Passed Sec +

topper24501topper24501 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey I passed the Sec + today with the score of 892. I was surprised when I saw that score. My results showed only three objectives wrong.

I used Darril Gibsons book, Transcender, And I took every term from each chapter of Darril's book and made flash cards.

I scored around 83-88% on Transcenders Test. I think transcender was harder than the actual exam.

I studied for a total of 2 months about 3-4 days a week, after my xbox 360 (RROD) and PS3 (YLOD) overheated and died on me.

One of the main things I did was narrow each question down to two answers and use logic. For example, If it ask you what monitors and prevent questionable network traffic. It cannot be a NIDS or HIDS because that only detects. So it has to be NIPS. Or if it ask, what detects questionable traffic to a local server. You throw out any answer dealing with network devices like like NIDS b/c it is asking about a local machine.

Hopefully, I not breaking any rules by saying this but I believe it will help people is they read every question fully and understand what they are asking for.

Also, please know the difference between the major encryption algorithms (AES, 3DES) and hashes (SHA and MD5). Know which ones are symmetric and which ones are asymmetric. Also, know which ones are used for encrypting, hashing, non-repudiation, mobile devices.

And last but not least, make sure when you are stuck at a answer Say to yourself, "think security".. It will clear up alot of answers. Most of the time you will come up with the best answer.

Thanks to this forum for introducing me to Darril's Book.

Darril, I live in Portsmouth, VA so I owe you dinner at the Cheescake Factory @ town center or Ruth's Chris. HAHA

My requirement's to the DOD is over and I can go back to my Solaris and Citrix training.icon_study.gif
Network+ CE
Security+ CE
MCITP: SA
OCP - Solaris 10
CISSP

Comments

• ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats on the pass :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome score. Congratulations.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only 892? I am very disappointed in you. I think you're a slacker. Why didn't you get a 900?

Hehehhehehe. Just kidding. Great Score! I am using Darril's book, an Exam Cram book (for ...........I am not sure since Darril's book pretty much covers it all) and I have been using Visual CertExam Tests. Are these similar to the Transcender exams?
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Congratulations..

I am taking my test this saturday...
  • simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • topper24501topper24501 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    burner27 wrote: »
    Only 892? I am very disappointed in you. I think you're a slacker. Why didn't you get a 900?

Hehehhehehe. Just kidding. Great Score! I am using Darril's book, an Exam Cram book (for ...........I am not sure since Darril's book pretty much covers it all) and I have been using Visual CertExam Tests. Are these similar to the Transcender exams?

Burner: Darril's book will cover it all. I'm unsure about the CertExam questions. I was able to get my hands on a free Transcender voucher code and used that only for the last week and a half, mainly to get the format of the exam and see if I could apply my strategy or eliminating then selecting the best answer.

But the Transcender exam brought some new things that I didn't see in Darril's book. So I looked it up via google/Technotes but none of those were on the actual exam.

Personally, I believe that it is highly possible to pass with Darrils book alone. Just make sure you know the key terms of every exam objective. Like I said previously, I used Flashcards, it was time consuming to make but very well worth it. I would see the the terms in the multiple choice and easily eliminate the wrong ones b/c the question was about encryption but had SHA1 or MD5 as an answer.

If you have enough time before the exam get about 300 notecards and right the key term on one side and the key facts/definiton on the other. I broke my study cards into the domain , i.e., 1.0 System Security, 2.0 Network Infrastructure. 3.0 Access Controls, etc... I just studied a domain almost every night before I went to bed. I did it so much that I woke up in the the morning thinking about the Security + terms.

Thank you all for the congrats. Now I can't wait till November 8th @ midnight. I'm getting the New Xbox 360 and COD: Black Ops for my birthday..icon_cheers.gif
    Network+ CE
    Security+ CE
    OCP - Solaris 10
    CISSP
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Transcenders are much harder than the actual exam. I didn't score higher than 82-85 percent on those. Darril's book hooked up the 97% on the real mccoy.

892 probably means you got litterally one wrong! (That's 99.1 percent) or part of 1 wrong. I'm curious to know what the score report said that you messed up on.

Of course, congratulations!! Definitely a win for the good guys on that one!! icon_thumright.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the great score!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • topper24501topper24501 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The Transcenders are much harder than the actual exam. I didn't score higher than 82-85 percent on those. Darril's book hooked up the 97% on the real mccoy.

892 probably means you got litterally one wrong! (That's 99.1 percent) or part of 1 wrong. I'm curious to know what the score report said that you messed up on.

Of course, congratulations!! Definitely a win for the good guys on that one!! icon_thumright.gif

All: I apologize... My score was an 882.. not an 892 .. I knew I couldn't have been that smart or lucky... lol

erpadmin: The score report said that I incorrectly answered.

1.5 Implement Security Applications
    1.3 Implement OS hardening practices and procedures to achieve worstation.
    6.3 Differentiate between and execute appropriate incident response procedures.
    Network+ CE
    Security+ CE
    OCP - Solaris 10
    CISSP