Security+ Tomorrow

durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Scheduled to take it tomorrow. Used:
Sybex study guide, Skimed through All-in-One Study Guide, roughly 1000 questions combined through the two books, proprof practice quizzes/exams, as well as the study guides on proprofs and this site to summarize what I've already learned.

I had posted a thread earlier about layers, and I now have another question in the same topic. Someone had mentioned that in terms of knowing the layers and protocols that apply to them, make sure that I know where each firewall is located:
ALG = Application
Stateful = Network
*Circuit-Level = Session
Packet Filtering = Network

I've read from multiple sources that circuit-level works at the session layer, however, on the techexams study guide for network devices it states it's on the transport layer.

Anyway, I think I'm ready for this. I feel close to about 100% with all the objectives. Only thing given me doubt is reading repeatedly that questions are vague and poorly worded with ambiguous choices for answers..

Comments

• ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Good Luck, You will do fine :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    durnenmr wrote: »
    Scheduled to take it tomorrow. Used:
    Sybex study guide, Skimed through All-in-One Study Guide, roughly 1000 questions combined through the two books, proprof practice quizzes/exams, as well as the study guides on proprofs and this site to summarize what I've already learned.

Anyway, I think I'm ready for this. I feel close to about 100% with all the objectives. Only thing given me doubt is reading repeatedly that questions are vague and poorly worded with ambiguous choices for answers..

Just read the questions carefully and you'll be fine. The Security+ exam is not like going for an MS exam or CCNA, or anything like that. As long as you understood the Sybex and AIO, then you'll be fine.

Best of luck....you'll get the pass. icon_thumright.gif
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Regarding your current question on the layers, I would also say session layer of OSI model, or transport layer of TCP/IP model. But, if your test is similar to mine which I took over this past weekend, I didn't have any questions on which layer anything happens at. Well, none that I remember, so if there was one or two they were simple enough to not require any thought on my part.

And yes - the biggest issue I had with the exam was simply the confusing nature of some of the questions and which answer they might be looking for. Sometimes it feels like they don't provide enough information for you to make the right call between two answers, but it happens. It happened to me on questions throughout the entire test but I still passed with an 864. You will get some and lose some, but between the ones you guess right and the other questions you know are right, you should come out ahead without any issues.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • durnenmrdurnenmr Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely wasn't as ready as I thought I was for this one. Put too much emphasis on the wrong material. Ended up with a handwritten 30 page study guide I put together during my preparation, and it may have helped with maybe 10 of the 100 questions.

But...I passed with a 764. I knew I'd be happy if I passed, but I'm ecstatic that I was THAT close. I loved how they made me fill out a survey prior to showing the results..about had a heart attack.

Time to pop bottles.
  • WizardofWarWizardofWar Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gratz on the pass.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely wasn't as ready as I thought I was for this one. Put too much emphasis on the wrong material. Ended up with a handwritten 30 page study guide I put together during my preparation, and it may have helped with maybe 10 of the 100 questions.

But...I passed with a 764. I knew I'd be happy if I passed, but I'm ecstatic that I was THAT close. I loved how they made me fill out a survey prior to showing the results..about had a heart attack.

Time to pop bottles.

Next time, I go to a Prometric center instead of Vue....you get the survey after your score. :D

Your score is definitely a good review of the Sybex material; you passed, but you might have done well with the good DG book.

But dude, a pass is a pass, so congratulations!! icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif
  • kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I loved how they made me fill out a survey prior to showing the results..about had a heart attack.

That one made me laugh, because I've def been there. :)

Nice job!!
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good job. Congratulations
  • lockdnloadedlockdnloaded Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah that damn survey...... Congrats on the pass!