Options

Can someone translate this Cisco command to Juniper?

kronicklezkronicklez Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Need your help to translate below Cisco command into juniper.
I already test using Junos translator but no good result.

Is it same in Cisco " router ospf 1" same with juniper "set protocol ospf area 1"?

Need your advise. Thanks.

Cisco

router ospf 1

network 192.168.100.2 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 192.168.200.2 0.0.0.0 area 0

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the Cisco world, the 1 in router ospf is the process-id. Your backbone area would still be area 0 - process id is being used by Cisco to specify which instance of OSPF is running in case you have an advanced configuration with multiple OSPF processes on a single router. Junos can do that as well, with routing-instances I believe - but I'm still learning my way through the Juniper world so I may be wrong there. In Junos, you would have the hierarchy you configure ospf under for area 0 be as follows:

edit protocols ospf area 0 <-- this will translate to 0.0.0.0

If you do just "set protocols ospf area 0" you'll get an error like missing argument, because your not really setting anything - just specifying the hierarchy you'd like to place a configuration without any actual configuration change. You'll have to add the interface option at the end to specify which interfaces you're going to include in the area.

EDIT: BTW, Juniper has a LOT of very nice free e-books and other resources available if you're new to their gear. There is a couple of sticky posts in the forum that highlight most of them and will give you just about everything you would probably need to know and then some.
  • Options
    kronicklezkronicklez Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In the Cisco world, the 1 in router ospf is the process-id. Your backbone area would still be area 0 - process id is being used by Cisco to specify which instance of OSPF is running in case you have an advanced configuration with multiple OSPF processes on a single router. Junos can do that as well, with routing-instances I believe - but I'm still learning my way through the Juniper world so I may be wrong there. In Junos, you would have the hierarchy you configure ospf under for area 0 be as follows:

edit protocols ospf area 0 <-- this will translate to 0.0.0.0

If you do just "set protocols ospf area 0" you'll get an error like missing argument, because your not really setting anything - just specifying the hierarchy you'd like to place a configuration without any actual configuration change. You'll have to add the interface option at the end to specify which interfaces you're going to include in the area.

EDIT: BTW, Juniper has a LOT of very nice free e-books and other resources available if you're new to their gear. There is a couple of sticky posts in the forum that highlight most of them and will give you just about everything you would probably need to know and then some.

Hi msteinhilber,

Thanks for reply. Do u mean the router ospf "no" refer to VR in juniper? Yes i know my junos command not complete because that's for example only.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kronicklez wrote: »
    Hi msteinhilber,

Thanks for reply. Do u mean the router ospf "no" refer to VR in juniper? Yes i know my junos command not complete because that's for example only.

Yes, you can run another OSPF instance in a virtual router or if you're just running one instance of OSPF you can avoid VR's unless you had another need for them. If you did need virtual routers, from the reading I've done so far I know there are also logical routers which have some differences from virtual routers. Couldn't tell you which is the way to go since my knowledge of virtual vs. logical is limited to basically knowing that logical routers are a separate process so if one crashes the other doesn't go down where virtual routers share a process - that and the SRX does not support logical routers and I'm pretty sure it's not supported (logical routers) on the J-series either. Like I said though that's something I'm still learning and have only had a couple basic lab's setup with VR's so far.