Using cisco flash card for ''startup confg'' backup??

janez_drkjanez_drk Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have a case like this:
3 Cisco routers on remote locations(A,B,C) (model 1841 with 64MB Flash card). On the remote locations I have people who have physical access to routers and nothing else (they can physically replace the routers or Flash card). They have one backup router(on location A) in case something happens and they have to replace 1 of 3 routers in production.

Is there a way that I could use Flash card from the backup router to transfer the startup-config (that I need) to backup router.

I have been doing similar thing with Nortel router, but on the Nortel routers ''config'' is on the PCMCIA card (so the router boots and gets config from the same card).
If the problem was with the PCMCIA card I would do this. Take the new card,
ask the people to put the new PCMCIA card in a working router, transfer the config, put it out back in the place of the broken and restart the router.

tnx

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Save the config to flash and then transfer it over on the next router. Same you would do with the Nortel basically.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    you could do copy startup-config flash: (use correct flash for the card) swap to new router copy flashicon_sad.gifname of saved config file) statup-config reboot router to enable config (use the repplace config command to apply with out reboot.)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • janez_drkjanez_drk Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tnx for the answers... I have been considering the solutions that you provide before posting.

I'll try to explain more:

In Nortel's case I can put config on the PCMCIA card and then put that card in router and it will boot up with the config from the card. So I don't need access to a router..I don't need to do copy flash to startup...

In this case with cisco I can have a startup-config stored in Flash but I don't have access to the backup router so I can't do copy flash: nvram:

Is there a way to tell the router: search the startup-config in the Flash and use it.

What I want is just to copy the startup-config to Flash card. Put that Flash card in backup router. The router boots and uses that copied startup-config without any intervention from me or anyone else..
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    janez_drk wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell the router: search the startup-config in the Flash and use it.

What I want is just to copy the startup-config to Flash card. Put that Flash card in backup router. The router boots and uses that copied startup-config without any intervention from me or anyone else..

I've done this before on the 2800 series routers - Try adding "boot config flash:FILENAME nvbypass" to the config (assuming the command is available on the 1800s).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Command Reference - A through B [Support] - Cisco Systems

boot config
    To specify the device and filename of the configuration file from which the system configures itself during initialization (startup), use the boot config command in global configuration mode. To return to the default location for the configuration file, use the no form of this command.

Platforms Other than Cisco 7600 Series Router

boot config file-system-prefix:[directory/]filename [nvbypass]

no boot config

Cisco 7600 Series Router

boot config device:filename [nvbypass]

no boot config

Syntax Description
    file-system-prefix:
    File system, followed by a colon (for example, nvram:, flash:, slot0:, usbflash[0-9]:, or usbtoken[0-9]: ). The default is nvram:.

directory/
    (Optional) File system directory where the configuration file is located, followed by a forward slash (/).

filename
    Name of the configuration file.

device:
    Device identification, followed by a colon; see the "Usage Guidelines" section for a list of the valid values.

nvbypass
    (Optional) Specifies that the distilled configuration is not written to nonvolatile random access memory (NVRAM).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great info Pitviper!

Tagged for later enjoyment.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT