Cisco Works

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys

I am looking at Cisco works. Is it any good?

I mean does it allow for the automation of making network maps?

Has anyone used it? And isn't it a lot of work to even set up?

I mean I do not believe in complete automation of network maps.

There is some setup isn't there? Or is there only inserting enable level passwords and presto network maps and monitoring?

Has anyone had some experience? And

How much $$ am I looking at?

thanksicon_cheers.gif

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never heard anything positive about Cisco Works. Network Assistant or something like SolarWinds is always the recommendation.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I've never heard anything positive about Cisco Works. Network Assistant or something like SolarWinds is always the recommendation.

+1

I use Cisco Network Assistant and it isn't bad..however I just do some basic functionality (no monitoring or network mapping required). What's Up Gold is also highly recommended by many people that I talk to.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. yeah I got a hold of cisco works and 2GB ram minimum and
    just seems cheesy..which is weird from cisco but will try other vendors you suggested thank so much.
    Hey guys I downloaded the cisco network assistant ?
    how do you connect to network devices using http???
    enabled on all devices or what? it dont use SNMP??
    help I have no clue; when i search for devices it fails?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm on version 5.5 so your mileage may vary....

When the program starts it asks for an IP address to connect too. You can expand the "option" button to choose the HTTP protocol and the port number. Select your access mode (read/write for me) and then wait before hitting connect.

Login to your router/switch/etc and configure it for access over the HTTP on port 80. Make *sure* that you can access it on that port and then click the connect button in the Cisco network assistant. Works fine for me.

It is worth nothing that Cisco is NOT a software company so the fact that their software isn't great or easy to use should be no surprise to anyone.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I've found it much easier to cobble together a system based on open source projects for management than it ever was to use CiscoWorks.
    thanks guys ;)
    will do and let you know...yeah I am eventally looking at doing it manually but wanted to try some stuff first it is looking more and more like I am going to use cdp and just mull through all of them ;) thanks a lot.