Help: what virtual machine to use

I need to return to studying Windows 2008 R2 and Exchane 2010 and my problem is I cannot install Windows 2008 R2 64 bit to my Virtual PC 2007. My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I install Virtual PC 2007 to use as my virtual machine but to my dismay, I cannot install Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit). I want to install this so that I can install Exchange 2010 which is automatic 64 bit. Please advise me on this. Do I have to use another virtual machine like VMWare? I s it compatible on Windows 7?

Comments

• za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to my knowledge Virtual PC 2007 doesn't support 64bit guests. I'm using VMware instead to have my Windows 2008 R2 and it works just fine.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    za3bour is right, 64 bit guests are not supported in Virtual PC 2007. Your processor also needs to be able to support Virtualisation Technology.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Well, I am using an i3 processor, with windows 7 64 bit installed on it and it is supporting virtualization. I will try to use VMWare or Virtual Box and I'll check if it will work on that. Thanks guys...
    N/P, Most new CPU supports virtualisation you just have to enable it through Bios.
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Update: I use VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 has been installed and working fine. Now, I just need to familiarized myself with Vmware and I am now ready to continue my quest for MCITP upgrade as well as studying MS Exchage Server 2010.
    Good Luck, Exchange 2010 is my next goal after I finish MCITP-EA