Options

Favorite Blacklists

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Anyone have one for exchange they like? I have a few...

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stupid question: what is a blacklist?
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Email blacklist for smtp servers, so they'll reject users, domains, or ip's outright instead of wasting time processing a message

Personally, I've found forcing remote clients to be RFC compliant to cut down on ALOT of spam, but I'm not sure you can do that with Exchange. Postfix owns.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    The one I was using shutdown, so I am using multiple ones now. I also completely blocked the country of Germany. ha..
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm using the following:

bl.spamcop.net
    list.dsbl.org
    relays.ordb.org
    I also completely blocked the country of Germany. ha..

Very smart... .US and .CN are way bigger spam sources...

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    I am using
    http://relays.visi.com <
    I think it might have shutdown?
    cbl.abuseat.org
    list.dsbl.org <
    Favorite

The only real problem I had was from Germany sending German links. Once I blocked Germany, Spam was down 99%.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    I am using
    http://relays.visi.com <
    I think it might have shutdown?
    Definitely dead.
    The only real problem I had was from Germany sending German links. Once I blocked Germany, Spam was down 99%.
    That's the infamous Sober virus. I noticed that many viruses send the receivers IP address in the HELO command.

Example:
    SMTP-Server = 1.2.3.4
    Infected-Host = 5.6.7.8

Infected-Host sends HELO 1.2.3.4 which is definitely incorrect. I have successfully blocked lots of Spam by filtering out clients that send specific HELO names (my IP, my domain, localhost) and this does far less colleteral damage then just filtering a whole country.

Regards,
    Lordy

P.S.: My MTA is qmail.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    lordy wrote:
    That's the infamous Sober virus. I noticed that many viruses send the receivers IP address in the HELO command.

Example:
    SMTP-Server = 1.2.3.4
    Infected-Host = 5.6.7.8

Infected-Host sends HELO 1.2.3.4 which is definitely incorrect. I have successfully blocked lots of Spam by filtering out clients that send specific HELO names (my IP, my domain, localhost) and this does far less colleteral damage then just filtering a whole country.

Regards,
    Lordy

P.S.: My MTA is qmail.

Nice feedback. That makes sense..I was getting so frustrated with the spam....I will see what information I can find (it was a while ago) & unblock Germany. I figured that blacklist was down. Do you know what happened? I use Exchange; qmail is without a doubt better. I do not have much experience with qmail or thats what I would run.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use Mailwasher, which has three blacklists...I know one is Spamcop...works pretty well, lets me see the spam titles before I delete them in case of an error, and sorts out by friend, normal, or B-listed....
    i remain, he who remains to be....