CIW Certifications??

Everyone,
I'm needing to get an OS Cert to comply with DoD 8570.01-m standards, and wanted to get input from anyone that might have experience with CIW. This is a requirement filler, and if I learn something in the process, that's great, but if it's a rehash from some of my previous certs.....as long as I meet the requirement.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dorawe wrote: »
    Everyone,
    I'm needing to get an OS Cert to comply with DoD 8570.01-m standards, and wanted to get input from anyone that might have experience with CIW. This is a requirement filler, and if I learn something in the process, that's great, but if it's a rehash from some of my previous certs.....as long as I meet the requirement.

It's a rehash for you.

If CIW Web Associates 5 is a requirement (1D0-510), then you will need no study (believe me). You only need 54 out of 85 questions to get right. You can use the mcmcse.com study guide and use that to pass. It's a culmination of A+, Network+, Security+ and some Project+ sprinkled in. You may need to bone up on html, but you won't need to be a web expert to pass this exam.

I would list it as a cert, but I don't want to waste precious bytes that could be used for real certs....if this exam is a DoD requirement, then just schedule the exam and pass it. :)
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It's a rehash for you.

If CIW Web Associates 5 is a requirement (1D0-510), then you will need no study (believe me). You only need 54 out of 85 questions to get right. You can use the mcmcse.com study guide and use that to pass. It's a culmination of A+, Network+, Security+ and some Project+ sprinkled in. You may need to bone up on html, but you won't need to be a web expert to pass this exam.

I would list it as a cert, but I don't want to waste precious bytes that could be used for real certs....if this exam is a DoD requirement, then just schedule the exam and pass it. :)

It's not that the this particular cert is the requirement, but it MEETS the requirement of having an OS certification (not sure how, since from what I read it's a non-vendor specific). You're right about the "wasting bytes", I'm also working on CEH and upgrading from ITILv2 to V3.
    It's not that the this particular cert is the requirement, but it MEETS the requirement of having an OS certification (not sure how, since from what I read it's a non-vendor specific). You're right about the "wasting bytes", I'm also working on CEH and upgrading from ITILv2 to V3.

No I get what you're saying...you want the bare minimum of what the requirement is, and this exam qualifies.

Have a look at this:

CIW Foundations Study Notes

It's what helped me pass this exam (with a head cold) when I recently sat for it (had to to meet my requirement of passing "WFV1" for WGU [IT Fundamentals I]). With Network+ and Security+ under your belt (plus your A+-like knowledge), you really will find this to be a joke of an exam/cert, like I did.

Definitely not ITIL or CEH... :)
    erpadmin wrote: »
    No I get what you're saying...you want the bare minimum of what the requirement is, and this exam qualifies.

Have a look at this:

CIW Foundations Study Notes

It's what helped me pass this exam (with a head cold) when I recently sat for it (had to to meet my requirement of passing "WFV1" for WGU [IT Fundamentals I]). With Network+ and Security+ under your belt (plus your A+-like knowledge), you really will find this to be a joke of an exam/cert, like I did.

Definitely not ITIL or CEH... :)

I hate to make it sound like I'm shooting for the floor, but at this point I need to make the 'prerequisite gods' happy, and since work only knows two speeds, 100mph or zero, I just want it out of the way.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am taking it for WGU, took the practice test and passed it with ease. Some of the questions are so easy they are almost hard... other than that, piece of cake.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Thanks for the info. Is it even worth buying a CIW Foundations study guide, or is there enough free stuff out there that would suffice? I also took a practice test and passed on the first go-around.
    Depends. WGU sent me a bunch of CIW books to study with, and I have not even opened the packaging. I would say that anyone who has made a website, and been on the service desk should be able to pass the exam.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All you will need to do is brush up on basic html as well as some of the vocabulary of project management. The network and basic troubleshooting questions are pretty easy.
    WGU sent me the CIW study guides and because they were there I did open up.

All you need is that guide to brush up on...your Net+/Security+ certs will carry you.

If you feel like you MUST spend money (though I'm telling you, you won't need to), just get the uCertify test engine. When you do and you score high enough on the first go, you're going to regret spending the money on it. (I was talked out of it personally... :) )
    thanks for the info. Did you ever go any deeper into CIW certs, or did you stop at Foundations?
    thanks for the info. Did you ever go any deeper into CIW certs, or did you stop at Foundations?

He likely stopped at foundations if he followed WGU. I have yet to meet anyone who dived deeper into the CIW certifications. But if you are interesting in webmastering, I'd imagine being a "Certified Internet Webmaster" would be a very good thing. For us though... its pretty useless.

Having spent some time in EComerce, I can say I would only get certified in CIW deeper if it would help people trust me in freelance work. Easier to sell yourself.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    The CIW Certifications are pretty basic. I went and did the Site Designer Certification since I took the Ecommerce Beta Exam. I had to take Foundations and the Site Designer Exam. For the Foundations exam, I got the material from CIW which was a waste, but it was on sale. You could probably find a online resource or use one of the Mega Guides from Preplogic when they go on sale. I used one of the $1 Mega Guides from Preplogic for the Site Designer Exam. I don't think it affects marketability much though since people are more concerned about seeing your portfolio than knowing you have the cert.
    Thanks for the info willhi...........
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually at WGU those in the Network Admin or Network Design and Admin curriculum have to take the CIW JavaScript exam also. Some other majors also have to take Site design and Database CIW exams.
    CIW certs are really basic and carry very little weight in the job market.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

My apologies for not answering this earlier; I had a personal emergency while this thread was going on involving a fire (everyone is ok....it's just crap I have to deal with now).

Chmorin and Earweed are correct. I do not have to go "deeper" into CIW to be a certified webmaster, as that's personally outside of my scope. It would be useful if I wanted to get into web developing/design, but I don't.

I do have to take the Javascript exam (I believe the 1D0-435), and much like the 1D0-510 exam, I plan on utilizing the mcmcse study guide, plus the links that jmasterj206 gave us earlier for that. This time, I will use ucertify, as I'm no javascript programmer, but programming is not what's going to be tested.

As I have said earlier on the subject of the CIW Foundations exam...if you have been in IT for a long time, it's a terribly simple exam. If you are new to IT, it can actually be very useful to study for it as you are tested on EVERYTHING that goes into IT. That is the thing that I both liked and hated about this exam. LOL, it sounds weird but I think experienced folks (who had to take this exam) would get what I was talking about. But since you already have Network+ and Security+, this should be slightly a walk in the park for you...especially after you review the mcmcse.com study guide for foundations.

Again, sorry about the late response.