Interviewer missed our scheduled phone interview

I waited for too long for my scheduled interview today and they did not call. I have a very little sleep preparing for that technical interview. I have canceled things I have to do because I really like the job. I decided to send them an email but but I never receive any reply. It's my first time to encounter this...don't know if they will ask for a reschedule. It's just a way disappointing when you've done your homework and they don't call at the agreed time. icon_redface.gif
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been put in this situation before. In my case, the hiring manager did not call because he expected the candidate to call him to guage interest level (wierd mind game I guess). In your case I would either follow up with the company or recruiter you are dealing with.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a frustrating situation. As we've seen in other threads interviewers and hiring managers expect you to call if you're going to be late but it seems that some of them don't feel the need to extend that courtesy to their candidates. It seems very rude. I'm sure if you were late it would reflect very negatively on you if you were even able to sit the interview.

If you need the job or really want to work there try contacting them again with a phone call. I'm not sure about the situation in the Philippines but in America it's an employer's market so I wouldn't bring it up in an interview at all. It stinks that you rescheduled your whole day to sit there but that's essentially the market we face right now.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    neocybe wrote: »
    I've been put in this situation before. In my case, the hiring manager did not call because he expected the candidate to call him to guage interest level (wierd mind game I guess). In your case I would either follow up with the company or recruiter you are dealing with.

That's a copout excuse for someone that forgot to call. Saying that you'll call, whether you're a manager or a entry level employee, then not doing it, is unprofessional. Just like he/she may feel its a gauge of ones interest I feel its a gauge of the competency of that hiring manager.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    That's a copout excuse for someone that forgot to call. Saying that you'll call, whether you're a manager or a entry level employee, then not doing it, is unprofessional. Just like he/she may feel its a gauge of ones interest I feel its a gauge of the competency of that hiring manager.

+1

Best that you don't work for him anyway.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »

I also +1 this.

There is no reason whatsoever to be disrespected and the lack of a phone call from either party about is rude on so many levels but it's especially true of the hiring manager since he/she is held to a higher standard.

If this were just for the interview, I could only imagine what the job would be like...but I can only imagine that being punked and played would be part of the standard work day.

I would pass on this job and move on to the next one.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    ^
    Ditto. This happend to me once. The IT Director didn't bother calling me, but emailed me after he said he was going to call me at 1 PM that he was stuck in a meeting and he would get back to me to reschedule.

I personally never liked emails unless I need a paper trail or something in writing. I called and left him two voicemails and nothing. Kinda drops the crediblity/professionality of that company DOWN in my books.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to ask before jumping on the +1 bandwagon of "its rude"

Who were you supposed to interview with?

Who scheduled the interview?

Any chance of a miscommunication on date/time?

These might seem like cop outs but I actually experienced something similar when trying to get into my current job. I had interviewers call me at different times than expected for a variety of reasons.

At my current job I had a phone interviews/meeting with each member of the team before the company flew me down to visit but a number of my phone interviews/meetings were messed up...

1. I booked a date and time with the recruiter for an interview with the hiring manager. Recruiter passed information to hiring manager and it was either wrong, read incorrectly or the manager (now boss) wanted to see how quickly I could think on my feet because I got the call a day early.

2. I had several problems with the time zone difference. I was on EST and the company was CST. Just to resolve the issue once and for all I would schedule myself out for the hour before and after the selected time because if I booked the time as 3pm EST with one person who then passed it off to the next team member as 3pm, I would get the call at 4PM (an hour late). Or vice versa, if I booked the time as 3pm CST and they passed it off to the next team member as 3PM and the next team member trying to be considerate, considers my time zone, Id get the call at 3PM EST (an hour early). Of course there were a few times where we got it just right...

In addition to that, keep in mind that in IT, sometimes things blow-up and the manager may have been pulled away to deal with an emergency. The manager should, however, have called after the emergency was dealt with to apologize, explain and reschedule.

One last thing to keep in mind, I dont fully agree with the comments about managers expectations that you call ahead if your running late but they dont have to call you if they are going to be late. Should they? Yes. Do they have to? No. Whats the difference?

