Dress code for Lunch "interview"

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Then why actually decide ahead of time if you are just going to pause and act like you are deciding on the spot?

Yeh screw that. There is only one choice, 20oz rump steak with garlic bread and lots of sauce to get everywhere, four beers, two for yourself and two for your alcoholic friend Mr. mi. Sorted!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Then why actually decide ahead of time if you are just going to pause and act like you are deciding on the spot?

One less thing to stress about when you're there.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Before one gets too wound up about having lunch and what to order, this might just be where this person is meeting everyone. You're there to just meet him for 10-15mins and move on. I have had a few interviews at restaurants where the interviewer has been there all day interviewing people. It never came up if I wanted lunch or something to drink. Really depressing when you think "oh cool he is meeting me for lunch" and he pulls your resume out of the stack that is 3' thick.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    One less thing to stress about when you're there.

If you are stressing about what to order then you need some serious help lol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm less stressed about what to order than about the
    no elbows on the table (eek)
    chew with mouth closed (ok, I can do that one...)
    napkin in lap (what's a napkin?)
    use the proper fork/spoon/knife

Yeah I'm going a bit overboard but these tips are making me think of the old tv shows where women were sent to etiquette classes and taught how to speak & walk around with a book on their head hehehe.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pash wrote: »
    Yeh screw that. There is only one choice, 20oz rump steak with garlic bread and lots of sauce to get everywhere, four beers, two for yourself and two for your alcoholic friend Mr. mi. Sorted!

lol I want that minus the beer
  • superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea - you might not even be eating much. Panera is one of those places where you don't necessarily have to be eating a meal to be there - maybe you just have a drink or something little to nibble on...who knows. I wouldn't go hungry :) That way, even if you do eat, you can just grab something small and not worry much about eating it, and if you don't, well you're not hungry.

As for dress....I've heard from many people that you cannot overdress but you can underdress. If you show up in a suit and that's not what he had in mind, then he might think it awkward or unexpected, but it shouldn't hurt your image. However, if you show up in shorts, sandles, and a t-shirt (my all time attire), and this is not what he was expecting, then you're just out of luck.

So, you could always toss on a jacket / tie / slacks and you should be fine - maybe slightly overdressed or maybe not, but either way you should be safe.

Granted, I'm like some others on here who doesn't own the above, and probably need to invest....currently me "dressing up" is slacks and a button up shirt. Standard wear? shorts or jeans, polo or t-shirt, and almost always sandles ( yes even in winter). Slacks and the button shirt may get me by on most interviews (afterall, we CS / IT people are usually pretty laid back) but might not work as well on others...
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
    bermovick wrote: »
    use the proper fork/spoon/knife

You're at panera, pretty sure there is only 1 fork unless you grabbed 2, in which case they are the same so use whichever you wish ;)
    za3bour wrote: »
    lol I want that minus the beer

Haven't you ever seen those old Sam Adams commercials? Ordering a beer ensures your success!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I suit up no matter what. My suit (actually 3 for different times of year) I got from thrift stores and then got tailored. A lot cheaper than the 200 - 300 dollar deals a lot of people have mentioned. Freshly dry cleaned and if anyone around you smokes then have some febreeze to knock out the smell on the suit.
    Just be relaxed and be yourself and worry about being prepared for the actual interview. He's not judging you on everything but just on if you know your stuff and if he thinks you'll be a good fit at the company.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    We get to interview our staff that comes in to join us all the time. I don't wear a suit when they come in so anyone thinking that they're out-dressing their interviewer has never been to an interview. I don't remember the last time I went to an interview where I WASN'T more dressed than they were.

I agree with one of the above, even if it was in a pool; come with a suit or don't go. If anything, it's a sign of respect to yourself that you want to present your best foot forward. And LOL @ the salting comments. This really is a true thing? Glad I don't ever use salt except when I'm doing the cooking. Sheesh...
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    . And LOL @ the salting comments. This really is a true thing? Glad I don't ever use salt except when I'm doing the cooking. Sheesh...

