need a part time job to gain experience for my certs.

kypumperkypumper Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I like my full time job I work for a telephone company and get to provision, troubleshoot SONET equipment and provision T1 wan circuits to business customers around the city. I also run a computer business, but i don't have many business customers mainly residental clients that have spyware or virus problems. The problem I am having is I need some more experience administrating networks other than my personal server and clients at my house to practice on. What is a good place to work to gain some server administration experience? I would think my knowledge of wan networking would help, but so far it hasn't. I guess I could have a worse problem no job atall though.
I love the Search Function!

Comments

• s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Monster.com, Dice.com, local newspaper, and people you know are the best places to find jobs. Your WAN experience should help. Ofcourse the job market could suck where you live...so where do you live?
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    It can sometimes be hard to find part-time work in the IT industry. Just depends on who's hiring and what the market is like in your area.
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    second shift help...
    What next?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It's going to be somewhat difficult to jump into an admin position where you're over a companies servers, without some experience doing that.

If you don't have that experience or credentials, most likely you'll have to move up within a company.

At least that's what I see...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    kypumper wrote:
    The problem I am having is I need some more experience administrating networks other than my personal server and clients at my house to practice on. What is a good place to work to gain some server administration experience?

Why not work on your own? Start your own little consulting business and be the 'IT' department for small businesses around your area.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good suggestion from Plantwiz. As long as you know what you're doing and don't screw anyone over you'll do fine doing that.
  • kypumperkypumper Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am gaining more confidence the more I study. I have learned alot about DNS servers the last 2 weeks hopefully Friday I will be a MCSA and then I can advertise that fact.
    I love the Search Function!