Security+ Worth It?

WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
Hello all,

I was thinking of taking my S+ cert, but would it make sense for someone who has 5 years of professional IT experience, someone who holds MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, and A+/Net+ certs, would adding Security+ or even Server+ help add to my resume/CV or is it more for the people who are just starting to get into IT?
In Progress: CCNP ROUTE

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I got my Security+ almost year ago, well after I had my A+, Net+, CCNA, MCSA. I mainly got my Security+ because I wanted to get feet wet to many of the Security fundamental ideas.. EAP methods/Encryption types and standards and details.

I consider the Security+ worth it. A had quite a few questions on CCNA Security that were simple basic encryption protocol questions. Plus knowing the details of the encryption algorithms saves time when designing VPN connections, deploying full disk encryption, selecting EAP types (since you already know what they are). That is just my opinion.

Server+ I do not have.. I've considered it, just haven't found the time. People I have spoke with say it's just hardware related and having your MCSA already makes it worthless.. So I'd wait for others to reply for the Server+.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Many times depends on job requirements, or the field you want to focus on, in your case you already have an well put resume/career going on, so for you is just a matter of choice.

Lately I've seen that many government jobs like to see Security+ along with their other certs on their IT personal, but again not all cases.

Although I thought that Security+ was part of the MCSE?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think it is def worth it. It will give you a chance to get your feet wet into security, sometimes it helps on the resume sometimes it doesn't. It is worth pointing out though that having it can always help (never hurt).

@Ivanr4g63 - You can use the Sec+ as an elective requirement for the MCSE.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Hello all,

I was thinking of taking my S+ cert, but would it make sense for someone who has 5 years of professional IT experience, someone who holds MCSA, MCSE, CCENT, and A+/Net+ certs, would adding Security+ or even Server+ help add to my resume/CV or is it more for the people who are just starting to get into IT?

I would say that it is definately worth it, it delves into security rather than how to implement MS product for security. I wouldn't say that it was more for people who are just starting out in IT. But more for people who want to gain some security knowledge in the IT field (including those in IT that want to enter the IT security field, those who have entered the IT Sercuirty field and those who want to gain a position in IT).
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    ...Server+ I do not have.. I've considered it, just haven't found the time. People I have spoke with say it's just hardware related and having your MCSA already makes it worthless.. So I'd wait for others to reply for the Server+.

I have to disagree with the MCSA making the Server+ worthless, both of them test on different subjects/objectives that it would be unfair to compare them as like for like. No-where does the MCSA go into the hardware side and vice versa.

However saying that what I do have an issue with is the price for the Server+ exam, granted it is (currently) a life-long cert but is the price of $239 (£169) worth the cost?
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I would say that it is definately worth it, it delves into security rather than how to implement MS product for security. I wouldn't say that it was more for people who are just starting out in IT. But more for people who want to gain some security knowledge in the IT field (including those in IT that want to enter the IT security field, those who have entered the IT Sercuirty field and those who want to gain a position in IT).

I have to disagree with the MCSA making the Server+ worthless, both of them test on different subjects/objectives that it would be unfair to compare them as like for like. No-where does the MCSA go into the hardware side and vice versa.

However saying that what I do have an issue with is the price for the Server+ exam, granted it is (currently) a life-long cert but is the price of $239 (£169) worth the cost?

+1

I agree with all this, especially the cost. For entry level exams they are not really entry level prices. I think there is less content in this than some MS exams so why over twice the price?

I have just about finished studying for the sec+ and work was going to pay for the exam, but I have now been told the training budget is frozen so it looks like I will be footing the bill myself. I am happy to pay myself as I have done for most of my exams, but I wouldn't be paying if I didnt think it was worth it. In fact to be honest, I think everyone who works in IT should have a go at it.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would argue that unless you are using it to for a requirement (DoD/Gov job or MCSA/E Security) or because you have an interest in becoming a security analyst, it is probably not worth it. I believe a basic understanding of Security is important, but from a career perspective, the money might be better spent on an enterprise application cert like SharePoint or Exchange.

I'll be clear - from a knowledge perspective I am very happy that I studied these topic. But it has had 0 impact on any job I ever applied for. All of the related topics I have had to use in my job (PKI, RADIUS, etc) were all covered in my MCSE studies. I agree with Gateway's sentiment that this knowledge is foundational to our field. But to justify the cost... Maybe if this cert were $100, I would say go for it. From a practical erspective - I say do it now if you are ever going to. But don't expect any career-based return unless you are planning to go into the some sort of Gov or Mil job. SOme stuff you do to enrich yourself professionally. Not to get hired at COmpany X or to get ahead at your current job. This is one of those things.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Yeah I kinda seemed to me a nice "its nice to know" but I don't see any HRguy or recuriter or even a IT director looking at my resume/CV and saying "WOW! He has his Security/Server+! Lets get him!"

Like also mentioned, the 200+$ pricetag of the cert is kinda high. If it was 125$ I wouldn't mind but for some reason CompTIA loves jacking up their prices. I think when I took Net+ I was like 250$!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I kinda seemed to me a nice "its nice to know" but I don't see any HRguy or recuriter or even a IT director looking at my resume/CV and saying "WOW! He has his Security/Server+! Lets get him!"

Like also mentioned, the 200+$ pricetag of the cert is kinda high. If it was 125$ I wouldn't mind but for some reason CompTIA loves jacking up their prices. I think when I took Net+ I was like 250$!

If you have spent a lot of time studying it. You could buy a discount voucher.

Discount Test Vouchers for A+ Certification Microsoft Certification from GetCertify4Less

If you have any inclination to take the exam you should do so before renewal is required. I know I am arguing it is not worth it and then encouraging you to take it... If you consider it something you do to improve yourself professionally rather than as a resume builder, it is worth it. But like I said, unless you are going for jobs that specifically require it, imagining that the Sec+ is going to advance your career is delusional.