SY0-301 CompTIA Security+ 2011

some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just saw this today, when I was going to download the 201 objectives. They had a new link for the 301, and I don't know if it's been shared here yet. For what they have on the 301 objectives as of now, what is your opinion?

Link to objectives: http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Exam_Objectives/CompTIA_Security_SY0-301.sflb.ashx
A+ ~ Feb 2010
Network+ ~ Jun 2010
Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???

Comments

• gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    umm been studying for 2 months already for current sec+ and its already being replaced in less than 3 years oh well. I'm planning to take my exam soon and be done with compTIA exams. I wonder if this means 201 exams are already being retired?
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm..personally I think the SY0-301 exam looks better :D It's more detailed and seems to cover more topics. I'm taking SY0-201 tomorrow, and now after reviewing the material and studying it doesn't feel like as much as I originally thought.

What do most people do here about keeping up with exams anyways? I've started to wonder lately, especially those of you that have many. Do you maintain all of them and keep them all current, or just a few? Some are lifetime such as these CompTIA (through this year anyways), but then there would always be newer versions to test on. Others require re-testing, and it seems like this could require a lot of time and money if you have many certs. I hope to have many certs one day, but I don't know if I would find the time / money to keep them all current - maybe a few select ones or any that my employer wanted me to keep current, but idk about the rest....
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spam
    Phishing
    Spim
    Vishing
    Spear phishing

icon_lol.gif

It doesn't say when the SY0-301 will come out or when SY0-201 will be retired, so I'll go ahead and finish. It's just more money to spend if I need/want the 2011 certification too. Ugh.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Dammit, I'm supposed to be studying for the CCDA! I spent half the day looking up and researching the new exam topics for SY0-301 thanks to this thread. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    interesting theard intresting document.

But I thought they where bringing out a new super security cert something like a Security ++
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Hopefully Darill is working on a book for this one :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    They are basically taking some of the same topics and delving into the nitty gritty of them.

Many of the things included in this updated version are actually covered in various textbooks, cbts or various practice tests. So in essence, the over-bloated material will actually be on the exam, not just in a transcender like test.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep in mind too that this is all for 2011. That's when Security+ (and A+ and Network+ will stop being lifetime). All of you DoD 8570 guys who are taking the current Security+ exam, you folks are going to be good for 3 years from the time your Security+ was passed. All you will need to do after 3 years is get the CE credential affixed to Security+.
    If I’m considered “certified for life” and want to participate in continuing education (CE) what do I need to know?
    • For those certified on or before December 31, 2010 individuals must enroll in the continuing education (CE) program on or before December 31, 2012.
    • You have three years from the date of enrollment in the CE program to complete the appropriate level of continuing education units to receive a new CE designation. For example, if you were previously CompTIA A+ certified, you will retain that certification for life upon completion of the A+ CE program, and you will also receive a CompTIA A+CE certification.
    • By enrolling and completing your CE program you will obtain this new CE certification. You will be held to the policies related to certification renewal and the CE program. Therefore, this new CE certification would expire three years from the date of achieving it through the CE program.
    • If you do not enroll in continuing education on or before December 31, 2012, or do not comply with CE program policies, or do not complete your CE units within the three year period, you will be required to retake and pass the current exam(s) in order to be certified and opt back into the CE program. Note: If applicable, you will retain any previous “certified for life” status.
    • Qualified CE activities can be submitted for units if they occurred or were completed within 90 days prior to enrollment into CE.

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

For those that are part of the CompTIA trinity, like myself:
    Is there a cost associated with the certification renewal program?

Yes. Participants will pay annual maintenance fees that will be used to offset the costs associated to the administration and hosting of the continuing education program and system. There will be an annual fee of $25 if they are CompTIA A+ certified, or $49 if they are CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certified. On or before the CE program expiration date, their full CE program fees must be paid in full, along with completing their required continuing education units (CEUs).
    Individuals will be responsible for paying the minimum of $25 or $49 on an annual basis or will have the option of paying in full at one time for the full program duration.
    Total fee for 3-year program
    Continuing Education Units required
    CompTIA A+
    $75
    CompTIA Network+
    $147
    CompTIA Security+
    $147

I hold multiple CompTIA certifications. Am I required to renew each of them?

No. Individuals with multiple CompTIA certifications will be prompted to renew at their highest level of certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements for CompTIA Security+. Completion of CE for CompTIA Security+ would grant the participant with a CompTIA Security+CE, and simultaneously grant a new CompTIA A+CE and CompTIA Network+CE.

So just get your Security+, then after a couple of years, if you need to be in the CE club, pay the money and do what you need to do to make sure you have 50 units...you won't have to take another exam.
    my opinion is I got the 3 before 2011 I got in for life and im not going to do any more comptia. im done with comptia it was fun to start with but im moving forward on to other things
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DoubleD wrote: »
    my opinion is I got the 3 before 2011 I got in for life and im not going to do any more comptia. im done with comptia it was fun to start with but im moving forward on to other things

DoD 8570 folks don't seem to have that option....

Otherwise, I agree completely with this. :) (Except for Project+....that one I have to do for WGU icon_lol.gif )
  • IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is CompTIA offering a bridge exam from Sy0-201 to Sy0-301?
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I recollect correctly part of their 3 year renewal deal is no more bridge exams so I doubt one will be offered.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bet everyone will be trying to get Sec+ by year's end...I know I will
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I bet everyone will be trying to get Sec+ by year's end...I know I will

then this forum will go quite after this year when no one wants to take it
  • walterbyrdwalterbyrd Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is CompTIA offering a bridge exam from Sy0-201 to Sy0-301?

CompTIA's bridge exam from sy0-101 to sy201, will be retired on 31-Dec-2010. I don't think there will be any bridge exams after that.

If I have sy0-101, do I need to take the bridge exam? Or, will CE take care of that?
  • trini1trini1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello what is CompTIA current exam version is Sy0-201 to Sy0-301?

Thanksicon_study.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    trini1 wrote: »
    Hello what is CompTIA current exam version is Sy0-201 to Sy0-301?

Both are current. The 201 is good until the end of the year while the 301 is it's replacement and will be around for a couple years more. Passing either will get you the same sheet of paper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • KillermacKillermac Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The DoD 8570 is just bull)(* to have keep paying to re-up my knowledge is like having to keep taking my drives ed test over and over again. If you are working the industry it should count for something. Also if you look real close at the CE credit's to earn the 50 it is just BS. You are better off taking the tests again.
    Killermac :)
    A+;Net+;XP,MCP, Security+, Win 7: 70-680
  • zaxbysaucezaxbysauce Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Killermac wrote: »
    The DoD 8570 is just bull)(* to have keep paying to re-up my knowledge is like having to keep taking my drives ed test over and over again. If you are working the industry it should count for something. Also if you look real close at the CE credit's to earn the 50 it is just BS. You are better off taking the tests again.

If we teleported a person from 1970 to now, they could still drive. If we teleported a computer engineer from 1970 to now they'd have no frakking clue how to use a PC. The tech world changes so quickly that knowledge proven 3 years ago is either outdated or just plain invalid. I know in essence it is a money grab by CompTIA, but the logic behind it makes sense.
    Transferred
    LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 SSC1 SST1 GAC1 HHT1 TSV1 IWC1 IWT1 ABV1 BAC1 BBC1 TNV1
    Finished
    EWB2
    WFV1 CLC1MGC1
  • YamsYams Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what you're telling me is.... I paid the $45 for the ce on network+, I didn't need to start that until the third year? I was told you had to start it immediately, or else you wouldn't be able to get the ce identifier.

Also, can I let the ce die on the network+, and start it on the security+, and the ce be good for both?

One more little question..... I need to get the 201 before december 31, or I will need to study again for the 301 for after january 1?
  • ortizalanmortizalanm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A friend recently took the exam and the proctor said about the first of the year the exam will have practicals. Actually performing actions vice just answering questions. Doesn't sound like it would work too well on a security exam but stranger things have happened.
    Grace.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Yes, CompTIA used performance based questions in the CASP exam when it was first released. They announced this year that the new 801/802 exams will use these, the Network+ exam started using them this quarter (October, November, December 2012), and the Security+ exam is due to start using them in the first quarter of 2013 (January, February, March 2013).

This blog talks about performance based testing and what you might expect: Get Certified Get Ahead | CompTIA Performance Based Testing, and this blog is focused on Network+ performance based questions Get Certified Get Ahead | Network+ Performance Based Questions

On the Network exams, people are only reporting that they are only seeing about three of these and the rest are the regular multiple choice questions. The Security+ might be the same.
  • flipflop4567flipflop4567 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Recently pass SEC + and was wondering about the continuing education. What exactly is the deal with that? How does take place and how does that effect when my certification runs out? Any help as always would be greatly appreciate. Thank you.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In short within three years you need to take another exam on the list, and pay fee (yearly). Do NOT submit your ceu's before the three years is nearly up. if you got certified today and passed the CCNA Security tomorrow, pay your yearly fee, and on 2/26/2017 you submit the CEU's for the CCNA Security, which will renew you for three years from that day.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Wait, what yearly fee? I thought if I take the Sec+ exam again in three years it will renew A+ Net+ Sec+ and that's it. Is there something else I'm missing?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Successful completion of the CE Program requires that all the following terms are met on or before the CE Program expiration date.
    • Sign the Continuing Education Program Code of Ethics Policy annually
    • Pay the three-year CE maintenance fees associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    • Upload all Continuing Education Unit requirements associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    These requirements can be completed through your certification account.
    Audits of CE program involvement occur on a random basis. CompTIA is unable to guarantee your record will be audited.