at the start only if you know the concepts well.

Good point about the assessment exams after every domain. These often highlight main concepts that the other feels you should be familiar with with regards to the exam. If you don't do well on the assessment exams, go back and review the material, and you'll pick up on it and will be easier to retain then the first time around. Very good point you made.
    Next Up...
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have the CISSP for dummies book 3rd edition and think they have done well with it. My other book is the CBK from ISC2 and CBT nuggets videos. 7 Weeks and counting.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    azjag wrote: »
    I have the CISSP for dummies book 3rd edition and think they have done well with it. My other book is the CBK from ISC2 and CBT nuggets videos. 7 Weeks and counting.
    Who is teaching your CBT Nuggets? The ones I have seem dated, like 06-07 timeframe.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Moe, where will you test at?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    Moe, where will you test at?
    Kansas City, MO. I'm flying from Afghanistan soon.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    good luck and stay safe... I was at Kandahar as a biometrics engineer/contractor in 07. getting to go to BAF was a vacation! LOL
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed