Options

Getting my head around Group policies and NTFS

Having abit of trouble with the above topic, its compleatly loosing me inheritance, assigning permitions ect, can anyone point me in the direction as to where i can practice this like setting up a lab to test out, i have two PCs and a cross over cable, money it abit tight at the moment so i cant get anymore equipment or books to learn from icon_sad.gif got 3 weeks left and am starting to think about putting it back even thou i have the 2nd shot, i want to keep my string of passing first time :D

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'd say, keep on going. I have a similar setup. and I try to set scenarios that prevent access, although it is somewhat difficult after a while...seeing that you created the problem, but it gives you a sense of what you would see in that case. Stusy, then stusy, and when you have some free time, study some more. Permissions are a mainstay on the exam I'm sure, seeing you need to know that stuff. I took some time off because it was racking my brain a bit.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Yeah im thinking of taking a few days off to have a play with it, I work more on the visual side of things to learn, reading a book at times goes over my head and i look the CBT nuggets to learn from, looking out for some test questions in senarios to set up and work out why its working/not working.

Keep reading stuff while im at work now, but its not sinking in icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Luckly i had a teacher to teach me them and i remember him saying the only way to learn them is repetition. Permissions, Policies and inheritance are extremely important in todays business world. I would make a small ruebric or something...keeping track by writing them down so you can keep looking back. Thats what i did and it worked. Good luck and i know you can do it :D
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    small ruebric

Whats one of these?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    RobsonGTO wrote:
    small ruebric

Whats one of these?

Rubric
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jbollynjbollyn Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    RobsonGTO wrote:
    Having abit of trouble with the above topic, its compleatly loosing me inheritance, assigning permitions ect, can anyone point me in the direction as to where i can practice this like setting up a lab to test out, i have two PCs and a cross over cable, money it abit tight at the moment so i cant get anymore equipment or books to learn from icon_sad.gif got 3 weeks left and am starting to think about putting it back even thou i have the 2nd shot, i want to keep my string of passing first time :D
    You can get a pretty good idea of what is going on with Group Policies by using the Local Computer Policy. From the winXP command prompt, GPEDIT.MSC Enter. The policies you set can all be disabled if you R-click on Local Computer Policy > Properties > check both check boxes. The policies you set apply to all accounts on the PC, including the administrator account(s).

Regarding NTFS permissions, you will find the Effective Permissions tab helpful. In windows explorer, r-click on some file or folder > Properties > Security > Advanced > EP