Back in the days when a sport coat and tie was considered casual business dress, many corporations actually sent managers to interviewing classes. The salt or other food seasoning was just one of many "tells" for determining a persons business fit. Picking up your knife or fork and wiping it on your napkin rather than examining it and asking the waitperson for another if unacceptable to you was one other.

Each had a meaning about your visitors personality. These were also in sales closer classes to help build your attack based on tells and other body language. My classes are way in the past so I don't remember many off the top of my head. I am sure that in the right situation my inner voice would scream at me.

More than once I have seen a prospect get negative points for the salt thing so yes it is true.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    here's what you do, order just a coffee, and then be like, "oh, hey, are you paying? if so I'm going to get a lot more stuff" and then order a ton of food to go
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    here's what you do, order just a coffee, and then be like, "oh, hey, are you paying? if so I'm going to get a lot more stuff" and then order a ton of food to go

Of pull out your empty wallet and ask if he can spot you a few bucks. Works everytime.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I disagree entirely. All an employer is interested in from an interview is the below:-

1) experience required for role
    2) good fit for the role based on aptitude and attitude
    3) Good image for the company

Regardless that you may spend 99% of your time in the position in jeans and t-shirt, you are giving a first impression of how your image would be reflected as being part of that company. You always dress to impress, there is no compromise in my opinion.

I agree.

What type of weather are you having where you will interview? You 'might' be able to just go nice shirt and tie, but if it is a colder climate the suit jacket can double to ease the chill while keeping you look professional and not being over dressed.

I don't see how a suit is ever 'overkill' for a man. A nice fitting suit never looks out of place.

You are selling yourself. Unless you know 100% this is a jeans-type place, you could possibly go khaki's and nice shirt/tie, but saying a suit is overkill for anyone working in an office is quit a risk.

If you were a auto mechanic applying for a mechanic's job, I'd agree the risk of khaki's and nice shirt (no tie) would be fine. However, you're not going for a mechanic's job and I don't think I've heard from any of my colleagues complaining someone was overly dressed for wearing a suit or power professional clothing. I have heard (and witnessed) many not wearing appropriate clothing...but no complaints on business attire.

Do as you are comfortable...it is your possible job position.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah; it's gonna be cold so I'm seeing that a jacket might be good. Tricky part is finding a jacket that's 1) really cheap, and 2) doesn't look really cheap, and 3) matches the rest of the outfit.

OK; white shirt isn't hard to match with, nor is the black shoes. Wonder what color my slacks are. I've gotta go look since I haven't worn them in a while.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Back in the days when a sport coat and tie was considered casual business dress, many corporations actually sent managers to interviewing classes. The salt or other food seasoning was just one of many "tells" for determining a persons business fit. Picking up your knife or fork and wiping it on your napkin rather than examining it and asking the waitperson for another if unacceptable to you was one other.

Each had a meaning about your visitors personality. These were also in sales closer classes to help build your attack based on tells and other body language. My classes are way in the past so I don't remember many off the top of my head. I am sure that in the right situation my inner voice would scream at me.

More than once I have seen a prospect get negative points for the salt thing so yes it is true.

Remind me to never do a lunch interview. Not that I do any of that stuff but wow...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    God you guys are over-complicating this.

First of all, its a freaking Panera Bread. Just wear some slacks and a dress shirt with some decent dress shoes. If you get called back for a formal interview wear a suit.

Second, don't pre-screen the menu to know what you want in advance then build in some dramatic pause so as not to tip off the guy that you've researched the menu. If you don't know what you want to order going in who cares. Just order some food. If you go into lunch with the guy acting like its a formal interview its going to be off-putting because the guy probably 1.) wants to eat lunch and 2.) doesn't care about you wearing a suit or being able to precisely order from the menu.

Also, the salt thing is retarded.

Just research the company and express why you want to work there.

Sheesh.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    God you guys are over-complicating this.

First of all, its a freaking Panera Bread. Just wear some slacks and a dress shirt with some decent dress shoes. If you get called back for a formal interview wear a suit.

