Cost of RHCE exam

I'm in the process of booking the RHCE exam ( RH 302 ), and I have a doubt. I just want to know if the cost of the exam is the same everywhere ?

I found the RH302 cost = 799$ USD..is this price universal ?

I'm planning to take the exam on December...still didn't finish the material yet !!
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I've never seen anyone offering it cheaper anywhere else, when sold as a lone exam. It's $599 when combined with the course.

BTW, finish all that material before you take it! If you need any assistance with topics, feel free to post here.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    BTW, finish all that material before you take it! If you need any assistance with topics, feel free to post here.

+1 Not something you wanna blow $800 on
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    +1 Not something you wanna blow $800 on

And I figured the only way I could get myself to focus is by booking the exam icon_lol.gif

I booked it ! on 4th of December ! icon_neutral.gif

Haha that is a hell of a motivation tactic! Hoping to take mine around the same time. Good luck on your studies...any questions let me know icon_wink.gif
    hehe thank you guys ! will keep you posted !

Let's see who's gonna ace this exam ;) or maybe I better go study !

As a total side note....my RHCE book is coming out in digital format (hopefully mid Nov) if you need a last minute resource too icon_thumright.gif
    As a total side note....my RHCE book is coming out in digital format (hopefully mid Nov) if you need a last minute resource too icon_thumright.gif

sounds good ! yes of course I could totally use it :)

did you find a publisher ?

Yup icon_smile.gif The hard copy won't be out till Jan/Feb of next year (which is too late if you are taking the exam in Dec).

Still waiting on finite dates though...but I'll post as soon as I have them.
    Yup icon_smile.gif The hard copy won't be out till Jan/Feb of next year (which is too late if you are taking the exam in Dec).

Good job man ! Let's us when it's out :)

• brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549

What RHCE book are you referring to?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

Whats the price going to be on it? If I ever look deeper into Red Hat I'll def pick it up.
    Whats the price going to be on it? If I ever look deeper into Red Hat I'll def pick it up.

Honestly I'm not sure yet...I was concerned more with getting it published to reach a large audience in able to help them on the exam. Hoping to know all the details within the next two weeks.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif I'm crossing my fingers for ePub book format. Please tell me it is released through B&N (among other distributors).
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So how did you get lined up to write a RHCE book?
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    I went to study for the RHCE exam icon_wink.gif

Seriously though I refused to pay $3000 dollars for a training course, my company footed the bill for the *online* version (about $1700) which ended up being horrible, and the only book available on the market was Michael Jang's....which is from 2007 and kinda dated. The Asghar Ghori book came out and was decent, but I didn't like the writing style of him always *referring* you to other sections for information....plus there are no practice questions and only two labs that aren't very good.

I decided to write my own book and go the self publishing route...just happened to catch the attention of a publisher before I was about to submit my manuscript for self publishing. I asked around on the forums here for what the book should be about and used that feedback, plus my own research, plus experience to put together the book. It focuses on teaching the materials you need to know, but includes practices questions and tons of labs. I'm also including a set of scripts that you can use to verify processes as you work through the lab book (to make sure you are doing the tasks right), and another set of scripts that will randomly break things on your machine. All these things combined have proven to be what people need when studying for this exam.

Not sure if that answers your question, but that was the chain of events that lead to publication. I really just wanted to be able to help out those studying for this exam without making them run all over the internet trying to put together resources to study. Plus I love this forum so I thought it would be cool if I can contribute by providing a resource to help on a certifications. icon_thumright.gif
    Pretty much.

I have been through the official RHCE course (but no test because of being in Japan) and I do agree there are currently no books and I mean no books on the market that provide enough information for the RHCE. Best of luck with yours filling that mark because the only real choice is an enormous amount of experience or the real course.

I heard of people talk about Jang's book but after taking the course and then reviewing the book I thought it was near useless.

My question pertained to how you got the eye of the publisher more than the background sorry.
    Degrees:
    Each publisher of IT books, either for certification purposes or not, has a particular niche area that they focus on. If you look at each of their sites you can kinda get a feel for what each publisher markets. They also each have an "authors" page that talks about how you can become an author. Each has a proposal process that you need to go through and then you hear feedback on if they think your idea/book is good enough to fill their market or if they think it will be successful.

I went through the process of making the proposal for 3 different publishers and one of them just happened to think my book will fill the niche market that you just described for the RHCE exam. Getting their attention was really just a matter of proposing a good idea to them for a book. As they say "the rest is history"....
    Roger I have looked at similar information you are just the first person I have talked to that has had that route pan out for them. Others have been approached by publishers. Thanks for the info and congrats again on a major accomplishment.
    Degrees:
  • iSpaZZZiSpaZZZ Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nightshade,

Where are the RHCE scripts, they are not on sourceforge?

I've got a CentOS lab, and I would love to make use of them! :)
    [40%] CCNA
    [10%] MCSA / MCITP:SA < WHICH one?
    [2%] RHCE < what I WANT to do!
    iSpaZZZ wrote: »
    Nightshade,

Where are the RHCE scripts, they are not on sourceforge?

I've got a CentOS lab, and I would love to make use of them! :)

They will be located on sourceforge although I haven't released them yet. They will be available within the next few weeks (same time as the book).

@Chris - Thanks for the support. icon_thumright.gif
  • iSpaZZZiSpaZZZ Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They will be located on sourceforge although I haven't released them yet. They will be available within the next few weeks (same time as the book).

@Chris - Thanks for the support. icon_thumright.gif

Now that explains it!! The effort is appreciated :)

I am considering doing an RHCT(E) at some point and may well be tempted to get your book in the future, when do you expect a UK release?

Shows the quality of these forums.. hats off to nightshade icon_cool.gif
    [40%] CCNA
    [10%] MCSA / MCITP:SA < WHICH one?
    [2%] RHCE < what I WANT to do!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I look forward to downloading your book from pirate bay!

*kidding, kidding*

I'm assuming you'll share availability options when it comes out, and I'll be happy to help a fellow TE out. I'm planning to lean on the boss to get them to foot the bill for the RHCE next quarter, and it sounds like your book will be a good way to refresh myself before I head into the exam.
    I appreciate all the support everyone. Im really excited for it to come out. I will let everyone know asap.