You as an interviewee are looking for work (regardless as of current employment) and, in theory at least, looking for work is your full-time job.
    On the other hand, the manager as the interviewer has work and is taking time away from his/her normally assigned responsibilities and duties to interview you. Additionally, the manager controls the agenda and pace of the interview.
    So if the manager is running late, they should out of courtesy and respect, let you know but the expectation is that you scheduled time with them and if they start late but finish on time there is no "real" difference to you and your schedule but, if you are going to be late they either need to increase the pace of the interview, reduce the agenda or rework their schedule to accommodate, thus you should let them know.

Where it gets tricky is if the manager shows up late (or totally blows you off without explanation as is the case here) and then expects you to stay longer than you scheduled or reschedule to accommodate them. This shows a total lack of respect for your time at which point I fully agree that you should evaluate just how badly you want to work there.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    apr911 wrote: »
    One last thing to keep in mind, I dont fully agree with the comments about managers expectations that you call ahead if your running late but they dont have to call you if they are going to be late. Should they? Yes. Do they have to? No. Whats the difference?

You as an interviewee are looking for work (regardless as of current employment) and, in theory at least, looking for work is your full-time job.
    On the other hand, the manager as the interviewer has work and is taking time away from his/her normally assigned responsibilities and duties to interview you. Additionally, the manager controls the agenda and pace of the interview.
    So if the manager is running late, they should out of courtesy and respect, let you know but the expectation is that you scheduled time with them and if they start late but finish on time there is no "real" difference to you and your schedule but, if you are going to be late they either need to increase the pace of the interview, reduce the agenda or rework their schedule to accommodate, thus you should let them know.

Where it gets tricky is if the manager shows up late (or totally blows you off without explanation as is the case here) and then expects you to stay longer than you scheduled or reschedule to accommodate them. This shows a total lack of respect for your time at which point I fully agree that you should evaluate just how badly you want to work there.

Again, if the lack of basic respect will not exist during the interview process, I can only imagine what it will be like during actual work.

I think it is ok for a candidate to show up at 11, maybe wait 10-30 minutes. During that time though, one is usually filling out the paperwork, and perhaps they are observing how well you wait. That is probably all right and is normal.

(If I'm unemployed) I do want a job, but not at the expense of my pride and self-respect. Courtesy does go both ways...

Yes, there are others who would disagree and would do anything for the almighty buck. There's a word for that, but I'm not looking to be censored. :)
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they don't respect you now how can you know they will respect you later ?
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    za3bour wrote: »
    If they don't respect you now how can you know they will respect you later ?

Good point. I dunno if this applies to everyone but I have found that the job appears so "hard" and "challenging" on paper and during the interview but once you get the job and you are working the first few days it isn't as bad as they interviewers make it seem.

I even had a contact inside a company one time tell me "we really don't use Citrix, not sure why they even have it on the job description". Funny how it works.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow I've never heard this happening. Very rude of them to do this to you. Unless this job is your dream job, you might want to consider not pursuing it further as the company seems pretty unprofessional. Hope everything works out for you.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    apr911 wrote: »
    In addition to that, keep in mind that in IT, sometimes things blow-up and the manager may have been pulled away to deal with an emergency. The manager should, however, have called after the emergency was dealt with to apologize, explain and reschedule.

This happened to me this week for a scheduled phone interview. It does happen.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You know what you have to do... Find out where he lives rophenol and then drag him intothe garage. Water board him in front of his kids and request a new interview.

If that fails don't worry about it it was just an interview not a pregnancy test. Men have survived worse and so will you.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the manager never got back then it's possible they already filled the job. It may be discourteous that he didn't get back to you but not the end of the world. There will be other interviews and other job openings.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GAngel wrote: »
    You know what you have to do... Find out where he lives rophenol and then drag him intothe garage. Water board him in front of his kids and request a new interview.

If that fails don't worry about it it was just an interview not a pregnancy test. Men have survived worse and so will you.

What the heck is rophenol? And why does my drink tast funny? Crap, not again... Dynamik!?!?!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Recruiters for large DoD oriented firms are the same way, with phone calls AND emails.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed