Auto PSTN configuration Script

Well I get asked a lot about PSTN templates or custom creation of PSTN configuration. And usually they are almost all the same except for port numbers and a few dialing pattern changes. So I started writing on my blog about some of the problems that most people run into and diagramming how I create a robust PSTN configuration from the ground up. When after my fifth cup of coffee It dawned on me, I should just create a simple script that people fill in and it auto creates the Dial Plan, Translation Patterns, PSTN-Phone, ISDN Block's and GK/ITSP configurations. If I can get at least 5 people to say they would use this script and can help me test it, I will start working on it. I honestly don't think it would be that hard but would need some real feed back.

-This is all geared toward the CCIE voice but can be applied to the CCVP.
-I also have VM/SecureCRT scripts for anyone that wants to automate there lab's...

Happy Studing!!!icon_study.gif
The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.

Comments

• hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    Well I get asked a lot about PSTN templates or custom creation of PSTN configuration. And usually they are almost all the same except for port numbers and a few dialing pattern changes. So I started writing on my blog about some of the problems that most people run into and diagramming how I create a robust PSTN configuration from the ground up. When after my fifth cup of coffee It dawned on me, I should just create a simple script that people fill in and it auto creates the Dial Plan, Translation Patterns, PSTN-Phone, ISDN Block's and GK/ITSP configurations. If I can get at least 5 people to say they would use this script and can help me test it, I will start working on it. I honestly don't think it would be that hard but would need some real feed back.

-This is all geared toward the CCIE voice but can be applied to the CCVP.
    -I also have VM/SecureCRT scripts for anyone that wants to automate there lab's...

Happy Studing!!!icon_study.gif

Count me in for the testing/use!!!!!!!!!! and SecureCRT goodies!!!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Great timing. We're about to roll out a 50 user IPT pilot, tearing a PRI out of our 6-PRI trunk for their use. I was just just thinking about how to set up the PSTN portion.

I would enjoy seeing your script.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lucky,

I'd be interested... I'm currently studying my CCNA Voice but I've already been eyeing what I needed to begin setting up my CCVP...err...CCNP Voice lab. Thanks in advanced.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting idea. I have been tinkering with TCL scripts a little bit, I think it has major potential for such configurations.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking at doing a template for the Australian Numbering Plan. National numbers are easy, but due to our variety of numbers for Local calls based on calling location complicates things. However I've found that for templates using trunk groups to point to ports simplifies the call routing process.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd be willing to help out - Just as long as this doesn't take time away from your IE Voice studies ;) (we need someone around here to pass that sucker!!)

Can you post (or PM me) the link to your blog?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Sorry guys/girls, it was like the next day that things started to pick up for me and I have not had time to think about anything but work. I still want to move forward with this project I just have not had time. I will post with any updates to the project. Thanks for all the responses.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    whats the link to your blog? :)
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Any one that wants the blog link just post/PM me and I will send you the link. Good Luck on your studies.