Choosing job offers?

I was just wondering what would be the best way to choose among job offers.

Job 1 is a computer technician that focuses on building computers, whereas job 2 is a help desk role with a hands-on approach opposed to over-the-phone support.

Pay is similiar, however job 2 is a government contract with a secret clearance and requires security+ within 6 months.

I enjoy building computers, but I also enjoy troubleshooting.

I'm A+ certified, and 3 classes short of my A.S. in CIS. Both jobs are entry level.

Having a hard time deciding. icon_sad.gif
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go for the clearance, hands down.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would pick job 2. Helpdesk is better than a Technician role. You will more than likely still have to build and repair pc's as a technician would do anyway.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    how is this even a dilemma?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agreed. That clearance is worth $$. Take job two.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    colemic wrote: »
    Go for the clearance, hands down.

+1. The wait may or may not be killer but in the end it will be worth it.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was strongly leaning towards the help desk role, however so far I've been waiting 2 months already to get selected and was just offered the technician position by a different company. Multiple interviews and continous waiting apparently caused me to want to jump on the 1st offer available. I didn't even need to interview with the other company, as they said "the jobs yours and you can start monday" after a 2 minute phone screening.

I will be hearing back from the help desk company Friday so I'll know if I even get offered the job anyways. I was told they narrowed it down from 150 to 3 so I guess it would be silly to not take it after this long if I get the offer. I guess I didn't think much of the clearance as I already had it from the Military. For now I'll keep the technician job on hold.
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how is this even a dilemma?

word up...#2 is a no brainer. Help Desk/Desktop Support....we still have to build/repair machines.

and the fact that you get security clearance, that is something that is not easily obtained, and you can use when you're lookin for you next job.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup have to say the clearance is golden job 2 is the way to go.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Well I was officially offered the Help Desk Position today, along with 3k more than I asked for. I'm very excited! I start on Monday. Salary position with a bunch of benefits. Not bad considering I don't even have my A.S. yet in CIS and only have A+. Required to get Security+ within 6 months, which I hope to do by the end of the year. Was also told I got the job out of 150 candidates. :)

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    Never forget about the clearance though. Once you have it it's yours but if you don't use it for 2 years it has to be redone (Forms and background check) but now that you have a clearance job you're in there.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • grettlerjgrettlerj Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Once you get the Secret clearance it is good for 10 years unless you work in a job for more than 2 years that does not require it. I would always take the job that gives you the clearance over the non clearance if the pay is similar. Once you get the secret clearance you will eventually get a chance to get your Top Secret clearance. I see a bunch of jobs here in Texas that will give you a TS if you already have a secret.