Second, don't pre-screen the menu to know what you want in advance then build in some dramatic pause so as not to tip off the guy that you've researched the menu. If you don't know what you want to order going in who cares. Just order some food. If you go into lunch with the guy acting like its a formal interview its going to be off-putting because the guy probably 1.) wants to eat lunch and 2.) doesn't care about you wearing a suit or being able to precisely order from the menu.

Sheesh.

Haha

I still hold the opinion that suit is best on any first meeting. But obviously an opinion is never correct, it is just that.....an opinion icon_wink.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Haha

I still hold the opinion that suit is best on any first meeting. But obviously an opinion is never correct, it is just that.....an opinion icon_wink.gif

Agreed. Always better safe then sorry. Why take the risk?
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Haha

Yep it depends on the circles that you move in or wish to move in one day. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Poker players rely on people believing things are retarded, so do advertisers.

Broke my rule to stay out of recruitment discussions. Opinions and sphincter muscles etc. etc. icon_lol.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For a catch phrase I was told a long time ago.

Dress for the job you want not the job you are currently in. Many of the engineers I work with wear suits and ties on certain days of the week or during events.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    bermovick wrote: »
    Yeah; it's gonna be cold so I'm seeing that a jacket might be good. Tricky part is finding a jacket that's 1) really cheap, and 2) doesn't look really cheap, and 3) matches the rest of the outfit.

OK; white shirt isn't hard to match with, nor is the black shoes. Wonder what color my slacks are. I've gotta go look since I haven't worn them in a while.

Check out a Men's Warehouse if you have them around you, at least you can pickup a jacket.

Otherwise, checkout Goodwill or some consignment stores where they'll have nice clothing much less expensive than new, but you will be limited on items and have to rely on 'luck' to find something your size/color...though near a larger city this shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure your 'old' stuff fits. Not wearing nice clothing in a while tends to make them 'shrink' ;)

Black shoes will easily go with most pants. Shirt could be white or blue, some benefits to blue, but don't get too hung up on that. Nice shoes (not necessarily new), pressed pants, ironed shirt, tie, jacket or not, but if you have one or can get one inexpensively...wear it. Copies of the resume, have some questions for the interviewer and go have a good interview!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    Paul Boz wrote: »

Sheesh.

I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking that way. I'm of the opinion that you're hiring me for my skills, not because I like salting my food, or I think suits in a fast food restaurant are silly, or because I have to worry about what my ordering the black bean soup versus the portabello mushroom sandwich says about my potential for workplace violence.

But then, I'm the guy that'll wear his earrings to the interview. I want you to know what you're getting, after all.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A few people are overthinking things on this thread. Turn up on time, dress smartly and use your manners. That's it. You have the advantage because the guy wants to meet you. Pay attention, listen and be relaxed in your responses. Don't forget to smile.
    A bit late I'm sure, but I came across this today.

Dining Etiquette: Don't Meet With Your Mouth Full - InsideTech.com

Nothing that common sense shouldn't take care of though.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    icon_profileleft.gif Did you get the job? icon_profileright.gif

icon_confused.gif:
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is all going to be based off of your metro area culture... I can see some geographies where dressing down would be suitable.

That being said, if you have to ask, where a suit.

Sometimes the "meal" interview, be it lunch or otherwise, is used to get other indicators like those referenced in the "Dining Etiquette" article. Also, some CEO was citing as stating he like to watch people's behaviors. For instance, if someone salts their food before they taste it... in that case he will not hire the person because he perceive impatient and a lack of thoroughness. EDIT (I see that this was brought up). Let me add, it may be "retarded" or ridiculous, but the person is decided whether or not to hire you... if you want the job, it is just something you have to deal with, like anything else with the job.

Be on your best behavior, dress appropriately, and behave in a such a way that conveys that you are an intelligent person that surveys his environment. Remember, you are not their to satisfy our appetite... you are interviewing. Maybe eat a light meal before you go in so you aren't hungry... could affect your blood sugar and you might eat quickly otherwise.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    A Turn up on time, dress smartly and use your manners. That's it. You have the advantage because the guy wants to meet you. Pay attention, listen and be relaxed in your responses. Don't forget to smile.

I don't think there is a better answer than that!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I don't think there is a better answer than that!

+1 I agree.